Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a 4 day drive from hopkins acura in redwood city, ca to houston, tx...

it was fun playing with the nav system but i was rather disappointed with the system and it's limitations...

as soon as i total up the gas receipts and mileage, i'll post mileage details and a critique of the nav system. the kindest thing i can say about it is that it shows you how to get from A to B... as long as you like the route it picks for you...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Number 6:

___Well what about the X overall, I am sure you like that ;)

___Also, welcome to the X owner club!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, talk about breaking in the engine quick! Congrats on your X!:2:

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was pretty hard...

NOT driving the new MDX at 90 all the way!

i couldn't leave the bay area until late afternoon on monday because i had to deliver my former NSX to it's new owner and we had to jump through some hoops for his financing. i finally left redwood city about 17:30. i needed to make some stops to get a small ice chest and snacks. this was when i found the first difficulty with the nav system. i challenge you navi folks out there to try to find the nearest walmart with it. it was happy to find the walmart in livonia, michigan or panama city, florida but not the one right in front of me that's been there for at least 2 years. anyway, i hit the road for san luis obispo, driving between 55 and 65. got there about 22:00.

the next morning, tuesday, i used the nav system again to find my friend's new office. i just put in the address and it took me right there which was fortunate since she told me it was next to the "new times" building. what i didn't know was that the new times had moved since i was last near it. i kept wondering why the nav system wanted me to go where it wanted me to but it worked. after we had coffee i headed for my storage unit to grab a few things. i then set out for so cal and my mom's house in murrieta. the drive was uneventful but the nav system wanted to route me through downtown LA at rush hour. as soon as i bypassed the route it wanted, it immediately recalculated the new route. eventually we finally agreed on the correct route and it took me there. when i arrived, however, it insisted my mom's house was on the other side of the street. mom and i had a quick dinner and i left to see how far i wanted to get that nite before calling it a day. i ended up in indio, ca. this is when i discovered that unless the nav system has detailed mapping of an area, you REALLY need to watch where you want to go. it will tell you to take the next left to get on the freeway when what you actually have to do it take a right and make a 270 degree turn to get you back to where it thinks left is.

the next morning, wednesday, i hit the road for houston before first light. i was determined that i would not drive any distance at night but i didn't mind driving into the approaching daylight. by now, i had over 600 miles on the MDX so i set the cruise control for 90 and let it fly. i made a quick stop in blythe, ca for coffee and arrived in phoenix about 10:00. i used the search feature on the nav system to find a mexican restaurant for breakfast. since leaving redwood city, i had been troubled by the nav system insisting that i needed to take I-40 through oklahoma city to get to houston, about 350 miles out of my way. no matter what i did with the system it would not drop the idea that i needed to go to phoenix on I-10, then north on I-17 to flagstaff, then east on I-40 to oke city, then south on I-45 to houston and, belive me, i tried everything. once i left phoenix on I-10, it finally got the idea. i stopped for the night in las cruces, new mexico. the nav system helped me find the cattle baron restaurant for dinner. the directions i got from the hotel front desk were so convoluted that i might not have been able to find it with their written instructions.

up again early the next morning before sunrise. i continued through el paso and stopped for breakfast in van horn, texas at chuy's restaurant for another mexican breakfast. this place is in john madden's "haul of fame" as he stops there every time he passes through on his way to the next monday night game. the place is filled with madden memorobilia including his own director's chair. i told the owner that i went to the same university as john madden (cal poly san luis obispo). he was impressed! LOL! i promised i'd send him a mustangs pennant to surprise madden with next time he was there.

back on the road. my radar detector was working great, until... about 10 miles west of junction, tx, i got ONE ping on the detector. the next thing i know i was being pulled over by kimble county sheriff's dept. the deputy was an older guy (kind of looked like richard farnsworth if you know the actor). very nice man. we had a chat by the freeway. i asked him about the radar unit he was using since i only got one ping. he told me it was a "stalker" that does not emit signals until it it goes active for about 1 second then shuts down again. it doesn't work in a group of cars since the radar is supposed to be used for verification of what the deputy observes but since i was the only car, he had me cold. thus i learned the hard way about the limitations of all radar detectors. anyway, it will cost me about $150 when all is said and done. oh, on the ticket, he had me down as "black" and a "toyota"! i'm not sure what i'm most insulted by, the color or the make! (our MDX is sage brush pearl).

continued on through san antonio and stopped in seguin for dinner at about 16:30. finally arrived home about 19:20.

that's the travelog... impressions to follow in the next message...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice detailed write-up. The Navi. is abit quirky sometimes, but hey it really help out as now the wifey don't have to navigate, allowing everybody to enjoy the ride in peace.:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey Number6,

It's not the NAV's fault (when it does things like say take a left when you infact need to briefly take a right 1st then you turn around to go the targeted left). Blame that on the PISS-POOR and outdated road designs in a majority of the USA. It's quite embarrasing actually. I've been to many supposed "3rd world" countries that put the USA's roads to shame. I understand it's a huge country, but come on. Some areas are just rediculous.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Number 6

Great return trip! Congratulations on your new X. Do you remember what the engine RPM's were at 90? About 2900?
Thanks
jjtoma

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
4 day impressions...

i love this car. there is no doubt about the quality and most of the design work. that being said:

the cup holders are tiny and in awkward locations. i like the gigantic size coffee and soft drinks. none of the holders will accomodate them or even a normal sized soft drink bottle. it might hold cans but i didn't try it.

i would have liked an armrest on the outside of the driver's seat. the arm ledge built into the door is too far away to lounge comfortably.

throttle response seems a bit touchy but probably something i'll get used to.

the fake wood looks really fake.

the auto dimming rearview mirror doesn't get CLOSE to acceptable dimming for me. unless they can do something about that, i'm going to look into getting a standard flip-up mirror instead.

the rear hatch doesn't open tall enough. i haven't hit my head yet but i know it's a matter of time.

there seems to be a bit of wind noise from the outside mirrors over 80 or so.

i would have liked a telescoping steering wheel in addition to the up-down thing. i like to sit back on long drives and i felt like i had to stretch out my arms from my seating position.

that's all i can think of for now. i'm sure i'll add something later when i drive it again. my wife has taken it over now. she thinks it's "her car"... uh huh...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jjtoma said:
Hello Number 6

Great return trip! Congratulations on your new X. Do you remember what the engine RPM's were at 90? About 2900?
Thanks
jjtoma
i thought they were much lower. around 2300 or so. i'll check it again. i remember thinking that they were lower than my NSX in 6th gear.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nav system stuff...

if this is a great improvement over the previous year's models, i can't imagine how bad it was before.

the most obvious thing was the route it wanted me to take to houston. almost 350 miles longer. i was thinking that even if the database thought there was an interruption in I-10 (there wasn't/isn't) it could have taken me off the freeway and routed me on city streets until it could rejoin I-10. this was VERY disturbing as i now have my doubts about everything else it does.

i know i have a speedometer but i would like the GPS to tell me how fast i'm going, too, since it's FAR more accurate than the speedo.

how does it figure out time to destination??? no matter how fast i went, it calculated at roughly 50 MPH. does it use an average speed? no matter, i want to know how long at the current speed i'm driving.

the voice command thing... jeez... i finally figured out that i have to lean back in the seat and YELL into the mike to get it to understand most commands. some worked at normal speaking voice without leaning back but most, lean back and yell!

street addresses: the most accurate way of finding your destination but it seems about 3 out of 4 times it thinks your destination is on the wrong side of the street.

in a previous post i talked about it thinking you need to make a left 90 degree turn when you need to make a right 270. this may be a mapping error but still it caused me to miss several turns. it did the same thing in indio when it told me to make a right when i actually had to make a left then a 180 because the street i was supposed to turn right on was an overpass running over the street i was driving on and i had to go to the end of the overpass before turning back and crossing over.

i also don't like it only displaying track up on the close-in scales. if i want track up, i want track up no matter what range is displayed.

trying to find anything in it's database is hit or miss at best with about 80% misses. how tough can it be to find a walmart??? i also found lots of misspellings in the database. so far the search by phone number is useless even with listed numbers.

all in all, i was greatly disappointed in the nav. some are hardware/firmware issues, most are software issues. i would probably still buy the system knowing what i know now but that's mostly because i like gadgets. this GPS is still at the gadget stage and NOT a mature system.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's not a FMS.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
catzx6 said:
It's not a FMS.
:D THAT i certainly noticed... what do you fly?

·
Registered
104 Posts
catcx6 - I noticed you use a protable DVD player. I'm thinking of doing this also, and therefore did not buy the RES. Does using a portable player work well? Any advice about using one in the MDX? I was thinking of getting the Toshiba since it has progressive scan and high resolution.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mileage for the trip...

drum roll...

18.27 MPG...

90% freeway, 10% city, no hard accelerating, freeway speeds no more than 65-70 during break-in (first 600 miles) then mostly 80-90. it was very windy for about 4-5 hours across west, central, and hill country texas.

should i be disappointed?

P.S. total driving distance (including a couple of short side trips for food, etc) was 2158 miles minus probably 60 miles for the visit to mom... about 2100 total. what a PITA... literally! and i did it solo...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: mileage for the trip...

Number 6 said:
drum roll...

18.27 MPG...

90% freeway, 10% city, no hard accelerating, freeway speeds no more than 65-70 during break-in (first 600 miles) then mostly 80-90. it was very windy for about 4-5 hours across west, central, and hill country texas.

should i be disappointed?
Number 6,

First of all, congratulations on your recent purchase.

18+ mpg is a tad bit low. I'd check again after 7500 miles, should be 20+.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: mileage for the trip...

mdxxxx said:

Number 6,

First of all, congratulations on your recent purchase.

18+ mpg is a tad bit low. I'd check again after 7500 miles, should be 20+.
thank you, sir... now if i can just get my wife out of it...

i suppose we'll have to take some kind of trip after the first service to see if the mileage has upped. the dealer (as well as many threads here) did warn me that the mileage would be a bit low for a while. and i did use premium.

thanks for the congrats... we do love it, NAV system excluded! :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Number 6, I fly the CRJ-200 and 700. I'm a check airman/APD on both types. I've also got an EMB-120 type.

Namegoeshere, the portable DVD works great, if you don't mind a few wires when the kids are playing games. They keep everything pretty much tucked under the front seats. I've got an inverter that plugs into the power port in the console. We flip the center console open, and the player rides there nicely . Highly recommended if you don't have RES.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts