Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Perhaps, but there really isn't any excuse in my opinion for having a transmission fail after 550 miles even if it's a new redesign and/or new engine/transmission combo. That type of thing wouldn't happen with Toyota and never used to happen to Honda (Honda quality is nothing like it once was)

Does Honda have any vehicles that use the 3.5 and 10 speed combo? Or only the turbo 4 like the rdx?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
The honda Odyssey was the first to pair the 10 speed and 3.5L. I believe the honda accord 2.0T uses a 10 speed also but not sure if it is the same 10-speed. The ridgeline, pilot, etc will all convert to 10 speed transmission with the 3.5L combo soon probably. The ZF 9-speed is sort of weak, that transmission was designed for a 8-speed and they kind of crammed the extra gear in there. I think honda went in house because they thought they could do it better than the 9-speed and save on costs/control the software. The ZF 8-speed is good and probably would have been good enough for the MDX but 2 extra gears probably nets .5-1mpg more.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The ZF 8 speed is longitudinal. It only works for NSX for Honda. On TLX and MDX, it's the first for the combo 10AT+V6+AWD.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Perhaps, but there really isn't any excuse in my opinion for having a transmission fail after 550 miles even if it's a new redesign and/or new engine/transmission combo. That type of thing wouldn't happen with Toyota and never used to happen to Honda (Honda quality is nothing like it once was)
Toyota had big issues with their 8 speed direct shift in the 2017+ Highlander. Neighbors had theirs bought back after 1500 miles for the same reason.
More gears, more tech, more computers, more problems. Inexpensive car ownership is becoming an oxymoron :p My new philosophy is buy a car you love to drive so you have no regrets when the repair bills come

·
Registered
149 Posts
The ZF 8 speed is longitudinal. It only works for NSX for Honda. On TLX and MDX, it's the first for the combo 10AT+V6+AWD.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
This.
BTW ..... I have ZF8 in my 235i 6 cylinder turbo and its one great tranny. Geared for performance. Quick shifts and 75 mph is around 2100 rpms. The ZF9 in my 20 Advance has been flawless after 8K miles but doesn’t shift quite as quick. It runs approx. 1750-1800 rpms at 75 and is geared more for mpg.
Two complete different trannys.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I wonder how many of these 'transmission failures' are true mechanical failures within the transmission versus software issues that will ultimately be fixed with updates? I wouldn't be surprised if many techs just opt to swap it out rather than pursue a software resolution since they can't fix the software themselves and need to rely on the engineers for that yet they know how to swap a trans. Almost certainly the programming of the transmission changed for the MDX/10sp combo versus that same trans in other applications. Maybe these are early software bug issues as opposed to hardware issues in the trans. The question will get answered eventually but it's likely too early to know yet (except by Acura engineering, who likely knows by now).

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder how many of these 'transmission failures' are true mechanical failures within the transmission versus software issues that will ultimately be fixed with updates? I wouldn't be surprised if many techs just opt to swap it out rather than pursue a software resolution since they can't fix the software themselves and need to rely on the engineers for that yet they know how to swap a trans. Almost certainly the programming of the transmission changed for the MDX/10sp combo versus that same trans in other applications. Maybe these are early software bug issues as opposed to hardware issues in the trans. The question will get answered eventually but it's likely too early to know yet (except by Acura engineering, who likely knows by now).
There are at least a few true failures, according to the one poster who said the dealer told him his transmission was done for and needed to be replaced on his 2022 after 550 miles.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are at least a few true failures, according to the one poster who said the dealer told him his transmission was done for and needed to be replaced on his 2022 after 550 miles.
"done for" could also mean software errors out of their expertise
Perhaps replacement was the fastest way to get the customer back on the road

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder how many of these 'transmission failures' are true mechanical failures within the transmission versus software issues that will ultimately be fixed with updates?
This transmission has been around for several years though, hasn't it? It doesn't make sense to me that it could be a mechanical failure - why isn't it showing up in the other cars
that use it?

I hope to be taking delivery of a '22 MDX soon - this tranny issue is a bit distressing. I still have a little PTSD from the tranny issues with my former 2001 CL.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This transmission has been around for several years though, hasn't it? It doesn't make sense to me that it could be a mechanical failure - why isn't it showing up in the other cars
that use it?

I hope to be taking delivery of a '22 MDX soon - this tranny issue is a bit distressing. I still have a little PTSD from the tranny issues with my former 2001 CL.
To the point earlier it could be the combination of 3.5 engine with the 10 speed with SH-AWD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. I love the car and love the deal I am getting even more. This groups feedback has been more than invaluable in my decision making process.
I live in Goodyear, AZ, just south of Peoria. Acura of Peoria has serviced my 2019 MDX since it was new and I am quite pleased with the shop. Have a nice trip back to Washinton and good luck with your new rig!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it's a mistake to assume initial car quality (vs. long term reliability) based on the brand.
Though some brands (Toyota) tends to deliver better than most others.

I also had the negative impression of MB (for reliability) but my GLE purchase last year changed that view (it's been flawless) and that was I think first model year car (2016). May be long term won't match up with Japanese cars.

I was also fortunate to purchase 2019 MDX Hybrid brand new that has 7 speed transmission.
This car has been excellent as well (no major issues at all, other than door side panels peeling, which was fixed right away).

I would not go by few complaints out of thousands of cars sold.
Acura is a reliable brand and with 4 year warrantee you have peace of mind if anything goes wrong.
You like the car so get it and enjoy, you are experiencing large purchase jitters :)

Reactions: jefferson88

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I just have to say, we‘ve been purchasing Acura’s since 1999. And yes, my 2002 TL Type S had its transmission replaced as well as my 1999 TL. However, Acura stood behind there product and covered the cost on both. I’ve had several other TL’s and am on my third MDX, a 22 A-Spec. My 12 MDX TECH had the oil consumption issue, also covered under a TSB, and. I’ll just say my 2012 was the best MDX I’ve own so far. Regular maintenance only and always done at the dealer.. I’ve ownd my 22 A-Spec for thee months now and other than a rear door needing a minor adjust to bring it closer to the body so that it sits flush, I haven’t experienced any other issues or problems with It. As far as the transmission is concerned, I feel it shifts as it was programmed to do,and that is to get maximum fuel economy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Everyone-

I just ordered my 2022 A-Spec in Peoria, AZ and plan on flying down from Washington State to pick it up when it arrives in two weeks. My deal is pretty sound. They gave me $1,800 off MSRP as well as the $1,000 for trading in my Lexus and I took advantage of the 0.9% for 48 months.

I love the look and feel of the MDX and I am a fan of the infotainment system after using it for 15 minutes. I just wish it could go to full screen and remove the awful small right side window. Other than that, the vehicle is spot on for my needs. I looked at the Mercedes GLE, BMW X3 and X5 and the Tesla Model X but their overall reliability drove me back to Acura.

Will all this being said, my excitement to get the new MDX, I am growing hesitant to complete my purchase with the negative experiences/issues people are seeing with the 2022 MDX on this forum and a local dealership in Washington. I hear the fanboys says, 'All First Year Models Have Issues' but to me, that is a poor excuse for a luxury car brand. I can see this with a KIA or Nissan but not Lexus or Acura. These cars are tested for months if not years before the public touches them. Especially things like a transmission and brakes. A post yesterday was from a forum member that stated his 2022 MDX 'stopped accelerating on the interstate', for a brand new vehicle, this is concerning.

As a Lexus owner, we never visit the dealer unless its routine maintenance. So my question for the group is, how has your experience been so for? Do you have any regrets?

I realize that a ton of people come to these forums when they have issues to get feedback so I am sure that are a ton of happy 2022 MDX owners out there and I would love to hear from you.

TR
I am on my 5th MDX, welcomed in 2 gens. One had a short wire in the steering column assembly and when I adjusted the powered wheel position system it broke the wire killing everything. Not even a new gen. Anyway, they picked it up quickly and hauled it on a flatbed for a 250 mile trip the the dealer, the tech had not seen such a thing and it took him 15 mins to figure it out and fix it. They trucked it back the next day. (No Acura, Lexus or Infiniti dealers in Montana). That was a fluke and didn't bother me at all. There are a ton of new systems in the 2022 MDX but they are substantially identical to those that have been in the RDX since 19 so lots of experience with those gizmos. I bought a 20 RDX for my wife and I really like it. I am an old geezer so it took me quite awhile to accept the touch pad and often I swear at it but it is now almost acceptable. I just wish they'd pop for a $1-2 capacitive addition to the screen to make it a touchscreen. It really is that simple. Then one could have it all ways. I still find the touch pad can be distracting at times. Not sure why you have to leave WA to buy one unless it is simply because there aren't any in WA....LOL. They are sure sold out there, I know some dealers are taking orders for maybe Jan. I am waiting for the Type S and that is going to be tough to get too. Just be sure to give your new AZ ride a really good shake-down. Flog the sucker, run it over washboards, etc. Don't accept it til any and all issues are fixed. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is truth to that statement though. Every car that is produced will start to build a history of known issues, and the manufacturer will address these problems with TSBs as soon as they correct the issues. Look at any generation of MDX on this forum and there will be a full listing of TSBs (repairs for known issues) for the model year of that vehicle.
Generally speaking, cars that are produced later have fewer issues because they are manufactured with the fixes already in place compared to the first car that rolled off the production line, but by no means does that mean the first MY of a car is bad. Along those lines, the list of TSBs for 2017 MDX (the year I own) is quite long, but my vehicle has had exactly zero of those known issues and has been trouble-free for the 50k miles it has on it.
I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this: every model of car will someday have known issues, but that's okay for 2 reasons: 1) Acura will develop a fix for any issues it may have and fix them under warranty, and 2) your vehicle may never even have one of these known issues.

I do not own a 2022 MDX, but from my perspective as a lurker there have been a handful of people with brake issue and one person so far with total transmission failure. Out of the 10,000+ units that have already been sold this year, a few bad units does not indicate this generation of MDX is going to be troublesome.

If I were you, I'd eagerly be waiting to get my hands on this new car and I wouldn't give it a second thought because the reliability of any car you purchase -- Acura, BMW, Lexus, or any other -- is out of your control. (assuming you maintain it properly of course)
I beg to differ on your assertion that Acura will develop a fix for any issues. I can name two that plague the third gen (mine’s a 2014): window/door gaskets that don’t seal completely and allow noise and air to flow through tiny gaps between the windows and the door frames. I had mine replaced under warranty to no avail. The manager said they all do that and that unfortunately there was no fix as there was never an improvement/upgrade to the gaskets. I use business cards folded in half to shove between the window and gasket of EACH AND EVERY DOOR to alleviate the problem. The issue has diminished somewhat in subsequent years but did not disappeared entirely. I’ve experienced the same in every MDX loaner I get (once per year). I was HUGELY disappointed with Acura’s handling of a widespread problem.

The second issue was widespread as well. Due to a poor placement of the temperature sensor for the rear air conditioning, the rear vents blow warm or hot air when the ac temp is lowered. If the auto setting is at, say 70 degrees on a hot summer day (set to SYNC with the rear temperature) all vents initially blow cold air, but after a short while, the rears blow warm/hot due to the faulty sensor placement, for which Acura had no fix for the entire generation. The only solution was to forego the “SYNC” setting and set the rear a/c to a much lower temperature than the front, or set the “SYNC” temp at/near the lowest temp to trick the rear sensor into permitting cold air to go to the rear, but the front passengers get unusually cold REAL fast in that scenario.

ALL in all, my MDX (Tech Sport AWD) has been mechanically sound, but the fit and finish was below Honda levels, yet alone Acura’s, and unresolved problems (two mentioned) plus ongoing squeaks and rattles which the dealer couldn’t resolve will prevent me from buying another Acura any time soon. Caveat emptor: do NOT expect ACURA to resolve everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In fairness to all of those that have provided input, I would like to underscore that while posts on this forum should not be ignored, as stated, OP is seeing input from a relatively small % of '22 MDX owners. Most of the posts pertain to occurrences that will not result in a non-drivable car or safety hazard, but rather "annoyances" which need to documented so that the can be addressed and corrected by Acura. As an example, the "brake system" message that many of us on this forum have experienced. Unfortunately, this may mean a trip to a dealer. The good news here is that fellow forum readers are made aware of known issues in advance of them occurring (if they actually occur in your vehicle).

Also as has been alluded to in some of the other responses, there have been studies that quantify behaviors as they pertain to positive vs negative experiences. While the studies may a bit aged, what the studies found was that a satisfied customer will tell one to two others about their experiences while unhappy customers will tell about 7 others. Since the studies were prior to internet & blogs, the numbers now are certainly different, though the concept and ratios are likely still accurate as they stem from human behavior.

As for such things as a transmission failure or engine failure, they are typically isolated incidents that can and do happen in nearly every mass produced brand vehicle.

As for a certainty of problems, my '22 MDX replaced my '07 MDX. You may recall that '07 was the launch of the gen 2 MDX. Mine was an early production vehicle and I had zero issues or problems. In fact, for the 14 years and 200k miles that I owned, I had no problems, and, it was still running strong when I got rid of it.

I hope the above is helpful. Also, please forgive any typos as I am posting this "on the fly".

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember transmission issues for RDX when the new generation first came out. But I went to acurazine and looked again today, and I didn't see any complaints on transmission. Maybe the 10 speed is fixed on that platform?
I, too, am excited to receive my 2022 Acura MDX ASPEC which should be coming next week. I've gone from the 2019 RDX Elite to 2020 RDX ASPEC and now here I am. I wrote about some of the nagging issues of the 2020 on Acurazine (Upgrading from 2020 RDX to 2022 MDX A-SPECS - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community) such as the squealing brakes from day 1,wired android play originally not available and then cutting in and out, and a fried engine on the gorgeous moonroof. No transmission issues after driving the 2020 10 speed for almost 30,000km. All nagging issues were fixed with updates and all covered on warranty. They tried to fix the brakes (its not just the pads) twice but due to COVID just never found the right system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Canuckoholic (& others too)- FWIW, while I did not experience brake squeals on my '07 MDX (Gen 2), I did experience warped rotors on a frequent basis. After "spirited" driving and going through three sets of rotors that warped in the first 30K miles (which as I recall are typically not covered under warranty as they are considered a "normal wear item"), I did some research only to discover that Honda OEM rotors had a reputation for easily warping. While I am hoping that Honda/Acura has since addressed that issue, at least for the '22 MDX, if they have not and if/when they're not covered under warranty, you may want to consider aftermarket. In my case, again on my '07 not the '22, I utilized BrakePerformance.com. Aside from the many variations that are offer (e.g. smooth, slotted and dimpled, slotted and drilled, etc), they offer a lifetime warranty (as long as original purchaser owns the vehicle) on most of their brake rotors. I actually tested their lifetime warranty policy as I had a one pair of the rotors warp at about 180K miles. The warranty replacement process could not have been any easier- they looked up my original purchase, sent me a new pair of rotors & told me to return the old/warped ones once they were replaced with the new ones.

Back to my original point- let's hope there are no brake problems (squealing, warping, or otherwise) on our new MDX's!

Please note that I am not affiliated in any way with BrakePerformance though I am a happy customer.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Does Honda have any vehicles that use the 3.5 and 10 speed combo? Or only the turbo 4 like the rdx?

Current RDX using 10AT. So, it is not unique combination to AWD, in terms of 3.5 vs. 2 turbo. I believe it is comparable engines wrt power/torgue.
In general there are 2 types of issues - design or parts/assembly.
If design bad - all (or almost all) will have this problem. So far I read about 2-3 really bad transmission issues. So, I don't think this is really design issue.
With today COVID situation (people working/not working, etc.) I see very easy for bad parts to sneak or some poorly trained technician did something wrong.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts