Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone-

I just ordered my 2022 A-Spec in Peoria, AZ and plan on flying down from Washington State to pick it up when it arrives in two weeks. My deal is pretty sound. They gave me $1,800 off MSRP as well as the $1,000 for trading in my Lexus and I took advantage of the 0.9% for 48 months.

I love the look and feel of the MDX and I am a fan of the infotainment system after using it for 15 minutes. I just wish it could go to full screen and remove the awful small right side window. Other than that, the vehicle is spot on for my needs. I looked at the Mercedes GLE, BMW X3 and X5 and the Tesla Model X but their overall reliability drove me back to Acura.

Will all this being said, my excitement to get the new MDX, I am growing hesitant to complete my purchase with the negative experiences/issues people are seeing with the 2022 MDX on this forum and a local dealership in Washington. I hear the fanboys says, 'All First Year Models Have Issues' but to me, that is a poor excuse for a luxury car brand. I can see this with a KIA or Nissan but not Lexus or Acura. These cars are tested for months if not years before the public touches them. Especially things like a transmission and brakes. A post yesterday was from a forum member that stated his 2022 MDX 'stopped accelerating on the interstate', for a brand new vehicle, this is concerning.

As a Lexus owner, we never visit the dealer unless its routine maintenance. So my question for the group is, how has your experience been so for? Do you have any regrets?

I realize that a ton of people come to these forums when they have issues to get feedback so I am sure that are a ton of happy 2022 MDX owners out there and I would love to hear from you.

TR

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The issues with the 22 MDX will be minor and few and far between for the majority of owners. The 3rd Gen RDX has been out since 2019 with 3 model years and the all new 2nd Gen TLX both share similar info-tainment, sh-awd, and 10AT. The 10AT has been used since 2018 with the RLX tech mid model refresh and Honda is using the 10AT with the Accord and Odyssey (soon for the Pilot, Passport, & Ridgeline). You still have the 4/50k basic and 6/70k powertrain to cover you for any new issues that might pop up down the road years later with the 10AT.

Reactions: Treihing

·
Registered
403 Posts
There is truth to that statement though. Every car that is produced will start to build a history of known issues, and the manufacturer will address these problems with TSBs as soon as they correct the issues. Look at any generation of MDX on this forum and there will be a full listing of TSBs (repairs for known issues) for the model year of that vehicle.
Generally speaking, cars that are produced later have fewer issues because they are manufactured with the fixes already in place compared to the first car that rolled off the production line, but by no means does that mean the first MY of a car is bad. Along those lines, the list of TSBs for 2017 MDX (the year I own) is quite long, but my vehicle has had exactly zero of those known issues and has been trouble-free for the 50k miles it has on it.
I guess the point I'm trying to get at is this: every model of car will someday have known issues, but that's okay for 2 reasons: 1) Acura will develop a fix for any issues it may have and fix them under warranty, and 2) your vehicle may never even have one of these known issues.

I do not own a 2022 MDX, but from my perspective as a lurker there have been a handful of people with brake issue and one person so far with total transmission failure. Out of the 10,000+ units that have already been sold this year, a few bad units does not indicate this generation of MDX is going to be troublesome.

If I were you, I'd eagerly be waiting to get my hands on this new car and I wouldn't give it a second thought because the reliability of any car you purchase -- Acura, BMW, Lexus, or any other -- is out of your control. (assuming you maintain it properly of course)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I just ordered my 2022 A-Spec in Peoria, AZ and plan on flying down from Washington State to pick it up
I think the most important practical point here is that you've not seen, driven, or inspected the vehicle you're buying and since you're flying quite a ways to get there to pick it up you'll be strongly motivated to accept it even if it has some flaws. I think this is your biggest exposure.

I don't have a 4th gen but I do have one of the first 3rd gens to roll off the line (built June 2013). It's now 8 years and 74K miles later and it's been a completely reliable vehicle. There were a couple of recalls to replace some bolts and the like but that's been it. I do my own maintenance on it.

Regardless, there can be some issues with the first year or really, any year vehicle. Just inspect it very closely when you go to pick it up and don't be afraid to walk away from it if need be - even if it means another flight there for you later. Inspect it closely for body panel alignment, any obvious other build flaws with trim, etc., do a very good test drive without the salesperson and without the radio blaring to try to detect any rattles, bumps, squeaks, etc. and to notice the braking and shifting of it. It's best to detect these in Peoria rather than in California or Oregon or someplace on the way back.

Given that, the vehicle has a factory warranty that any Acura dealer will honor so if something does go awry you simply need to bring it to a dealer and have them fix it.

For almost any problem people have reported here if you google that problem but substitute another manufacturer you'll likely get some hits. Some things can go wrong on any vehicle, 'luxury' or not (sometimes 'luxury' just means more features that can have something go wrong with them).

I'm not in the market for a 2022 since my 2014 is still great but if I was I wouldn't hesitate to buy one despite being a first model year of the gen (but not the major components) - I'd just check it out really well.

I was just in Peoria last week but not at the Acura dealer although I've ordered parts via the Peoria Acura dealer's online store multiple times. Note that the Az highway patrol was out in droves on Memorial day so watch your speed coming back since this vehicle will drive smoothly and effortlessly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. I love the car and love the deal I am getting even more. This groups feedback has been more than invaluable in my decision making process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Everyone-

I just ordered my 2022 A-Spec in Peoria, AZ and plan on flying down from Washington State to pick it up when it arrives in two weeks. My deal is pretty sound. They gave me $1,800 off MSRP as well as the $1,000 for trading in my Lexus and I took advantage of the 0.9% for 48 months.

I love the look and feel of the MDX and I am a fan of the infotainment system after using it for 15 minutes. I just wish it could go to full screen and remove the awful small right side window. Other than that, the vehicle is spot on for my needs. I looked at the Mercedes GLE, BMW X3 and X5 and the Tesla Model X but their overall reliability drove me back to Acura.

Will all this being said, my excitement to get the new MDX, I am growing hesitant to complete my purchase with the negative experiences/issues people are seeing with the 2022 MDX on this forum and a local dealership in Washington. I hear the fanboys says, 'All First Year Models Have Issues' but to me, that is a poor excuse for a luxury car brand. I can see this with a KIA or Nissan but not Lexus or Acura. These cars are tested for months if not years before the public touches them. Especially things like a transmission and brakes. A post yesterday was from a forum member that stated his 2022 MDX 'stopped accelerating on the interstate', for a brand new vehicle, this is concerning.

As a Lexus owner, we never visit the dealer unless its routine maintenance. So my question for the group is, how has your experience been so for? Do you have any regrets?

I realize that a ton of people come to these forums when they have issues to get feedback so I am sure that are a ton of happy 2022 MDX owners out there and I would love to hear from you.

TR

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my 2020 MDX in for service; and was loaned a 2022 MDX basic model. I really liked the updated tech and new screen, but the MDX was noisy; like riding in a TIN CAN. I was not impressed with the 2022 and will keep my 2020. Please due a two test drive first on various roads to listen to the noise.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey Everyone-

TR
Funny you mention Kia in jest, Kia is actually now one of the most reliable car brands overall. Thus it would be surprising to see Kia with a lot of problems, same with Toyota or Lexus.

I'm not a fan boy who's blindly loyal to Acura/ Honda, but Acura definitely has had their fair share of first model year issues. To be fair so did the Volvo XC90 when it came out a long time ago but they still haven't figured out there issues.

The rdx last year had a lot of problems as well first year, wonder if they've taken care of most of them by 2nd year or if they are still issues

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am just curious, which issues they haven't figured out?
Reliability of the xc90 since launch of their current gen have been very poor. Including several major problems including engine failures. This model continues to rank near bottom of the pack for Reliability according to consumer reports

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if you take a step back and look at the comments. Nowadays most will get online to complain about something and very rarely get onto praise. When those get on to praise a product that one comment on most occasions will result in countless negative comments. Some may be legit and some may be those that just don't like that item. I have bought several first year models/re-designs and only one of them did I experience issues with. So I would not get to worried about those reporting issues. Losing acceleration on the interstate while bad may be a one off event. Bottom line is things break weather they are a day old or 20 years old. Unless there becomes a significant trend then those issues may be isolated to one vehicle or a particular build date. If the issue becomes severe then the hope would be the manufacturer would do a TSB or recall. So my recommendation is take delivery and enjoy it.

Cheers
TK

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have bought several first year models/re-designs and only one of them did I experience issues with.
Same here and interestingly I've noticed many of the 'first year issues' actually endure into the 2nd, 3rd, or later years before it eventually gets resolved. With the 3rd gen, where 2014 was the first year and I have one of the early 2014s, there were issues with body panel alignments, infotainment bugs or quirks, noisy fuel pump chirp, thumping suspension, and a couple of other things yet these same complaints hit 2015, 2016 and others and some still are occasional problems, but most can be avoided by inspecting the vehicle well (body panel alignment), doing an extensive test drive (suspension thumps, etc.), knowing more about what one's buying (infotainment quirks), or can be resolved via the warranty (infotainment bugs, noisy fuel pump, etc.).

And then there's the point of things changing within the same gen but different model years that can introduce new potential issues - like a different transmission for the 2016 and up, a different infotainment for (I think) 2018, a hybrid model that has different components, etc. There's really no guarantee on any model year of no problems.

Given that, it's to be expected that the earlier in a new design one is the more issues sb expected but if one can tolerate the possibility, given that at least almost all would be fixed at no cost by the dealer, then I think even early in a model year is okay - like what I did.

Perhaps surprisingly I've had no issues on my early 3rd gen - now 8 years and 74K miles later.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nowadays, any forum you go to will have its fair share of complainers regardless of the model. My family has had 3 Lexus & 5 Acura vehicles so far and all have been very reliable with some minor things here and there, like recalls. 3 of our vehicles were 1st years; 2004 TSX, 2006 GS300 & 2014 RLX and again, there may been small bugs to be worked out but nothing major. I have visited all the forums on these vehicles and there were always complaints but most of them I had not experienced.

Unless you are unlucky and get a lemon, I think that you will be fine. All of our Acuras have been just as reliable as our Lexi.

Congrats on the new purchase! We are in the market for a new C/SUV but may wait a year or so until this whole microchip thing gets worked out ... and hopefully more plug-in hybrids or electric cars will be available.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Reliability of the xc90 since launch of their current gen have been very poor. Including several major problems including engine failures. This model continues to rank near bottom of the pack for Reliability according to consumer reports

Lucky for me, my 2 XC90s have been near flawless (minor glitches with 2018's infotainment) in combined 5 years of driving compared to 4 past MDXs each having multiple wear-n-tear issues starting with thud, whipping mirrors, replaced discolored leather on the driver seat, replaced steering wheel due to faulty air bag, sun roof leak, and faulty knock sensor.

All of these are minor issues compared to tranny issues that have plaqued MDX's reliability for 20 years, and from the issues reported on this form, have continued well into 2022. Maybe the answer for Acura is MDX EV, really. No transmission, no problem. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Everyone-

TR
so far two owners with the serious transmission issue in less than 1000 mile of driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
most can be avoided by inspecting the vehicle well (body panel alignment), doing an extensive test drive (suspension thumps, etc.), knowing more about what one's buying (infotainment quirks), or can be resolved via the warranty (infotainment bugs, noisy fuel pump, etc.).
I wonder if there is a nice delivery checklist somewhere. (I did find a verbose tesla model y checklist on github).
The obvious ones are: panel gap/dents/scratches/stains.

Then as you noted, you drive the car around all day and test out the gas/brakes/suspension/etc
and see what you can detect.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Lucky for me, my 2 XC90s have been near flawless (minor glitches with 2018's infotainment) in combined 5 years of driving compared to 4 past MDXs each having multiple wear-n-tear issues starting with thud, whipping mirrors, replaced discolored leather on the driver seat, replaced steering wheel due to faulty air bag, sun roof leak, and faulty knock sensor.

All of these are minor issues compared to tranny issues that have plaqued MDX's reliability for 20 years, and from the issues reported on this form, have continued well into 2022. Maybe the answer for Acura is MDX EV, really. No transmission, no problem. :)
Only point there is the fact multiple people have already reported transmission failures and being stranded roadside with the 2022 MDX is a far cry from what you see with 2017-2020 MDX. Yes the 2016 had some transmission failures, but that was addressed by 2017 and the complaints about the ZF9 after that are more about people not liking the behavior of the dog clutches, not about a failure of the transmission that would leave you stranded.

FWIW, reading the RDX forums after the new RDX came out last year, there were a few folks there that had similar experience with the 10 speed there. So while it's limited (doesn't impact every RDX or MDX owner), there are definitely some issues with the 10 speed in the Acura's (which you'd suspect there has to also be issues with Honda vehicles using the same transmission).

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Only point there is the fact multiple people have already reported transmission failures and being stranded roadside with the 2022 MDX is a far cry from what you see with 2017-2020 MDX. Yes the 2016 had some transmission failures, but that was addressed by 2017 and the complaints about the ZF9 after that are more about people not liking the behavior of the dog clutches, not about a failure of the transmission that would leave you stranded.

FWIW, reading the RDX forums after the new RDX came out last year, there were a few folks there that had similar experience with the 10 speed there. So while it's limited (doesn't impact every RDX or MDX owner), there are definitely some issues with the 10 speed in the Acura's (which you'd suspect there has to also be issues with Honda vehicles using the same transmission).
I remember transmission issues for RDX when the new generation first came out. But I went to acurazine and looked again today, and I didn't see any complaints on transmission. Maybe the 10 speed is fixed on that platform? Even though 10 at showed up before, on TLX/MDX Acura only recently pair it with AWD and V6. It probably needs some time to get it right.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I remember transmission issues for RDX when the new generation first came out. But I went to acurazine and looked again today, and I didn't see any complaints on transmission. Maybe the 10 speed is fixed on that platform? Even though 10 at showed up before, on TLX/MDX Acura only recently pair it with AWD and V6. It probably needs some time to get it right.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Perhaps, but there really isn't any excuse in my opinion for having a transmission fail after 550 miles even if it's a new redesign and/or new engine/transmission combo. That type of thing wouldn't happen with Toyota and never used to happen to Honda (Honda quality is nothing like it once was)

Does Honda have any vehicles that use the 3.5 and 10 speed combo? Or only the turbo 4 like the rdx?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts