Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I've just ordered my new 2003 MDX Touring with Nav & RES in Midnight Blue Pearl . The dealer said the factory will ship in 4-8 weeks. I was lucky enough to get the MDX at below sticker. BUT, when it came to choosing the accessories the prices were well above list and not to mention having to pay over $90 per hour for labor is also steep, over $700 in all. I called up a few Acura parts departments in the New York area (cutting out the "sales dept" as suggested in one of the posts) and the prices did go down a bit but were still much higher than list.

A few of accessories that I want, and that truly need to be installed are the SIDE STEPS, TAILGATE DEFLECTOR & MOONROOF VISOR. With my limited mechanical ability I'm worried that I may ruin my car by improperly installing these parts. "Of course I'm not all thumbs." I can assemble things like IKEA furniture, my exercise gym, my baby's play gym, etc.

So now the much needed advice from all of you...I am not bound to buying all or any of the accessories that I want (thank God) so my options are open. Do I keep calling up the Acura Parts/Srvc depts, maybe in NJ upstate NY or CT or should I purchase the parts online and attempt to install them myself? Has anyone purchased the parts online and have a mechanic or body shop try to install your parts or even go back to the Acura service dept and have them do the labor for you?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Luke

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow, I'm glad to here you were able to get below MSRP, BTW, how much below did you get?

AS for the accessories, I am in the same situation as yourself. Looks like some of the accessories you definately can do yourself. Seems like many folks here have had good experiences with honda acura world http://webp5.t3link.com/hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=AMDX
and mentioning Tim. Also, they have instruction manuals online so you can take a peek and determine wheteher or not you feel comfortable with performing the work yourself. Good lluck;)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Welcome BKLYNMDX!

Buy them from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com. Prices are much lower, shipping is free, and most are easy to install.

On this site there is a lot of install help and tips. For Items you don't want to install yourself consider having someone local do it. You will still save a lot over the inflated dealer prices.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree 100% w/ Baldeagles advice. For those parts you do not want to install yourself, any reputable mechanic can install at roughly 1/2 of the price you are being quoted.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I agree! If you can put together furniture, I know you wouldn't have any problems with the side steps or front deflector. I think the moonroof is pretty easy as well but I haven't tried that one...yet. Good luck!:D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Side Step Install Comments

I installed my side steps and although it took a little over 2 hours the install was not very difficult. By not difficult I mean it was not hard to do and did not take any special tools or skills, just took a while to turn all the bolts tight.

Threaded holes to mount the steps are already on the frame of the MDX, no drilling is required.

If you have or can borrow a power impact wrench the install will go much quicker.

I have an impact wrench but did not use it. To get to my compressor I would have had to move the wife's Black shinny clean Lincoln out in the rain so I just used my 1/2 drive ratchet with socket and short/long extensions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the quick replies!

I guess I'll give it a try and install the parts myself especially if there is no drilling or any special tools involved.

Also, to m2pc, do you have a link to those manuals you've mentioned. In regards to what I payed below sticker...I made a promise not to devulge the amount and I am a man of my word, but if you do the math I would have saved only $300.

Many thanks again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi BklynMDX - welcome and congrats on your order. Midnight Blue Pearl is a great color (especially when it's clean!).

You can find the installation instructions for most of the accessories on the Hondacuraworld site. You'll find a link to them labeled "Instructions" at the top right (yellow tabs). Here's a direct link to the MDX set:

http://webp5.t3link.com/hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/instructions/mdx/

·
Registered
653 Posts
:p

I'm a little slow on the reply, but let us know what route you take. I am going to add accessories down the line, so I am interested in what you decide.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Re: Welcome BKLYNMDX!

BaldEagle said:
Buy them from Tim at Hondacuraworld.com. Prices are much lower, shipping is free, and most are easy to install.
On this site there is a lot of install help and tips . . .
I agree with BaldEagle's comments. Additionally, if you do a search on here you will find easy to follow installation instructions. Some even have pics with them.

BTW, welcome aboard. Your MBP is a nice color, but make sure you get the chrome OEM sidesteps (from Tim of course) as I saw a MBP this week with the black ones and IMHO they don't look as good as the chrome ones do on a MBP. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Re: Welcome BKLYNMDX!

greatscot said:

Your MBP is a nice color, but make sure you get the chrome OEM sidesteps (from Tim of course) as I saw a MBP this week with the black ones and IMHO they don't look as good as the chrome ones do on a MBP. Good luck.
I agree.

Chrome side steps look fantastic with the dark colors on the MDX. :29:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: chrome side steps

I would love to get the chrome but out here in NYC during the winter time the roads are full of rock salt, sand, rocks and pebbles from the pot holes, plus the added bonus of our great highway maintenance crews that fill up these potholes with tar that goes all over the place. I'm afraid after one winter they will look like they came from a war.

GREATSCOT, being that you have the chrome side steps on your MDX (and let me compliment you because they do look sweet) how is the finish on your side steps holding up?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Re: chrome side steps

BklynMDX said:
GREATSCOT, being that you have the chrome side steps on your MDX (and let me compliment you because they do look sweet) how is the finish on your side steps holding up?
Chrome Acura steps have only been available since mid December so not enough time yet to see how they hold up. I was probably one of the first to get them and have made quite a few trips to the slopes in the snow and so far they still look new.

I don't recall anyone with the Maniks complaining about the finish not holding up and they have been on some members MDX's here for almost two years.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Re: chrome side steps

BaldEagle said:
Chrome Acura steps have only been available since mid December so not enough time yet to see how they hold up. I was probably one of the first to get them and have made quite a few trips to the slopes in the snow and so far they still look new.

I don't recall anyone with the Maniks complaining about the finish not holding up and they have been on some members MDX's here for almost two years.
THAT'S GREAT! Now all I have to do is convince the wife, she wants the black steps.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I was starting to lean towards the Chrome, but now I.m not sure about the maintenanceto keep them looking good ...... :confused:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Re: Re: chrome side steps

BklynMDX said:
I would love to get the chrome but . . .
So far mine are holding up well. However two points - as pointed out by BaldEagle, the OEM chromes are relatively new, I got mine on Christmas Eve. Second, the weather conditions here are not like the ones you face, that's for sure. I never go to a car wash, I always hand wash at home in the driveway, so I notice the wee things that affect my X. I have no dents or scratches on my X (fingers crossed) yet, and have none of these on my ss either. I do check the attachments from time to time to ensure they are still secure. So far so good.
I wish I had taken a picture of that MBP with the black ss so you could see what I mean, they really "dulled down" the look of the X. Make a choice that you can live with. I originally thought I wasn't going to get ss at all as I thought about the height difference, but in the light off-roading I've done there hasn't been a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts