Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 MDX Type S Advance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we’ve had the Type S for about 6 weeks now and finally hit 1,000 miles. Absolutely loving this car, but here are a few things we’ve run into thus far…curious to hear err’body else’s experience.

I hate the piano black trim. Hate. It. I’m trying to figure out how to wrap it somehow cause it really does cheapen the interior of the vehicle. I don’t understand why they thought it was a good idea 🤷🏻‍♂️. It collects dust like a boss and just looks gross. Has anybody tried wrapping it yet??

I’m starting to find little noises here and there inside the cabin. I’m still hopeful that they are just “break-in/settling” noises, but on occasion I will hear a pop or click in the dash or near the windshield at random times. Speaking of windshield, we got our first rock chip the other day….Grrrr 🤬

I’ve also developed a constant clicking noise near the flat bottom section of the steering wheel where the Type S emblem is. If you grab that section and pinch it together, it makes a plastic-y ratchet-y noise. That may take some dissembling and reassembling to figure out…but I hear it all the time while I drive now if I don’t have the radio up loud enough. I hate noises, so it drives me bonkers. Anybody else have/notice that noise?

Acura link is not great. I have yet to be able to get it to remote start. Takes forever only to tell me make sure I’m in a good coverage area? Not impressed.

I clay bared and detailed my car soon after getting it and the paint, while it is about 95% perfect, has some issues here and there. I find small pieces of debris in the clear and it had some bumps and bruises (probably from transport) that I was able to paint correct out with my DA polisher and some buffing compound. However, on my drivers side door I found about a 1 inch section at the very bottom of the door that looks like something rubbed against the paint in the factory while it was wet and left a smudge that has unfortunately dried into the paint and left a small ridge. I didn’t catch it on my acceptance walk around…but honestly, I would have accepted the vehicle with it. We had been waiting for almost 6 months for our car at the point, so it is what it is. Would the average person (aka my wife) ever notice it? Only if I pointed it out. Do I notice it? Every time I open my drivers door 🤨. But it’s not worth having the dealer repaint the door or anything crazy…they would probably do more harm than good.

The panel gaps leave a little to be desired. My hood is about 1/8 of an inch off center and it also drives me crazy! My rear hatch sits a little low as well and doesn’t line up at the taillights. I used to work at a body shop as a kid and I know my way around a car very well, so eventually I will attempt to align the hood myself when it’s not 110° in Texas! Again, nothing cosmic, but frustrating because you have to put the hood on anywho, so just align it correctly. It’s not hard, especially on the factory line where you have all the tools and expertise 🤷🏻‍♂️

And there are some fit and finish things that I’m starting to notice now that I live with the car everyday where you can definitely tell it’s a first year vehicle. One example is the trunk latch button on the cargo hatch…it is pretty lose in there and rattles around when I open the hatch. Fingers crossed I don’t have the sunroof seal issue or any of the infotainment issues. So far so good on those fronts.

But overall nothing too crazy, it’s still your typical Honda with pretty great overall quality. It’s why I keep buying Honda’s. They just build a good car. Not perfect, but none are.

All that to say…the shortcomings pale in comparison to the overall value and enjoyment I get out of this vehicle. I really really enjoy this car and my wife loves it, and it’s hers, so that’s all that matters to me.

Oh…and the gas mileage does suck pretty bad. Like, really bad. But coming from our ‘09 Pilot that struggles to find 16 mpg on the highway, it’s a small step up…but the tank is about 4 gallons less in the Type S, so it feels like we live at the gas station. And while I can afford $5 premium…I don’t like it 👎🏼

Happy Driving!

·
Registered
213 Posts
This sounds like every other Acura MDX. Creaks and some funny noises, panels not fitted as well as one would expect. But it will run a very very very long time. I just got to 115,000 miles on my 2014 MDX. Engine is quiet and smooth and honestly sounds like it did the day I picked it up in June 2013. but the other things will probably always be there

·
Registered
2022 GMC Yukon Denali, 2021 Volvo XC90 Inscription
14 Posts
My 16 X5 had a very crunch steering wheel at the bottom where the M Sport logo was. Not that that helps any but it brought up some nostalgia. Piano black trim is a nightmare but it looks nice when it’s new lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
In my last MDX it was a buzz, rattle and creak machine after break in but the noises settled and it was virtually dead quiet after the first year. Keep us updated on the wrap

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Are you still in the Honeymoon phase or starting to get a little bit of buyer's remorse? I stayed in the Honeymoon phase with my 19 MDX hybrid when I was able to do mods to make it 100% unique to me (PPF, ceramic coating, tint, chrome delete, painted calipers, gloss black rims, de-badging, etc...).

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,599 Posts
on my drivers side door I found about a 1 inch section at the very bottom of the door that looks like something rubbed against the paint in the factory while it was wet and left a smudge that has unfortunately dried into the paint and left a small ridge.
Like you, I wouldn't repaint it either. But I wonder whether a good detailing professional might be able to smooth that out...?

·
Registered
‘22 MDX Type S Advance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you still in the Honeymoon phase or starting to get a little bit of buyer's remorse? I stayed in the Honeymoon phase with my 19 MDX hybrid when I was able to do mods to make it 100% unique to me (PPF, ceramic coating, tint, chrome delete, painted calipers, gloss black rims, de-badging, etc...).
Honestly, there’s no buyers remorse. I am very satisfied with the car. In fact, I’ve been waiting for this car since we heard Acura was making a Type S version. We’ve been a Honda family for many years and I just tend to gravitate to Hondas, whether it’s motorcycles, lawn mower, etc. And I’m a tinker’er, so I’m looking forward to adding some performance goodies down the road as they become available. This is a fun car. I just wanted to share some of the things we are finding after a few weeks of ownership. Most of which I will mess around with myself and come up with a way to make it work.

I knew we were taking a gamble with a first year model. We have a ‘09 Pilot that we still have today. It was a first model year and it served us very well. The only issue we had (and it’s a big one) was the oil burning issues of the early VCM J35 engines. Ours burned (and still burns) oil like it’s its job. There was a class action lawsuit against Honda over it and we’ve had all the things done along the way, all covered under warranty from the lawsuit (ECM update, spark plugs replaced, piston rings changed). Honda even covered the bill for us when we found out we missed the 8-year deadline to have the warranty work completed by 6 months. They just covered it for us no questions asked. That helps with brand loyalty. I put a VCM muzzler on to help slow it down. But 185K later and the car still runs like a boss.

So fingers crossed we don’t have any huge issues with these new engines, air suspension, massage seats, etc? But if we do, I know Honda will work it out. At least that has been our experience over the last 20 years of owning different Honda vehicles and products. I also bought an 8 year/120K extended warranty just in case. Small price for a little extra peace of mind I suppose 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
‘22 MDX Type S Advance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like you, I wouldn't repaint it either. But I wonder whether a good detailing professional might be able to smooth that out...?
The ridge is tall enough that I’m afraid it’ll eat through the clear and in to the paint on the high side to smooth it out. I have the tools and expertise to do it myself, but I’m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. And I know I’d be pissed at myself if I have to get the door re-sprayed because I got I little crazy with the wet sanding and buffing. My wife would be disappointed 👎🏼

So for now I just enjoy the car and try to suppress my OCD from ruining my life 😄

·
Registered
47 Posts
just over 6 months and almost 6000 kms, Had a very faint rattle in the back, turned out it was my extra large snow brush :)
My only issue so far is the wireless charging my iPhone 13, other then that I am really loving the MDX.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Type S Advanced
43 Posts
After 6 weeks, I've got about 300 miles on my Type S. No real complaints. I haven't noticed any noises or creeks. I'm getting about 18 mpg, which is better than the less than 15mpg my 2011 MDX got.

I'm with you on the piano gloss interior panels. Just because they show finger prints so easily. Thankfully, I have no reason to touch the ones in the front seat, so it's not a huge deal.

Panel mis-alignments are very small. Much less than the pictures I've seen from others on here, so not worth trying to correct for me. I have washed the car, and found no paint or finish issues.

Acura link is definitely sluggish, but I don't use it a whole lot, nor have I had a similar service on another vehicle. So, I had zero expectations going into it. I don't use the remote start, but I do like being able to unlock the car in the garage (when another family member locked it for some reason), and not having to walk into the house to retrieve keys. I'm not sure why it has to be so sluggish when the car is on the home wifi network. I understand some sluggishness when on a cell network that has spotty coverage.

I think my only real complaint is the low speed braking feature. Again, I've never owned a car with this feature, but it's behavior is unpredictable and very annoying to the point of being dangerous. I've tried turning it off, but it seems to re-enable itself each time I start the car. Maybe I'm not doing it right. The main issue I have with it, is that pulling into my garage triggers it. My dirveway is on an incline, so you can't have your foot on the brake and make it up the hill. But, the side of the garage door opening triggers, so everyone in the car gets jolted as the car slams on the brakes for no reason.

Reactions: Mk111

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
459 Posts
Regarding the gloss black trim... I’ve been trying to find the best way to keep this thing clean. I do truly like how it looks when it’s clean, but man, actually getting it clean can be a whole other task. Seems like any and all cleaners I’ve tried on it will undoubtedly leave residue no matter how hard I try. I blame this on just debris/dust, humidity, sneezing, the occasional person in the passenger seat that just has the insatiable urge to touch it and leave a finger print…I mean I just blame it on life in general. But when it’s clean, I love it. But like all gloss black trim, you push too hard, instant swirls.

So a couple tips that have worked magic for me. Three materials get the job done and in my experience, it looks brand new and is relatively easy to get it there in a couple minutes.

1) “Stoner” glass cleaner. Absolutely Must
2) Any high quality microfiber cloth

Now these two along will still smudge because you have to apply soft pressure when wiping it unless you want it to swirl. Like any cleaner, normally some amount of pressure, no matter how light must be applied to get rid of streaks. But the 3rd and magic item I found…and it’s hilarious…

3) Apple’s (yes, like an Apple iPhone) microfiber cleaning cloth. It’s a running joke with Apple because they charge $19 for it, but I’ll be damned, my gloss black trim looks damn near as nice as the day I drove it off the lot.

Do it in about 3-6 inch segments at a time. Do not do this in direct sunlight. Quickly spray on the stoner glass cleaner, LIGHTLY wipe the area until it appears all gone, once it appears all gone, immediately hit it with the Apple cleaning cloth - just light enough to confirm any residue has been lifted. To confirm it’s all gone, turn on your phone‘s flashlight and hit the area directly.

Hope this helps you guys out. Lightly dry dust it once a week and you shouldn’t need to clean it often.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So we’ve had the Type S for about 6 weeks now and finally hit 1,000 miles. Absolutely loving this car, but here are a few things we’ve run into thus far…curious to hear err’body else’s experience.

I hate the piano black trim. Hate. It. I’m trying to figure out how to wrap it somehow cause it really does cheapen the interior of the vehicle. I don’t understand why they thought it was a good idea 🤷🏻‍♂️. It collects dust like a boss and just looks gross. Has anybody tried wrapping it yet??

I’m starting to find little noises here and there inside the cabin. I’m still hopeful that they are just “break-in/settling” noises, but on occasion I will hear a pop or click in the dash or near the windshield at random times. Speaking of windshield, we got our first rock chip the other day….Grrrr 🤬

I’ve also developed a constant clicking noise near the flat bottom section of the steering wheel where the Type S emblem is. If you grab that section and pinch it together, it makes a plastic-y ratchet-y noise. That may take some dissembling and reassembling to figure out…but I hear it all the time while I drive now if I don’t have the radio up loud enough. I hate noises, so it drives me bonkers. Anybody else have/notice that noise?

Acura link is not great. I have yet to be able to get it to remote start. Takes forever only to tell me make sure I’m in a good coverage area? Not impressed.

I clay bared and detailed my car soon after getting it and the paint, while it is about 95% perfect, has some issues here and there. I find small pieces of debris in the clear and it had some bumps and bruises (probably from transport) that I was able to paint correct out with my DA polisher and some buffing compound. However, on my drivers side door I found about a 1 inch section at the very bottom of the door that looks like something rubbed against the paint in the factory while it was wet and left a smudge that has unfortunately dried into the paint and left a small ridge. I didn’t catch it on my acceptance walk around…but honestly, I would have accepted the vehicle with it. We had been waiting for almost 6 months for our car at the point, so it is what it is. Would the average person (aka my wife) ever notice it? Only if I pointed it out. Do I notice it? Every time I open my drivers door 🤨. But it’s not worth having the dealer repaint the door or anything crazy…they would probably do more harm than good.

The panel gaps leave a little to be desired. My hood is about 1/8 of an inch off center and it also drives me crazy! My rear hatch sits a little low as well and doesn’t line up at the taillights. I used to work at a body shop as a kid and I know my way around a car very well, so eventually I will attempt to align the hood myself when it’s not 110° in Texas! Again, nothing cosmic, but frustrating because you have to put the hood on anywho, so just align it correctly. It’s not hard, especially on the factory line where you have all the tools and expertise 🤷🏻‍♂️

And there are some fit and finish things that I’m starting to notice now that I live with the car everyday where you can definitely tell it’s a first year vehicle. One example is the trunk latch button on the cargo hatch…it is pretty lose in there and rattles around when I open the hatch. Fingers crossed I don’t have the sunroof seal issue or any of the infotainment issues. So far so good on those fronts.

But overall nothing too crazy, it’s still your typical Honda with pretty great overall quality. It’s why I keep buying Honda’s. They just build a good car. Not perfect, but none are.

All that to say…the shortcomings pale in comparison to the overall value and enjoyment I get out of this vehicle. I really really enjoy this car and my wife loves it, and it’s hers, so that’s all that matters to me.

Oh…and the gas mileage does suck pretty bad. Like, really bad. But coming from our ‘09 Pilot that struggles to find 16 mpg on the highway, it’s a small step up…but the tank is about 4 gallons less in the Type S, so it feels like we live at the gas station. And while I can afford $5 premium…I don’t like it 👎🏼

Happy Driving!
I just hit 350 miles and I have had that pop by the windshield a few times. I instantly starting looking for a crack in the windshield 🙄

·
Registered
‘22 MDX Type S Advance
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just hit 350 miles and I have had that pop by the windshield a few times. I instantly starting looking for a crack in the windshield 🙄
Yep, ours has stopped doing that. For the first few days it would happen a couple times per drive at random. It finally stopped. Now it’s just that darn steering wheel creaking noise that I hear err’day 😒

·
Registered
528 Posts
Regarding the gloss black trim... I’ve been trying to find the best way to keep this thing clean. I do truly like how it looks when it’s clean, but man, actually getting it clean can be a whole other task. Seems like any and all cleaners I’ve tried on it will undoubtedly leave residue no matter how hard I try. I blame this on just debris/dust, humidity, sneezing, the occasional person in the passenger seat that just has the insatiable urge to touch it and leave a finger print…I mean I just blame it on life in general. But when it’s clean, I love it. But like all gloss black trim, you push too hard, instant swirls.

So a couple tips that have worked magic for me. Three materials get the job done and in my experience, it looks brand new and is relatively easy to get it there in a couple minutes.

1) “Stoner” glass cleaner. Absolutely Must
2) Any high quality microfiber cloth

Now these two along will still smudge because you have to apply soft pressure when wiping it unless you want it to swirl. Like any cleaner, normally some amount of pressure, no matter how light must be applied to get rid of streaks. But the 3rd and magic item I found…and it’s hilarious…

3) Apple’s (yes, like an Apple iPhone) microfiber cleaning cloth. It’s a running joke with Apple because they charge $19 for it, but I’ll be damned, my gloss black trim looks damn near as nice as the day I drove it off the lot.

Do it in about 3-6 inch segments at a time. Do not do this in direct sunlight. Quickly spray on the stoner glass cleaner, LIGHTLY wipe the area until it appears all gone, once it appears all gone, immediately hit it with the Apple cleaning cloth - just light enough to confirm any residue has been lifted. To confirm it’s all gone, turn on your phone‘s flashlight and hit the area directly.

Hope this helps you guys out. Lightly dry dust it once a week and you shouldn’t need to clean it often.
I’ve always been afraid of stoner on plastics but not sure if that’s justified or me just being paranoid. I don’t have any piano black plastic, but this stuff works wonders on our golf cart and airplane windscreens (both plastic). It’s gentle and doesn’t seem to want to leave residue and seems to help prevent swirling - the aircraft one especially we try to be really cautious of as it’s crazy expensive to replace, so far 22 years old and in pretty good shape. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
459 Posts
I’ve always been afraid of stoner on plastics but not sure if that’s justified or me just being paranoid. I don’t have any piano black plastic, but this stuff works wonders on our golf cart and airplane windscreens (both plastic). It’s gentle and doesn’t seem to want to leave residue and seems to help prevent swirling - the aircraft one especially we try to be really cautious of as it’s crazy expensive to replace, so far 22 years old and in pretty good shape. Might be worth a shot.

nice man! Thanks for this!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts