Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2014 MDX, which is one of 2 here in the Netherlands, Europe, I wanted something unusual and practical and this seems to fit the bill.
Acura is not new to me, some years ago I already imported a NSX-T from the US as that car is very hard to get here too.

I however find that the MDX with the factory 19" wheels looks a bit too common/ soft, so am looking into getting other 20" wheels to give it a bit sharper/ more agressive look...

Friend took a picture of the same version/colour as what I now have from the net and made a few photoshop images to get an idea.
Genuine Acura 20" wheels are not available here and much too costly to import, so just took a few that I can get here.

In my opinion all look better then the OE wheels.. choices....

First is as is
2nd is with a set 2014 Ford Explorer wheels that have the correct fitment, looks a bit more "oldfashioned " but also give rugged look
3rd same wheels in other colour
4th with 2016 Lexus RX450 wheels... a bit too eyecatchy I think
5th with 20" Acura, looks good too
6th with free interpretation of by friend with big brakes, looks very nice too, but perhaps a bit too much, and all those rim screws...
7th he couldn't resist.. ;-)
8th, a bit BMW X3 style wheels, not bad..

Difficult choice, opinions??

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sharp car, like it a lot.

In order of preference, I like 1, then 5, then 8.

Call me crazy but I like the original wheels. Like some of the others too but for the $$$s involved it is hard to justify, at least for me.

The silver/chrome accents against the black look really good on this MDX. So if I were going to change the wheels I'd want to make sure I didn't do anything to distract from the great contrast you already have going on. Besides the OE, number five and eight seemed to work, too, from that perspective.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just got my 2014 MDX, which is one of 2 here in the Netherlands, Europe, I wanted something unusual and practical and this seems to fit the bill.
Acura is not new to me, some years ago I already imported a NSX-T from the US as that car is very hard to get here too.

I however find that the MDX with the factory 19" wheels looks a bit too common/ soft, so am looking into getting other 20" wheels to give it a bit sharper/ more agressive look...

Friend took a picture of the same version/colour as what I now have from the net and made a few photoshop images to get an idea.
Genuine Acura 20" wheels are not available here and much too costly to import, so just took a few that I can get here.

In my opinion all look better then the OE wheels.. choices....

First is as is
2nd is with a set 2014 Ford Explorer wheels that have the correct fitment, looks a bit more "oldfashioned " but also give rugged look
3rd same wheels in other colour
4th with 2016 Lexus RX450 wheels... a bit too eyecatchy I think
5th with 20" Acura, looks good too
6th with free interpretation of by friend with big brakes, looks very nice too, but perhaps a bit too much, and all those rim screws...
7th he couldn't resist.. ;-)
8th, a bit BMW X3 style wheels, not bad..

Difficult choice, opinions??

What about these? 2014-2017 Acura MDX Wheels and Accessories - Bernardi Parts

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Just got my 2014 MDX, which is one of 2 here in the Netherlands
I however find that the MDX with the factory 19" wheels looks a bit too common
I found the above kind of funny - there are only two 2014 model year MDXs in the entire country and you feel the need to modify it because of a look that's too common. Funny.

I like the factory wheels on the MDX (2014 Tech is what I have) and there's no way I'd spend thousands of dollars just to change the wheels/tires - but to each his/her own.

My opinion on your pics - #6 (black 80s style) is hideous, #7 (teddy bears) is funny and would certainly be unique, and the rest all look similar enough to not warrant spending any money on.

If I go to the Netherlands again anytime soon I'll keep a lookout for your MDX - but I might get it mixed up with the other MDX in the country.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the above kind of funny - there are only two 2014 model year MDXs in the entire country and you feel the need to modify it because of a look that's too common. Funny.

If I go to the Netherlands again anytime soon I'll keep a lookout for your MDX - but I might get it mixed up with the other MDX in the country.
For the non-car oriënted people the MDX is similar looking to for instance a Hyundai Grand SantaFe or Kia Sorento which you see a lot over here....

They see the unknown badge, but it doesn't register with them it is something unusual...
I would like it to stand out a bit more, I feel it looks a bit too common. Wheels standing out more will probably do that.
But hey, it replaces a Mercedes ML63 amg 10th anniversary and in comparison most SUV-like cars will look a bit common, I am spoilt....

I am however fed up with the high running- maintenance and repairs cost of the ML, so decided to get something possibly more sensible/ economical....

Pic of my ML that is replaced by the MDX so you may understand why I would like the MDX stand out a bit more .. :crazyeye::readit:

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
As is would be much choice...especially if I had any debt on the vehicle...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just came across a set of 2-piece wheels: OZ Michelangelo2 in staggered setup, 8.5x19 ET 40 and 9,5x19 ET 40 which I would be using with 255/50/19 tires, just 1.8% speed difference compared to the OE tires on the 8x19 ET55 wheels.

Would staggered be OK, can it cause problems?

Had a photoshop made and looks nice I think, opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If your MDX is AWD, then you really need to use the SAME tires on all four wheels.

Same brand
Same model
Same size
Same wear

If your MDX is FWD, then staggered is technically fine. You'll be limited in how you can rotate your tires, which typically results in more uneven wear and tires typically won't last as long... But it does work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine is regrettably FWD, would much have preferred AWD but there are only 3 MDX G3 in the country, so not much choice..
I will use same size tires front and rear, otherwise it will be very difficult to match 2 different sizes front/rear that can be used on the MDX.

Opinion on how these wheels look on the MDX?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wheels are very much an individual preference. Personally I do not like them. I almost always prefer OEM wheels.

But it's your MDX, so you should go with what makes YOU happy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts