Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to wash my MDX?
I just bought a new '03 black MDX. It was slushy outside, I'm just wondering how to wash the bugger. I'm going to go buy soft wash clothes right now but how would I wash this? I'm going to Hughes car wash to do the deed.

Water, soap, Water, wax, and then more water?

I just want to be meticulous with this process and preserve my MDX!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hardly anybody does it my way. But I never get swirl marks, and it's not difficult:
- Hose down to get the big stuff off, top to bottom
- With lowish flow from hose, or hose nozzle, use a wash mit to gently wipe down the car, starting at the top. No soap. Don't scrub (shouldn't need to), and let the water flow wash away the dirt.
- If the car was relatively clean, and doesn't have an oil film on it, you're ready to dry it. Except for about twice a year, this is all I need to do.
- If it needs soap to get rid of a non-water-soluble film (you'll know ahead of time by experience, eventually, by where and how much it has been driven), use the soap in a bucket and wash mit method. (This is what most people do instead of my second step above, and by doing this, they grind any grit into the paint because it isn't being flushed away). Only slop the soap and water around without additional running water if the surface is already dirt free.
- (The steps with a soapy mit and running water could be combined, but I generally don't do it that way).
- Rinse off the soap with the hose
- Dry. I've found the "cotton towels only" theory to be false. That's mostly what I use, by I have some old partly polyester bath towels and they don't scratch. (Your results may vary, and I DO know what swirl marks are and what they look like, so I'm not just overlooking them).
- Wax if needed (based on water beading, time elaped, whether you're in the mood, the weather, etc.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts