Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just signed up my very first Acura. Bought it locally with Remote Start, Hitch and All Weather floor / cargo matts.

Glad to found this great forum and I already have my very first question to post on here: Should I buy the dealer offered 8yr/100K extended warranty - $1900?

The warranty, known as Service Contract, is offered by Protective Asset Protection company. So, is it still backed by the dealership or Acura??

As an old schooler, we should waive all extended warranty, but the fact is that there is so much high tech gadgets in the car and it costs a lot for repair. And they are indeed prone to failure. So, a good solid extended warranty can be a good insurance.

I still have time to cancel it, so please help me out here. Any input is appreciated. Anyone has any experience with the Protective company?

:29:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am a newbie but researched your question for my own purchase. Which trim level of MDX did you get? That may help some of us answer your question. Search this forum and you will get many answers to your questions.

I have not heard of them; however, If it was through an Acura dealer I believe they should have the Acura Extended Warranty to offer you.

Also, you have the option of buying an Acura extended warranty up until your manufacturers warranty runs out. You can check prices online and find the best deal and any Acura dealer should honor it.

To be honest since it's new I would cancel it and check on the Acura Care Extended Warranty. Ask your dealer (or any Acura dealer)

Here is a link:

Acura Care extended coverage beyond the original warranty

I'm sure some with more experience will respond to your question but in my opinion I would cancel the warranty you have and go with the Acura Care Extended Warranty once your MDX gets closer to when the manufacturer's warranty runs out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi, just signed up my very first Acura. Bought it locally with Remote Start, Hitch and All Weather floor / cargo matts.

Glad to found this great forum and I already have my very first question to post on here: Should I buy the dealer offered 8yr/100K extended warranty - $1900?

The warranty, known as Service Contract, is offered by Protective Asset Protection company. So, is it still backed by the dealership or Acura??

As an old schooler, we should waive all extended warranty, but the fact is that there is so much high tech gadgets in the car and it costs a lot for repair. And they are indeed prone to failure. So, a good solid extended warranty can be a good insurance.

I still have time to cancel it, so please help me out here. Any input is appreciated. Anyone has any experience with the Protective company?

:29:
Only by the Acura extended warranty and only buy it just before the OEM warranty expires and when you know you will keep the car.,

You can by an Acura OEM extended warranty anytime the original warranty is still valid.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I believe there is a savings to be had when you get Acura Care before 6k miles, or at least that's what I've been told.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I believe there is a savings to be had when you get Acura Care before 6k miles, or at least that's what I've been told.
In Canada the price difference is $150 between buying it on the day you buy your car or buying it in year 4. The $150 is an inspection fee. But I got this fee waived on my 2011 MDX. So the cost is really the same.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would only buy the OEM extended warranty. Some of these 3rd party companies are not as easy to work with.

Also, I would never own the 3G MDX without a warranty. Too many gadgets to break.

The above posters are correct, you can purchase a "new car" extended warranty at a later time. However, you would have to pay in full vs financing it at time of purchase (if you did finance)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You for all of your input and it's good to know that the AcuraCare can be purchased any time in the first 4 years. So, i'm going to cancel my existing one and will wait and shop around more. I have read so many things about HondaAcuraWorld.com but I didn't see they selling the AcuraCare though.

So, if any of you have come to good deals on AcuraCare, please post them on here, Huge Thanks!!

Glad to be part of this great Community now! A good start :29::29::29:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would be the good place to get the best deal on an AcuraCare? We will definitely keep the car for 6-8 years, so we might purchase one and save $$$ now. I already submitted a request to CurryAcura, but I think there are other places too. I've read someone was getting it for as low as $1100 :29:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think you made a good decision to cancel the 3rd party insurance. If I was to get an extended warranty, and I doubt very much if I will (I've never purchased an extended warranty on anything), I'd only get the factory one. These 3rd party ones are known for going out of business every so many years - after they take your money but before they pay out any/much.

On any extended warranty be sure to read the fine print because many of them exclude the things most likely to fail. I think a lot of extended warranty owners end up frustrated/mad when they find out it doesn't cover whatever broke on their vehicle.

Understand what an extended warranty really is - it's not really an 8yr/100K warranty as they imply and hawk since the factory warranty takes care of much of that. It's really 8yr/100K MINUS the factory covered period.

Another factor is that you might sell the vehicle or it could get totaled before the extended warranty period ever kicks in - i.e. how do you really know you'll keep it longer than the 4 years of bumper to bumper or the even longer period for the powertrain warranty. I'd wait before buying it until near teh end of the factory warranty period if I was to get it (which again, I likely won't).

Also understand that it's 'insurance' where the warranty company knows they'll make money on the deal on average. They have the actual data of the warranty cost versus the payout and they make sure they'll make money or else they'll go out of business - and I'm referring to the legit companies as opposed to the sham ones that start out planning to go out of business after they've taken in a lot of money but paid out little.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think you made a good decision to cancel the 3rd party insurance. If I was to get an extended warranty, and I doubt very much if I will (I've never purchased an extended warranty on anything), I'd only get the factory one. These 3rd party ones are known for going out of business every so many years - after they take your money but before they pay out any/much.

On any extended warranty be sure to read the fine print because many of them exclude the things most likely to fail. I think a lot of extended warranty owners end up frustrated/mad when they find out it doesn't cover whatever broke on their vehicle.

Understand what an extended warranty really is - it's not really an 8yr/100K warranty as they imply and hawk since the factory warranty takes care of much of that. It's really 8yr/100K MINUS the factory covered period.

Another factor is that you might sell the vehicle or it could get totaled before the extended warranty period ever kicks in - i.e. how do you really know you'll keep it longer than the 4 years of bumper to bumper or the even longer period for the powertrain warranty. I'd wait before buying it until near teh end of the factory warranty period if I was to get it (which again, I likely won't).

Also understand that it's 'insurance' where the warranty company knows they'll make money on the deal on average. They have the actual data of the warranty cost versus the payout and they make sure they'll make money or else they'll go out of business - and I'm referring to the legit companies as opposed to the sham ones that start out planning to go out of business after they've taken in a lot of money but paid out little.
Just like any insurance policy,except life. You take it for peace of mind. Except with the car,you hope you use it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would only buy the OEM extended warranty. Some of these 3rd party companies are not as easy to work with.

Also, I would never own the 3G MDX without a warranty. Too many gadgets to break.

The above posters are correct, you can purchase a "new car" extended warranty at a later time. However, you would have to pay in full vs financing it at time of purchase (if you did finance)
I had a 3rd party warranty on a SAAB 9000 Turbo I owned. It was a pain in the ass to use. The adjuster had to approve the work which took days. I had to pay a deductible. They denied some claims.

And theses 3rd party insurance companies are prone to going out of business.

When I bought my MDX, the business manager was really pushing the 3rd party warranty. Says it was good because you get a partial refund if you never use it. Didn't even offer the Acura OEM warranty. Because the commission on the 3rd party warranty is huge. So if al lot of the commission is going to the salesmen, you are paying too much and how viable is the company.

An insurance companies objective is to not pay out on claims. That's how they make money. Acura's objective is to keep you happy and fix the car so you buy another one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...When I bought my MDX, the business manager was really pushing the 3rd party warranty. Says it was good because you get a partial refund if you never use it. Didn't even offer the Acura OEM warranty. Because the commission on the 3rd party warranty is huge. So if al lot of the commission is going to the salesmen, you are paying too much and how viable is the company....

That's exactly what I am experiencing too. My business manager did the same thing, he only pushed the 3rd party warranty from Protective Asset Protection company, and never mentioned a word of AcuraCare. I'm glad that I signed up on here right away and found a lot of good resources and advice. Now, I've got the best quote on AcuraCare from saccuccihondacare and it already beat the 3rd party one I've got. So, I am going to cancel the 3rd party and see if my dealer will match saccuccihondacare price on AcuraCare. If not, I will get it from saccuccihondacare later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's exactly what I am experiencing too. My business manager did the same thing, he only pushed the 3rd party warranty from Protective Asset Protection company, and never mentioned a word of AcuraCare. I'm glad that I signed up on here right away and found a lot of good resources and advice. Now, I've got the best quote on AcuraCare from saccuccihondacare and it already beat the 3rd party one I've got. So, I am going to cancel the 3rd party and see if my dealer will match saccuccihondacare price on AcuraCare. If not, I will get it from saccuccihondacare later.
Try Park Acura out of Akron, Ohio. That is where I got mine for $1184 w/$0 deductible

Not sure which to call so here are three phone numbers:
Sales (888) 237-0804
Service (888) 247-6759
Parts (888) 262-4145

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Try Park Acura out of Akron, Ohio. That is where I got mine for $1184 w/$0 deductible

Not sure which to call so here are three phone numbers:
Sales (888) 237-0804
Service (888) 247-6759
Parts (888) 262-4145
What's the coverage for that price?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Only get the OEM warranty, and shop online. For Hondas, you can buy much cheaper from specific dealers online than you can at the local Honda dealer. So search the internet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts