Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 MDX Elite with 195,000km (121,000 miles) on it.

My wife was driving on Friday and just turned off our street when she heard a bang and the engine stopped, all kinds of warning messages came on. Has it towed to Acura and this morning it was determined that the timing belt came off (didn't break). It was replaced before I bought it, at the recommended interval. I guess they've seen this once before in an MDX. Maybe the tensioner failed?

Waiting to hear now if my 3rd party warranty purchased when I bought the vehicle at Acura will cover it. I'm not all that optimistic, even though I've met their foolish oil change requirements.

If not, rebuild would be about $4700, while swapping another engine with half the km's would be around $5k, so that's a no brainer.

What a ****ty Monday...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
wow... who did the previous tb change, Acura dealer or indy shop?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is my experience in having TB done at dealer:

"I went to Mike Harvey Acura, they have a coupon package, which include the following for $970
1. WP
2. Drive belt
3. TB
4. Crankshaft seal
5. Camshaft seal
They agreed to add tensioner, adjuster and idler pulley at cost, no labor.
This helps. So I added tensioner for 140, which brings the total to $1110. I
asked about adjuster and idler, the adviser told me failures related to
them are not common. So basically I skipped spark plugs, idler and adjuster
for a saving of $400. I hope this information will be helpful to others. (I
can DIY spark plugs, radiator hoses and thermostats easily.)"

So you can see that I did 'cheap' out a little bit on adjuster and idler, but I paid for a new tensioner. Failure related to idler and ajuster are not fatal, usually. Hope this helps. Next time I shall do this my self and replace everything in sight.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It does sound like a tensioner failure. If you can find the records and they DID replace the tensioner, it should be covered by the 1-year warranty included with Acura parts. I had this happen on a VW once where the new tensioner failed and grenaded the engine. Since it was within a year, the part warranty covered a new top end of the motor and everything. I really dislike timing belts though. While chains can and do break, it's extremely uncommon compared to belt issues. Plus the chains usually give you some notice they're going bad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is my experience in having TB done at dealer:

"I went to Mike Harvey Acura, they have a coupon package, which include the following for $970
1. WP
2. Drive belt
3. TB
4. Crankshaft seal
5. Camshaft seal
They agreed to add tensioner, adjuster and idler pulley at cost, no labor.
This helps. So I added tensioner for 140, which brings the total to $1110. I
asked about adjuster and idler, the adviser told me failures related to
them are not common. So basically I skipped spark plugs, idler and adjuster
for a saving of $400. I hope this information will be helpful to others. (I
can DIY spark plugs, radiator hoses and thermostats easily.)"

So you can see that I did 'cheap' out a little bit on adjuster and idler, but I paid for a new tensioner. Failure related to idler and ajuster are not fatal, usually. Hope this helps. Next time I shall do this my self and replace everything in sight.
Sorry, what a major bummer! What is an "adjuster"? I would definitely replace everything that touches the TB and certainly not rely on anecdotal and quite likely inaccurate information from a service writer. Failure of an idler pulley will make the TB fail, just like the tensioner.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
"Adjuster" is not a part name in the Timing Belt area..

1.- Hydraulic Tensioner
2.- Tensioner Pulley (Which has its own Swing arm included)
2.- Idler Pulley

Those 3 are the individual parts that need to be changed with the Waterpump so all the driving pulleys in the Timing Belt are new.

·
Registered
171 Posts
"Adjuster" is not a part name in the Timing Belt area..

1.- Hydraulic Tensioner
2.- Tensioner Pulley (Which has its own Swing arm included)
2.- Idler Pulley

Those 3 are the individual parts that need to be changed with the Waterpump so all the driving pulleys in the Timing Belt are new.
I know that and agree with your recommendation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I changed out the tb and goodies on my J35 at 145k, the parts that came out looked and felt brand new. I felt stupid for throwing them out.

I would be willing to bet if no one changed them, they would last the life of the vehicle most of the time. I am not saying worth the risk. But they are quality parts.

Not that it matters, but I bet your failure is the result of a botched install, not a failed part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts