Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I bought my 2004 MDX touring package about a month ago. Instantly wanted to get it up to date with maintenance and any issues at all.

Changed the front two lower control arms as the bushings were rotted out. These were pretty easy actually. I did however tear a boot on the driver side axle so I was on my way to change that out now.

Got the new drivers side axle in and out in about 30 minutes probably one of the easiest axles I've ever done.

Went and got an alignment and my good friend who is the suspension tech showed me that the passenger side axle boot was starting to spit grease lol here we go. Ordered that and had it in and out in about an hour. Was a little harder to separate this one from the intermediate shaft but it worked out.

Wanted to do the spark plugs and this turned into a whole ordeal. Pulled the first front coil and it was drenched in oil. Valve cover gaskets here I come. These were a little bit of a pain because of all the things you have to move around but got it done and new plugs on the front 3. Waited till last night to start on the rear 3 and it was the same issue only I had to take off the plenum to get to the valve cover bolts on the rear valve cover. Got this all done including spark plugs, valve cover gasket, plenum gaskets and all in about 3 hours including a trip to the parts store.

I also changed the stock cassette CD player to a touch screen Bluetooth unit which was a huge upgrade and very easy to do. I bought on Crutchfield.com and highly recommend them, they included trim kit, harness, install and removal instructions with the price of the stereo. I opted to not purchase the steering wheel control module which was an extra 60$.

Over all I'm happy with this car and have learned a great deal. I'm very handy with cars and mechanics and could probably run a shop from my garage. I have been very handy and useful with 4 cylinder cars but this v6 from the MDX has taught me a lot. I've been a little hands off but just drove right in to this one and it's been great to learn.

If anyone has any question on how to do any of this stuff feel free to ask I'll help as best as I can. I read that people thought you'd have to remove the throttle body to take out the spark plugs in the rear and this is false. I didn't even take it off to remove the plenum. It's fine with it is and just took it off as one big unit.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I bought my 2004 MDX touring package about a month ago. Instantly wanted to get it up to date with maintenance and any issues at all.

Changed the front two lower control arms as the bushings were rotted out. These were pretty easy actually. I did however tear a boot on the driver side axle so I was on my way to change that out now.

Got the new drivers side axle in and out in about 30 minutes probably one of the easiest axles I've ever done.

Went and got an alignment and my good friend who is the suspension tech showed me that the passenger side axle boot was starting to spit grease lol here we go. Ordered that and had it in and out in about an hour. Was a little harder to separate this one from the intermediate shaft but it worked out.

Wanted to do the spark plugs and this turned into a whole ordeal. Pulled the first front coil and it was drenched in oil. Valve cover gaskets here I come. These were a little bit of a pain because of all the things you have to move around but got it done and new plugs on the front 3. Waited till last night to start on the rear 3 and it was the same issue only I had to take off the plenum to get to the valve cover bolts on the rear valve cover. Got this all done including spark plugs, valve cover gasket, plenum gaskets and all in about 3 hours including a trip to the parts store.

I also changed the stock cassette CD player to a touch screen Bluetooth unit which was a huge upgrade and very easy to do. I bought on Crutchfield.com and highly recommend them, they included trim kit, harness, install and removal instructions with the price of the stereo. I opted to not purchase the steering wheel control module which was an extra 60$.

Over all I'm happy with this car and have learned a great deal. I'm very handy with cars and mechanics and could probably run a shop from my garage. I have been very handy and useful with 4 cylinder cars but this v6 from the MDX has taught me a lot. I've been a little hands off but just drove right in to this one and it's been great to learn.

If anyone has any question on how to do any of this stuff feel free to ask I'll help as best as I can. I read that people thought you'd have to remove the throttle body to take out the spark plugs in the rear and this is false. I didn't even take it off to remove the plenum. It's fine with it is and just took it off as one big unit.

Cheers!

They are great little SUVs, but be aware of transmission issues. It was the weakness of this generation MDX. Nice work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are great little SUVs, but be aware of transmission issues. It was the weakness of this generation MDX. Nice work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Agreed! And I've been aware of this since purchase. I did also change the transmission fluid and rear differential fluids as well and it's driving nice so hopefully it stays this way for a long time!

Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm planning to upgrade the audio unit on my '03 with a bluetooth-capable one. Which model did you go with? How are the installation steps? I hope I won't have to dismantle the whole dash just to get to it...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm planning to upgrade the audio unit on my '03 with a bluetooth-capable one. Which model did you go with? How are the installation steps? I hope I won't have to dismantle the whole dash just to get to it...
Buy a plastic pry tool, they are cheap
The front frame comes off. (There are like 5 jacks for the little accessories)

the radio and navi are held on by 4 screws.

There are 3 jacks holding the radio and navi.
That's how you disassemble it. Pretty easy if you have the tool
I could do it in about 20 mins...(Given the fact I've done it about 10 times)...don't you hate finding a screw you forgot to put back after you are done ? haha

Capri Tools Nylon Auto Trim Panel Removal Set (6-Piece)-CP21076 - The Home Depot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts