Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
63 Posts
I sent my 2011 in today for a BG full transmission flush, picking up my car tomorrow and will let you know if it made a difference. I already tried the 3 x 3 trans drain years ago and I do a single trans oil change every 3000 miles at the same time that I change my engine oil. Trans oil still doesn't seem fresh because diluting dirty fluid with few quarts of new fluid is like taking out a few cups of toilet water then adding clean water then expecting it to be drinkable. Obviously Acura didn't put much thought into making transmission maintenance easily doable. Take a look at how BG cleans out the trans. Transmission | BG Products, Inc.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Sounds like a full load of ####. If you think drain and refill is not good enough, just do it via ATF to radiator hoses. This BG stuff might kill your transmission.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
I sent my 2011 in today for a BG full transmission flush, picking up my car tomorrow and will let you know if it made a difference. I already tried the 3 x 3 trans drain years ago and I do a single trans oil change every 3000 miles at the same time that I change my engine oil. Trans oil still doesn't seem fresh because diluting dirty fluid with few quarts of new fluid is like taking out a few cups of toilet water then adding clean water then expecting it to be drinkable. Obviously Acura didn't put much thought into making transmission maintenance easily doable. Take a look at how BG cleans out the trans. Transmission | BG Products, Inc.

What kind fluid was used? 312 or 314?

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
63 Posts
What kind fluid was used? 312 or 314?
I brought my own Valvoline full synthetic which is compatible with my 2011 Acura Mdx. They put in some BG cleaning additives then filled the BG machine with 17.5 quarts which it uses to flush the entire trans while your car is jacked up on the rack and running through the gears. The machine pretty much flushes your system 2 times so I suspect that majority of the crud does come out.

After I drove my car home today, I checked the fluid and guess what, it was way cleaner than when I did the 3 x 3 flush, so clean that I pulled the dipstick over 6 times to make sure. Pure brand new fluid is all I could see and smell after driving home 8 miles from their shop. For $180 bucks, it was well worth it knowing they got out as much of the old fluid as possible without taking the trans apart.

Sounds like a full load of ####. If you think drain and refill is not good enough, just do it via ATF to radiator hoses. This BG stuff might kill your transmission.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Did I mention that I have been racing and building race cars for over 37 years? I've seen what neglect or using inferior products can do so let's just say i'm a stickler when it comes to overkill preventive maintenance, plus I'm never lazy nor stingy when it comes to my kid or my vehicles.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I brought my own Valvoline full synthetic which is compatible with my 2011 Acura Mdx. They put in some BG cleaning additives then filled the BG machine with 17.5 quarts which it uses to flush the entire trans while your car is jacked up on the rack and running through the gears. The machine pretty much flushes your system 2 times so I suspect that majority of the crud does come out.

After I drove my car home today, I checked the fluid and guess what, it was way cleaner than when I did the 3 x 3 flush, so clean that I pulled the dipstick over 6 times to make sure. Pure brand new fluid is all I could see and smell after driving home 8 miles from their shop. For $180 bucks, it was well worth it knowing they got out as much of the old fluid as possible without taking the trans apart.

Did you add ATC plus? Why not to use BG 312 it is compatible too. Anyways shifting must be much better now.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
63 Posts
Did you add ATC plus? Why not to use BG 312 it is compatible too. Anyways shifting must be much better now.
The shop did add ATC plus and I checked the fluid today, it is still brand new looking and smelling, not even a sign of partially mixed oil fluid can be found. This weekend hopefully I will get to install my huge trans cooler that has been sitting in my closet for over a year and will replace that inline trans filter. Trans filter is coming from the dealer this week and I will cut the old one in half with my sawzall to see how the insides look. Oh yea, I would of used the BG trans fluid but the shop didn't have any at the time which is why they let me bring my own.

Did you use Valvoline MaxLife ATF... heard this was a great alternative to DW1 ATF....
Yes, I did use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Mercon ATF for the flush and to fill my trans.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you paid $180 for a complete flush and you don’t have to get dirty that is priceless! It cost me $90 for for 3x3 flush and too much work and got dirty with greases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Must be a Canadian thing, they wanted 300 to do mine down here

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
63 Posts
So you paid $180 for a complete flush and you don’t have to get dirty that is priceless! It cost me $90 for for 3x3 flush and too much work and got dirty with greases.
I usually like to do all the work on my cars but thoroughly flushing a MDX trans is an almost impossible task without the trans flushing machine. And yes, it was well worth the $180 not having to lie down or bend over in uncomfortable positions, get oil and grease all over my body and in my hair then have to take a bath with hand cleaner and Dawn soap.:D Now if I could only find someone would do my timing belt job for under a $1000(in Hawaii), now that would be worth it to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts