Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy am I glad some forums are still going these days...

24 hours ago, I bought an '06 MDX with only 82K on the board and very clean. My wife and I took a good test drive, dropped some cash, and she drove it the 50 miles home.

Once at home, I took it out for a pizza run and after leaving a stop sign, the vehicle felt like it drove over a speed-grade. I tip in the throttle much slower than my wife and while test driving, we were on main roads and were never in this exact conditions.

I had just joined this site (excited about getting some wheel ideas and learn more about the car) and "fortunately", I looked up this trans condition and saw it was nothing to treat as an isolated incident.

So less than a day later, I have taken the vehicle back to the dealer under the "implied warranty condition" and the Acura trans mechanic was able to recreate the feeling and suspected it was the usual torque converter issue. Right now, they are sounding like they will fix/cover even if a new trans is needed. However, I'll wait and see what the bean-counters decide on Monday. I'm expecting a bit of a fight since I did not go for the dealer warranty (but isn't that what we pay the "Honda premium" for?)

I'm already appreciating the advice and threads around here after one day, as without it, I may not have known as you know most online reviews are very positive on the model. I've owned a ton of Hondas over the years and this is certainly the most upscale of them all, so I was hoping for a pretty long trouble free relationship, which is why I didn't buy the Volvo XC90 because of its trans issues! Somewhere, my '05 Grand Caravan that the MDX is replacing is laughing with its 155K miles & no eng/trans issues. Oh well...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well its not like the TC issues and Trans issues on the early models are not well documented right?
The TC issue is an easy fix and the dealership should give you no problems with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an 04 with 87,000 miles and never liked the way the trans behaved, it didn't fit my driving profile. Unfortunately, the car sat from July till now, the shifter is hard to move (happened before, had the trans cable lubed) and the tansmission is starting to shudder when I tap the gas pedal and immediately release it. Last year the line from the trans to the radiator blew, leaving me an empty transmission and fluid all over the parking lot, I fear that these factors could lead to it's death a little sooner than others (which is already lower than it should be)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well cars that sit for months unused will always have issues, the fluids brake down pretty fast and gas goes bad. Have had to deal with this in the past when having motorbikes, we would drain all fluids over winter and take off the chain etc..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help 09 Acura MDX Transmission

Boy am I glad some forums are still going these days...

24 hours ago, I bought an '06 MDX with only 82K on the board and very clean. My wife and I took a good test drive, dropped some cash, and she drove it the 50 miles home.

Once at home, I took it out for a pizza run and after leaving a stop sign, the vehicle felt like it drove over a speed-grade. I tip in the throttle much slower than my wife and while test driving, we were on main roads and were never in this exact conditions.

I had just joined this site (excited about getting some wheel ideas and learn more about the car) and "fortunately", I looked up this trans condition and saw it was nothing to treat as an isolated incident.

So less than a day later, I have taken the vehicle back to the dealer under the "implied warranty condition" and the Acura trans mechanic was able to recreate the feeling and suspected it was the usual torque converter issue. Right now, they are sounding like they will fix/cover even if a new trans is needed. However, I'll wait and see what the bean-counters decide on Monday. I'm expecting a bit of a fight since I did not go for the dealer warranty (but isn't that what we pay the "Honda premium" for?)

I'm already appreciating the advice and threads around here after one day, as without it, I may not have known as you know most online reviews are very positive on the model. I've owned a ton of Hondas over the years and this is certainly the most upscale of them all, so I was hoping for a pretty long trouble free relationship, which is why I didn't buy the Volvo XC90 because of its trans issues! Somewhere, my '05 Grand Caravan that the MDX is replacing is laughing with its 155K miles & no eng/trans issues. Oh well...
Sweetback - Can you provide an update? I'm currently experiencing transmission problems with my 2009 Acura MDX. If I need a new transmission and/or torque converter, then I would like to have part of the cost covered by Acura since it's a known problem with a TSB for it. Please let me know how your situation was resolved. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just bought an 04 MDX for a winter beater. didn't notice anything on the day of purchase. the next day, while in D5 in city traffic, i noticed the shutter. changed the tramission oil twice in one night. the noises was still present. googled a lot and learned that city driving should be done in D4, highway driving in D5. problem solved. well, sort of. :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It is not a rule that you have to drive every time in the city on D4, the car should work flawlessly even on D5... Driving on D4 is a band aid for the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts