Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Va Tech Hokie put me onto a product called the Absorber. This is a fantastic drying cloth requiring very little wringing! If you squeegee the windows before drying the rest of the car, drying becomes very quick and easy!

Hope this is not redundant info......just sharing the joy!;)

By the way, I tried my Z7, Z1, Z2, and Z6 last night for the first time and I love it, too!!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the tip, 'X MOM! So......you've been Zaino-fied, huh? Do you feel it made that much of a noticible difference on your white 'X?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Charlieinnj!

I really do like the Zaino. I could detect a significant difference in the feel of the surfaces. Also, the Z6 worked great on the windshield as a water repellant or sheeting agent, if you will. (I don't normally drive it in the rain - we have an extra car;) - but I got caught in an unexpected shower yesterday!) I know the "Zaino shine" would be much more evident on a dark color, but I thought my white looked exceptional as well! (Love that white - is there any other color?;) )

Are you a long time Zaino user? My only concern has been with long term durability - like 8-10 yrs. I hope it holds up as well as a wax. The pics I have seen on this site have been very encouraging! The Worm's X looks amazing with Zaino - that is what made us take the plunge!

Really - try that Absorber - it is great!!:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Hi Charlieinnj!

'X MOM said:
Are you a long time Zaino user? My only concern has been with long term durability - like 8-10 yrs. I hope it holds up as well as a wax.
zaino has been around over 15 yrs now - absolutely no concerns over long term effects . . . .

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yup, I like the Absorber too 'X MOM, though IMO it doesn't dry quite as completely as a real chamois. I still use it because it's so much easier to use.

Another key to quick drying time: take the spray nozzle off of your water hose and pour a steady stream of water on the X from top down. This 'sheets' the drops of water on the car, and dramatically cuts drying time.

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
143 Posts
'XMOM.....

'X MOM said:
Are you a long time Zaino user? ......Really - try that Absorber - it is great!!:D
X'MOM ~
C'mere....real close....I have to whisper this....;) I don't use Zaino.
Honestly, I'm perfectly content using the Mequire's products. I've used them for years and love them.

I'll keep an eye out for the Absorber, though. I REALLY miss being able to hand-wash my 'X :D but, here in NJ, we're under mandatory water restrictions and it's prohibited.

But, robyjo's tip is a good one. I had never heard of it but back when we were allowed to wash our own cars, I had just purchased some Mequire's car wash stuff and, on the bottle, it said to keep the water streaming on the car's surface as opposed to 'spraying'. I was amazed as to the difference in the 'sheeting' that took place and there was very little drying/wiping left to do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I personally like the (Water) Sprite. When I worked as a detailer for a car dealer (while I was in college), this is what we used. It is also a synthetic chamois. I find it easier than the Absorber. It's easier to ring out and it's less 'sticky'. And the more you use it the better it gets. I've seen the absorber get 'mildewy' and smelly. I think I've tried almost everything, big cotton bath towels, real chamois, the absorber, and other sythetics. I can't use anything else anymore. It's somewhat hard to find. I had to buy my last one in Hawaii this past December. I must have had my previous one for over two years maybe three (And I tend to wash a car every weekend). When the Sprite get really old, I use that one for drying the engine area and wheels. It doesn't scrach/swirl the paint (I have dark colored cars).

As far as Zaino, I love it. I seen other products give a shine just as good as Zaino (I'm only on my third coat), but it last longer and repels dust better. And it doens't make a lot of powder after wiping it off. Again I tired all kinds of products. These two I recommend.

·
Registered
715 Posts
charlie....pssst, I need to whisper something in your ear that only you can hear.

(Hey, doesn't this sound like the Godfather Part III where that guy goes in to this guy's office, is searched and pronounced 'clean" yet stabs this guy thru his eyeball with the frames of his glasses?? That was sooo cool. Unless you were the guy with the glasses in your eye or the other guy who was promptly shot thru his head, but that's another story).

I used Meguiar's, but tried Zaino and switched for the reasons I posted and others have ad nauseum on this site. M is not bad, but Z is soooo much better. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again, Charlieinnj.........

I discovered your "secret" while reading other postings afterwards! You won't be chastised by me for using Meguire's products, because I use it on our other cars........there I admitted it :eek: ! I am using Duragloss car wash (already had a lot of this and Meguire's) on those cars and Zaino everything on the 'X.

When you can hand wash again - do check out the Absorber! I will also look for the product Robyjo recommended....it has to be super great if it beats the Absorber! I could have hugged Va Tech Hokie when I used it the first time - I used to hate drying cars with other products! ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys.....

:D are such a riot! I find myself sitting at home, by myself, in front of a computer screen - laughing at the way we interact with one another! That's why this is such a great site! Well, that AND the fact that I can post dumb questions without fear of being seriously embarrassed!!;)

Thanks Homer2 for the Z info. I am glad to know it's been around a long time. I want the 'X to stay looking great - it just has to......my husband said we have to keep it 20 years for $40K:rolleyes: !! ........hope he's kidding ;) !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: You guys.....

'X MOM said:
:D
my husband said we have to keep it 20 years for $40K:rolleyes: !! ........hope he's kidding ;) !
i'm wondering why you even typed that out . . ? ?

you are the first woman ive ever sorta met that actually "may" take what her husband says to have any weight or merit :D

we all know you simply let us think we are in charge - just like a cat lets us think it is OUR pet - meanwhile its point of view is that it lets us live with it

:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amen, Homer2!

If there's an AMEN corner in this forum - let me know where it is! At least you aren't living in a dream world!;) :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
One product Ive used is this silicone squeegy thing I bought at Costco. I cant remember the name but I can look it up. It says its safe on paint and meant to dry a car. It really works great. When you swipe it across the car, its totally dry underneath. (And it really glides well if the car has been Zainoed).

This was discussed in another thread. A concern brought up was that if some bit of grit was caught under it,it could scratch the car. Because of this comment, I was reluctant to use it. The last time I went to dry the car, I was going to try a real chamois my son had picked up (well, I probably picked it up, he just slipped it in the cart). I rinsed it out and just before I was going to use it, I saw some dirt on it. Now that could have scratched the car. I put it aside and ended up using regular towels (100% cotton recommended by The Worm). This incident made me feel I should give the squeegie thing another whirl. Of course, you still have to use a towel or something for some areas it misses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
"my wife trained me to always tell the truth - no matter how much trouble it gets me in" :D

and while we are on the truth - I use that California Water Blade - havent been able to prove it has caused any marks

although, i do wipe it with a hand towel i carry with me - after every swipe

then finish the car with a Royal Velvet towel, in the areas the blade just isnt going to do

they are helpful for larger vehichles -

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Robyjo,

You said:
"Another key to quick drying time: take the spray nozzle off
of your water hose and pour a steady stream of water on
the X from top down. This 'sheets' the drops of water on
the car, and dramatically cuts drying".

Your drying suggestion works great. I had never tried this
before, but it truly does cut down the amount of
water one needs to remove from the vehicle. Thanks for
the suggestion!!!!

Hokie....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hokie,

(Sorry for the late reply)
No problem amigo! I couldn't believe the time saver this was either...

Rob :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts