Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used their Acura MDX 2014-2016 for giving a jump start to a second car?

I have the 2016 Acura MDX technology package. Our second car died today and I tried using my MDX to give a jump start. However, the battery on the MDX looks fancier. Posting here because I wasn't sure if it is safe to use the mdx for a jump start.

Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Has anyone used their Acura MDX 2014-2016 for giving a jump start to a second car?

I have the 2016 Acura MDX technology package. Our second car died today and I tried using my MDX to give a jump start. However, the battery on the MDX looks fancier. Posting here because I wasn't sure if it is safe to use the mdx for a jump start.

Thanks.
although for my 2014. i think it's the same. if in doubt check your own manual and lookup "Jump Starting" within the table of contents.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It always seems the vehicle that needs a jump is always in a awkward position (in a garage, head first in a tight parking spot, etc...). I purchased the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V, Ebay used $85 or around $100 new. It really came in handy in jump starting several vehicles, recharging smartphones/iPad, or needing a handy light at night. It is small enough to fit in the wife purse at the beach (without the jumper cables) or toss in the back of the MDX until needed. The only limitation with this is it hasn't started a battery that was +90% dead (still have jumper cables for those occasions).

·
Registered
2,786 Posts

Thanks.
As long as you don't have an Adv model with the AGM battery, you should be OK jumping others. I personally haven't tried it yet, but I haven't seen anyone post horror stories from doing so (maybe we just haven't had a guinea pig yet >:) ) and nothing points to our Tech model battery as being different than standard. It is, however, embedded under the intake tract, so you'll need to remove some covers and the tract before gaining access to the pos and neg terminals on the battery.

The instructions in the manual that manera posted is only for receiving a jump, not giving. A product like MrGold suggested can be procured for quite cheap these days, usually in the $30-40 range on sale. They only last for about half a dozen jumps though I believe.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The NOCO GB40 version is advertised for up to 20 jumps, jump up to a 6L V-8 engine, and 1000 amps of power (and charge 4 smartphones/ipads). There are quite a few on the market with less amps and jump power for less $$$. People think you are an automotive whiz when you whip this little thing out and jump their car in the parking lot at work in a few minutes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reference / suggestion - I just picked up a similar unit, in fact to boost/jump start my MDX (will eventually be subject of another thread).

The 'jumper cables' that come out of this unit are quite short and will not reach to the recommend part of the engine block for negative (per the MDX manual) - can anyone recommend what is a good negative location for the boost on the battery side of the engine compartment? (This is for a 2014 MDX)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Any nearby bare metal should work. Everything should be grounded to a ground or grounds in the bay. That negative ground provided is just a convenience item.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks much. Arranged to a bolt at front of the car on frame, worked beautifully. Thanks to the poster who provided this link and suggestion. It is a huge improvement over older-style units and jumping from another car. Huge, huge thanks. Now I can concentrate on figuring out why the battery drained.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It always seems the vehicle that needs a jump is always in a awkward position (in a garage, head first in a tight parking spot, etc...). I purchased the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V, Ebay used $85 or around $100 new. It really came in handy in jump starting several vehicles, recharging smartphones/iPad, or needing a handy light at night. It is small enough to fit in the wife purse at the beach (without the jumper cables) or toss in the back of the MDX until needed. The only limitation with this is it hasn't started a battery that was +90% dead (still have jumper cables for those occasions).

I have one of these.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Thanks.
Yes, safe to do if you do it properly.

The lot boy at my dealership jumped a 2016 MDX and hooked up the cables wrong. He fried all of the electronics on the 2016 MDX being jumped. The dealer has been working on fixing this car for 2 months. Has been replacing all of the circuit boards one at a time until it starts. 2 months later it still does not start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, safe to do if you do it properly.

The lot boy at my dealership jumped a 2016 MDX and hooked up the cables wrong. He fried all of the electronics on the 2016 MDX being jumped. The dealer has been working on fixing this car for 2 months. Has been replacing all of the circuit boards one at a time until it starts. 2 months later it still does not start.
Ouch. I did this once when I was young - stupid, and blew a main fuse, but that was a car without much electronics. Seemed expensive then at a hundred dollars or so to fix it.

This is one of the main reasons I wanted one of these newer ones: they have circuitry to prevent this type of thing occurring. Probably not a guarantee but still an improvement.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I purchased the Michelin 5100 Smart Jumper Cables with Surge Protection, Amazon, $37, that are suppose to be 100% idiot proof and no spark when connecting. All the power switching takes place in the circuit box so it doesn't matter if you switch the pos/neg cables by accident. I have a set for each vehicle and we use them for us or other vehicles several times a year.

The only downside is the vehicle you need to jump can't be 100% dead. These cables need a charge on the other battery to do the safety check and push a charge. I never had to jump a 100% dead battery, these jumper cable positives outweigh the one negative.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I purchased the Michelin 5100 Smart Jumper Cables with Surge Protection, Amazon, $37, that are suppose to be 100% idiot proof and no spark when connecting. All the power switching takes place in the circuit box so it doesn't matter if you switch the pos/neg cables by accident. I have a set for each vehicle and we use them for us or other vehicles several times a year.

The only downside is the vehicle you need to jump can't be 100% dead. These cables need a charge on the other battery to do the safety check and push a charge. I never had to jump a 100% dead battery, these jumper cable positives outweigh the one negative.

Brilliant! But if there is a failure or glitch in that junction box, you are going to want to kill yourself.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Brilliant! But if there is a failure or glitch in that junction box, you are going to want to kill yourself.
So far, I'm +10 years for the oldest of 3 pairs I have and the cables never failed to perform. Having the smart jumper cables, NOCO charger, and home battery charger/maintainer has me covered 100% for battery issues at home or on the road.

When the alternator died and depleted the battery on the TSX. It didn't matter if I jumped the TSX because the battery was near zero charge. I had to remove the battery and charge it at home. I was able to start the TSX after that and drive to Firestone to replace the alternator. Took more time; but, a lot cheaper than a tow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts