Registered
6,531 Posts
I tried your link ...

... and it failed.:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
The link worked for me...

Don't have any experience using this, but like you, am sure interested to hear from any who have used them. They sure would be a lot 'cleaner' to work with instead of messing under the hood.

I always carry jumper cables with me, and have assisted many stranded motorists with them. Amazes me every time I have to show a male how to use them, though (which happens more often than one would imagine) ;)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
It worked that time ...

... must have been a glitch/traffic whatever.

Never heard of such a system, but I am not so sure I want all that current moving through my dashboard's electrical system:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Prsonally I heard conflicting views. Some say it's great no messing around under the hood. Other say how can you charge you Batt through the electrical system from the cig lighter to the batt backwards. All this though the gauge of wire it has. Compare the gauge of the wire of the jumper to the wire of a regular pair of jumpre cables. Personally I rather spend a bit more and get one of them battery jumper and a pair of good quality jumper cables.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: I tried your link ...

msu79gt82 said:
... and it failed.:confused:

I had to click it 3 time before it worked.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I had same problem with link, but based on other posts, retried and got in.

Regarding this "miracle jumper cable":

If you want to "jump a car NOW", you need to provide enough current to the "dead vehicle" to turn the starter over. The deader it is, the more current that is needed.

Jumper cables are "big and thick" so that they can carry lots of power [amps], enabling one to jump start a really dead car [assuming your battery has enough guts].

Battery chargers enable one to "start a car with a dead battery" by charging the battery. The chargers have "thin wires" [sized based on the amp rating of the charger].

Based on the pic of this miracle charger, I would bet that it "could jump a dead car" but would also bet that you might need to connect and wait a while. This while could be lots of minutes, possibly hours, if the dead car is really dead.

Sooooo, if time is not an issue, it would probably work eventually.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they did mention something about "5 minutes".

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Just read your PM on that.

I dunno, honestly. I think it would take some charging time for it to work, if your battery's dead and you're in a hurry, cables are the way to go.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The best bet are the portable battery systems/jumpers. They are dry cell, hold a charge for a long time, and very portable....and start anything cables can. They run about $80, and fit in the headrest storage area.

Main reason this is best though, jumping a new car with cable risks blowing the engine computer out (goes for jumping or being jumped). Just had the computer replaced on my Boxster,a nd that was the 1st question they asked

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mcclendons ... Is a HD a Harley ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
How?

mcclendons said:
...Main reason this is best though, jumping a new car with cable risks blowing the engine computer out (goes for jumping or being jumped). Just had the computer replaced on my Boxster,a nd that was the 1st question they asked
If car A has dead battery & car B has a good battery why would jump start risk a "blown computer". While if they replaced the computer under warranty, I suppose this is a minor detail, I would certainly not let them get away this "explanation" as a way out of paying warranty claim on EITHER car A or car B.

Properly hooking up cable to battery should pose no risk to computer or other electrical/electronic components. All the jump accomplishes is a 'parallel' connection of batteries, effectively adding car B amperage to the "too low to start" amperage of car A.

Now it is possible that something that CAUSED the power of car A's battery to get too low damaged the computer, but then the car probably would not have started even with the jump...

Similarly, <u>improperly</u> connecting the jumper cables (such that a SERIES connection resulted in doubling voltage, or even slef connecting either battery in a shorted circuit) could defiantely damage either car.

I have encountered some major doofus "service writers" at dealerships that will use any half baked excuse to shoo away customers and get back to their streaming coffee & donuts, generally these are the 'winners' that also make it sound like every owner is hell bent on destroying their car. In reality too few of these "service writers" have the first clue about diagnosing a problem...

·
Registered
217 Posts
renov8r,

The problem is not with the batteries, but the charging systems (remember the car doing the jumping should be running). When you hook up the cables and and try to start the dead car, a large load is put on the charging system of the other car. You can get spikes and surges on the charging system that the cars voltage regulator can't handle (one battery at 13+ volts, one at 10-11 ).....and if these spikes hit the computer designed for a regulated voltage..... The computer can blow on either the jumped or jumping car. I know what you may be thinking......no car electronics are that sensitive......but even "Click and Clack" do not endorse jumping anymore. The poratble battery gizmo's eliminate all risk.

In may case of the Porsche, it had not been jumped so no problem with them paying. Just mentioned it as they did ask right off the bat. Had I said yes, I had just jumped it, Porsche Roadside would have presented me with a nice new bill.

srpbrp, yes the "HD" is a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to clarify

mcclendons,

Does that mean that the "lighter-jump starter" I posted the question on is actually better than jumper cables? Will it carry enough charge to start the other car though?

·
Registered
217 Posts
MDXtrous,

I have not used that cables through a lighter, but would guess the risk is lower then normal cables. I do have my doubts on how well it would really work. Would be slow IMO. I pulled an article of the Net with the basic question. Quoted below

" Dear Tom and Ray: I continue to see ads for battery chargers and battery jumpers that operate through cars' cigarette lighters instead of the battery terminals. I have never tried one because I'm concerned that too many amps would be flowing through the lighter, which would be a hazard. Am I right to avoid these things? -- Ann
Ray: Yes, but for the opposite reason. Not enough electricity passes through them.
Tom: If too many amps passed through the lighter, it would blow a fuse. So these things have to trickle electricity from car to car so slowly that you could build your own replacement battery out of potatoes and twigs by the time your battery is charged back up.
Ray: So stick with traditional jumper cables, or, if that makes you uncomfortable, there are two other good options. One is a new kind of safer jumper-cable system that is supposedly idiot-proof (although, to be honest, I have yet to test it on my brother).
Tom: It's called Jump Star. The cables run through a computerized box that won't let any electricity flow until you have each of the connections hooked up correctly. They're quite pricey (about $100) and are made by Storm Enterprises. Contact your local auto supplier for more information.
Ray: Of course, the other safe option is a good, old-fashioned emergency-roadside-service membership, Ann. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mcclendons,

Really appreciate your research. This was my guess [see earlier post], but Tom & Ray do put it out there nicely.

Additionally, I thought of another concern. The MDX has "aux power outlets", NOT cigarette lighter receptacles. I am not sure how the aux outlets are wired/fused but I suspect that they are not designed to the carry the load that a cigarette lighter pulls. If these "charger thingies" are designed for cigarette lighter receptacles, they might pull too much current. Minimally, they could blow the circuit fuse!!

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I think the reason why they are designated as power outlets rather than cigarette lighters is a heat issue with the lighter element, but I could be wrong. That's what I always assumed it was, especially since there is a lighter/ashtray accessory kit for the X.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Tim ... Where does the cigarette lighter accessory get its power? ... Steven :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Well, it's gonna get the power from the same place that they all do....through a connection in the fuse block. The lighter is installed right where the accessory power thingy is now.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The gizmo that Tim is selling could in no way jump-start a car, but it could charge a car's battery well enough in an hour or two for the battery to do the starting -- with the caveat, of course, that everything like lights and radio are turned off in the "dead" car.

In the MDX, both the front and accessory power sockets are fed from the same 15A fuse; the rear socket has a 20A fuse (at least on the '01 models). The problem is: relays keep these power sockets disconnected unless the ignition key is turned to the ACC or ON positions. Thus, a few other things will be turned on and drawing power, making the charging slower.

I'd go with a GOOD pair of heavy-gauge (large wire) jumper cables, and take the time to read and KNOW their instructions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts