Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

We got our 2022 last Thursday. AWD, grey, with tech. We moved from 2018 VW Atlas.

So far so good. Dealer experience was OK with expected shenanigans.

Since this picture was taken, it now has running boards (work OK but flimsy), splash guards (disappointment, they are so small that barely cover anything). I'm still waiting for harnesses to mount a tow hitch and a HFA sensor.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey MSU. Just curious, why you left the VW Atlas? Atlas was a very strong contender when I was shopping but choose the MDX and I have been very happy with it. For me the Atlas interior felt a little cheap and as the VW salesmen told me "Well, VWs are Utilitarian and are geared for the Working Man" What? I spend this much money for low grade interior and that was their reasoning? Was the Atlas good for the 3 years you had it?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the family!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey MSU. Just curious, why you left the VW Atlas? Atlas was a very strong contender when I was shopping but choose the MDX and I have been very happy with it. For me the Atlas interior felt a little cheap and as the VW salesmen told me "Well, VWs are Utilitarian and are geared for the Working Man" What? I spend this much money for low grade interior and that was their reasoning? Was the Atlas good for the 3 years you had it?
Thanks!
We bought our Atlas cheap. We had it for 4 years 37k miles and got about $7k less as a trade-in than what we paid for it new. We also looked at the new Atlas when shopping for a replacement, but they got too expensive for what they offered and only minor things changed in 4 years.

Ours had some ongoing issues since new with vibrations at highway speeds. It manifested itself the most when I really needed a comfortable ride - on long vacation trips. No wheel balancing or tire changes helped. I finally bought an app that identifies possible causes of the vibrations in cars based on their frequency and it indicated problems with the drivetrain. It also had some minor problems that I attribute to it being first model year.

Given all that and our worse than bad experience with local dealer it was designated to be replaced a long time ago. But with us using it mostly for in-town school runs it was not urgent.

My wife really liked it. She liked the "utilitarian" design inside, materials quality aside. It was very spacious. Large cargo space. Having big child seats buckled and being able get to the 3rd row was huge in usability. Abundance of storage all around.

It was a car made for a family that has other priorities in life than caring about scratches on leather seats or wood trim. It shined for family with small kids that sometimes needed 3rd row access, did large Costco trips or/and needed loads of storage. Very well thought out car from that perspective.

It was engineered and built in a very solid way. From what I noticed so far installing some add-on on the MDX and looking at the undercarriage, I think it was built better than the MDX (adjusting for a price-point).

It also was front-drive biased with a weird throttle response and I hated scraping the tires every time I was taking off uphill with a turn.

If I was going to get another one, I would probably get the 2.0T and add the APR tune to it. The V6 was a bit of a disappointment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey MSU!

We just joined the Acura MDX family as well. Actually, I am rejoining the brand, I had a 1987 4 dr Integra hatchback that I loved. I beat the heck out of that car, drove the wheels off of it in the City of Chicago-like a cop! It took a licking and kept on ticking.

My crazy driving days are done, but I do hope that the MDX holds up like that old Integra.

We are trading a 2012 Audi Q5 for an A-Spec MDX, a dealer in South Florida has given us an msrp deal, and so far everything has been great. The car is supposed to arrive in about 30 days, we do not have a VIN yet, time will tell how this deal works out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey MSU!

We just joined the Acura MDX family as well. Actually, I am rejoining the brand, I had a 1987 4 dr Integra hatchback that I loved. I beat the heck out of that car, drove the wheels off of it in the City of Chicago-like a cop! It took a licking and kept on ticking.

My crazy driving days are done, but I do hope that the MDX holds up like that old Integra.

We are trading a 2012 Audi Q5 for an A-Spec MDX, a dealer in South Florida has given us an msrp deal, and so far everything has been great. The car is supposed to arrive in about 30 days, we do not have a VIN yet, time will tell how this deal works out...
Congrats and good luck!

The MDX seems to be a good car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For me the Atlas interior felt a little cheap and as the VW salesmen told me "Well, VWs are Utilitarian and are geared for the Working Man" What? I spend this much money for low grade interior and that was their reasoning?
Heh that was my impression as well with the Atlas. Interior less than amazing. It seems like the "Spiritual Successor" to our 2nd Gen Honda Pilot with the huge low rent interior and boxy design. We liked it a lot but didn't buy one. Sorry to hear you had issues with vibrations. I know how frusterating that is. The never ending NVH issues with our Pilot are a major reason why I hated driving it - especially on trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts