Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2016 Acura MDX. So far I love the car but have a question. Why did Acura put single exhaust on this year model ? I noticed that previous year models had dual exhaust. I just think that they look a lot better with the dual exhaust. Anyone know why this was done for 2016. The new 2017 even advertises as coming with dual exhausts. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have no idea why Acura did not put dual exhausts on the vehicle. I also don't know why they would stick a new 9 speed gear box on it for the 2016 model (2015 has the 6 speed) and 2017 apparently has a new 7 speed? The new 7 speed is advertised with their hybrid drive but I have not seen any other transmission options advertised at this point.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
None of us know. But the MDX really only needs ONE anyway and since they put the exhaust through where the existing reflectors were, they probably just decided to dual them to make it look symmetrical for 2017. They got a lot of bashing for the lack of exhaust pipe in the 3G MDX. My guess is that it's just an aesthetic decision.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This single exhaust was done for the 2014, 2015, 2016 models. Since Acura single exhausts other vehicles of theirs as well I assume it was a 'design direction' decision along with a likely build cost and slight weight savings. It's pretty clear that people who buy what they perceive as a performance vehicle, which IMO the MDX somewhat is for its type of vehicle, expect and want dual exhaust. When the 2014 MDX first came out there was a fair amount of post traffic here on the topic. From a practical perspective it doesn't actually add performance in the way it's typically done on a vehicle like this - it's just an aesthetic. My perspective is that I'd rather have the dual rather than the single just from the looks an symmetry and faux performance look perspective, but I'm not that bothered that it doesn't have it. I do, however, think Acura made the wrong decision when they decided single was the way to go. Whether Acura likes it or not I think many people want duals in a perceived performance vehicle even if they add no practical benefit. After driving this 2014 vehicle it's something I give no thought at all to. You likely won't either after a bit.

I also don't know why they would stick a new 9 speed gear box on it for the 2016 model (2015 has the 6 speed) and 2017 apparently has a new 7 speed? The new 7 speed is advertised with their hybrid drive but I have not seen any other transmission options advertised at this point.
I'm quite certain the non-hybrid retains the same 9 speed as the 2016. I think I saw it in the announcement. When the 3rd gen first came out, many of the same people who complained about the lack of dual exhaust also lamented that the tranny only had 6 speeds and wasn't one of the mega-geared trannies. There was a fair amount of posting on that. Of course, once the 9 speed came out many people now lamented that they switched from the 6 speed to the 9 speed and wanted the 6 speed instead. They had a bit of grounds for that since the 9 speed had some initial issues that apparently were corrected after the introduction by a software update to correct some shift point and gear hold issues.

It's hard to please all the people all the time.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Build cost, weight savings. Also, Acura apparently wanted a more 'green' image and exhaust outlets apparently remind everyone that its spewing toxins into the air. I read that in a couple places anyhow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts