Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Transmission System: P0873.
Did a quick search online and pointed to transmission pressure switch. But which one? I have 2011 MDX.

Immediate question is it safe for the transmission while driving temporarily with this issue. Of course I need to get it fix ASAP.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go ahead and change all 3 of the transmission pressure switches with OEM parts and also change the fluid if you haven't already done so.
Good advice. So there is ONLY ONE pressure switch for EACH gear?

When you said all 3 pressure switches, for what gears?

2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches?
I am going to do the 4th gear pressures switch first because that is what the code indicated and it seems easy to get access to the switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fixed and feeling pretty good after spending about $110 in parts!
$8.70 - washer (from local Acura dealer)
$92 - pressure switch (from local Honda dealer)
$8 - 22 mm deep socket (from Home Depot)

It’s a pressure switch 4th clutch located at the bottom in front of the transmission. This is a fix for Transmission System error code P0873.
Going to replace the rest of the pressure switches for preventive maintainance and safety concerns after getting parts online.
Font Auto part Engineering Urban design Slope
Handwriting Font Parallel Writing Paper
Gas Auto part Font Cable Electric blue
Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Whats up with oil leak?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Really feel the smooth shifting after the fix. This would explain why I had very minor rough shifting for the past 3-4 years until two days the pressure switch just stop working anymore.
This pressure switch isn’t cheap…$63 each online. I will probably need to replace the 2nd, 3rd and 5th clutch pressure switch.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have had my 4th/5th gear sensor fail 2x on my 07 MDX and wouldn't allow it to go past 4th gear into 5th. Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don’t know it’s wise to spend $340 to replace all the transmission pressure switches and that is exactly what I am going to do so that I don’t have to worry about transmission problem again. It’s 164k miles.
Font Circle Number Magenta Screenshot
Slope Triangle Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Fixed and feeling pretty good after spending about $110 in parts!
$8.70 - washer (from local Acura dealer)
$92 - pressure switch (from local Honda dealer)
$8 - 22 mm deep socket (from Home Depot)

It’s a pressure switch 4th clutch located at the bottom in front of the transmission. This is a fix for Transmission System error code P0873.
Going to replace the rest of the pressure switches for preventive maintainance and safety concerns after getting parts online. View attachment 118345 View attachment 118346 View attachment 118347 View attachment 118348

Dude!! You are damn awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don’t know it’s wise to spend $340 to replace all the transmission pressure switches and that is exactly what I am going to do so that I don’t have to worry about transmission problem again. It’s 164k miles. View attachment 118390 View attachment 118391
Maybe wait for the old switches to fail first? At least you have the parts and knowledge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good advice. So there is ONLY ONE pressure switch for EACH gear?

When you said all 3 pressure switches, for what gears?

2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches?
I am going to do the 4th gear pressures switch first because that is what the code indicated and it seems easy to get access to the switch.

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response… I actually have a 2007 so I think I had fewer pressure switches to replace than you do. I also had over 220k miles when I saw my first trouble code so of course I wanted to replace all of them to avoid any untimely breakdowns. My transmission has always shifted perfectly and if not for the warning I would have never known there was an issue. Now 15k miles later i have had no further problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts