Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 MDX (83000 miles, no kidding) had a coil, well, melt, and subsequently destroyed the plug, and of course, the debris fell into the cylinder. My therapist is helping me through this (joking, but this is pretty disturbing).

Now I need an engine. LKQ has engines with 120K plus miles on them, but I'm seeing JDM engines in the 70's for around $1200. Can anyone weigh in with any experience purchasing, installing, and getting some life out of a JDM engine in a '04, 05, 06 MDX?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The biggest issue with used engines is that they can be abused.
My mechanic put one in for me on a Infiniti and it took 4 engines before he got one he was satisfied. (Charged me $100 for each engine to check out as well)

Basically you pull the oilpan and look underneath to see if there are any shavings to show a bad set of rings.

JDMs are no different. It easier to deal with a local JDM shop instead of rolling the dice on an ebay one.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you assuming you need a new engine? Or how did you reach that conclusion?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
JDM Engines are often weaker than the USDM counterparts. Besides I don´t think there is a suitable JDM J35 replacement for the 1G MDX. AFAIK the earliest J35 Japan saw was the J35A7 which has VCM.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm with P07 on why you're replacing the engine. You didn't mention anything but sounds like you or the mechanic figured out the head was unrepairable, the debris cannot be removed, and engine ruined? If not the case, there was a post recently about the same problem and the poster was able to have the melted threads in the spark plug hole heli-coiled and save the engine - the post starts out as a trans discussion but changes topics to bad coil and damaged threads. Might be worth a read.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/155258-transmission-problem.html

You might consider buying a borescope that hooks via USB to a laptop on ebay or amazon for $25. I recall Autozone rents them (basically for free). Then, in this order 1) Assuming the spark plug hole is accessible, use the camera to inspect the threads in the head, inside the cylinder for what's in there, and if there is any major scoring. 2)Assuming you don't find anything major, try installing a plug, torque it, and it just spins, heli-coil the threads. 3)If if looks beyond threads but no scoring, replace the head and while at it, clean the cylinder of debris. 4) Replace the engine if the other items can't work.

If the engine is ruined, #2 might be a cheap $50 experiment for plug and heli-coil kit to try. Note the video shows how the debris was removed.

If you go with a used engine, ditto removing the pan. LKQ sells warranties. They probably sell used heads too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
962 Posts
If you were not having any serious engine problems prior to your fiasco, it's probably worth repairing your motor if it's not too expensive, based on the low mileage. Used motors are always a gamble. I did 2 JDM 4 cylinder engine swaps. First was a gem, the second was a POS.

It's a lot less work to pull a head and have it repaired by a qualified machine shop than it is to swap an engine.

In this case I know from experience.............Thanks to my wife.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody. I have a 2012 Acura MDX and we are replacing the engine (cyl #1low compression). We get an JDM engine and after almost finished swapping engines we have this problem , old engine crankshaft sensor is coming in oilpan , JDM engine crankshaft sensor is coming in timing belt area.( Not big deal) but old engine, it has a CK Sensor plate that is coming in the crankshaft .
JDM engine it doesn't have the plate.
I am thinking bypass the sensors signal from the JDM sensor ( timing belt area) and connect it to the computer, but I don't know if check engine it will coming "ON".
Someone it has that experience already?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lkq is overpriced, look on Craigslist and offerup for a parted out mdx there are 3 on my area (Seattle) selling engines for cheap. Also some junk yards might have low mileage engines they usually buy vehicles from auction after accidents and engines on can be great and cheap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts