Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Wall Street Journal states that J.D. Power's & Associates forecasts that sales of luxury SUVs will double over the next 5 years to make up 4% of the total car and light-truck market.

Many car makers (e.g Porche) are banking on the demand for high-end SUVs to keep growing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not surprised. I think people are realizing SUV's have other advantages beside just cargo room. We bought our SUV for the Kids but now I really like SUV's just for their all around advantages. I'm sure I'd buy one for my personal vehicle even if we didn't have ANY kids now. In fact, we are getting ready to sell our Sedan and get another SUV. I see no compelling reason to go with a Sedan. Luxury SUV's are quiet, reliable and drive like a dream.

I mainly love how easy they are to get in and out of (no squatting down, simply slide in sideways) and it's nice to have the all wheel drive in the rain. The Ground clearance is wonderful for us because we have a steep driveway and our Sedan always scrapes every time we pull into the driveway. Add to that the extra room in the back and higher seating position and they make a very attractive vehicle for just about anyone. With the advent of more poweful and fuel efficient V-6 engines out there they also are starting to shake the "planet killer" image that they have. I think people are getting hip to that and even folks without families are starting to buy them simply for their overall convenience.

·
Registered
338 Posts
except that SUV's drink a lot more gas than cars. Agreed that SUV's are becoming more efficient, but so are cars, and there is still a huge gap. God forbid if gas prices go to 3 bucks a gallon, all of us SUV owners are going to end up holding up assets with steeply diminished demand.

This is not to say that I am not buying one. I am buying a 03 X. After all, you've gotto live life also, right?

But for my daily office commute, I would buy the MINI Cooper (regular, not turbocharged, with SOME options) - for 18K, you can't get a better commute, and with 43mpg on the freeway, there's hardly a thirstier car!

·
Registered
238 Posts
MDX350 said:
except that SUV's drink a lot more gas than cars. Agreed that SUV's are becoming more efficient, but so are cars, and there is still a huge gap.
Ah well. Call me "politically incorrect" but I couldn't care less. I figure by the time Gas REALLY gets into short supply (not the manufactured short supplies the oil cartels create) we will have some other type of vehicle that uses some other type of fuel. At the rate we are going we are going to own the Middle East (figuratively speaking) soon anyway and I hear there's quite a bit of oil out that way. As far as cost goes? I just consider Gas prices as part of the cost of doing business. I will pay for it no matter what it costs and not give it a second thought. I prefer to choose my battles and worrying over the price of Gas is a loser. Picking my vehicle based on the price of Gas is also not something I'm willing to do. Gas is gas and whatever I have to pay I will. Kinda like Taxes. No point in fighting it because the powers that be have all the control. I just put it on the credit card and use it as a tax deduction at the end of the year. "Shame on me" I guess... But I really don't care... But I'm glad others do. For the sake of the planet and all that... :14:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
SUV growth.

DAMN....More SUVs on the road more and bigger roads and highways to build...I feel like back in the Dinosaur days...

Pretty soon we are gonna drain the natural resources and we will see graveyards of heaping SUV metals.:eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didn't mean to bash SUV's or SUV buyers - nothing like that - I am buying one myself!!!

Its just that one should be VERY skeptical of these "forecasts" - as the saying goes - if you torture data enough, it will confess to anything!!! And as another saying goes - forecasting is accurate, but only of the past!

There are many lobbies behind every such forecast.

·
Registered
238 Posts
MDX350 said:
Its just that one should be VERY skeptical of these "forecasts" - as the saying goes - if you torture data enough, it will confess to anything!!! And as another saying goes - forecasting is accurate, but only of the past!

There are many lobbies behind every such forecast.
True. I'm always amused by these so called "studies". Especially the ones that are in regards to products such as Cars. While I don't doubt that we will probably see more SUV's in the future, the sad truth of that is it's more likely due ot the fact that they are "in fashion" right now other than the fact that they are simply a very good choice for an all around vehicle. Of course that may lead to alot of the second purchase sales of SUV's whereby someone may want to "upgrade" a bit and buy a luxury SUV next time around in order to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Fireblade6:

___So long Ford Excursion :( It will be discontinued in the 2003/2004 model year …

___Does this get rid of the Dinosaur myth?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Excursion

yeah...the Ford Excursion will be taking an official "excursion" out of the ford assembly line and product line. What I dont get is why would anyone buy an SUV that is longer than a standard garage in an American house? Makes having a garage a waste of real estate if you own an Excursion....Wonder if Ford engineer thought about this when they build the damn thing.

Chevy kept its NEW surburban length the same for a VERY specific reason...HELLO!

:12:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Excursion

Fireblade6 said:
What I dont get is why would anyone buy an SUV that is longer than a standard garage in an American house? Makes having a garage a waste of real estate if you own an Excursion...
Maybe they ran a consumer profile and figured out the type of person who would own that large of an SUV probably has a Garage full of crap and can't park in there anyway... :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two Californians talking about Excursions

There are quit a few Excursions on the road here in Texas:rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Two Californians talking about Excursions. There are quit a few Excursions on the road here in Texas:rolleyes:
Hey, roll your eyes all you want about California. Your punishment is having to live in Texas. :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Fireblade6:

___So long Ford Excursion :( It will be discontinued in the 2003/2004 model year …

___Does this get rid of the Dinosaur myth?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]
My co-worker has one... There's quite a few of them in the SF Bay Area.

Was it not selling as well. Did Ford make a bundle in margins on this one?

After riding in one...
Parking is a headache but the ride is very smooth. He parks in outside in the driveway.

:4:

·
Registered
312 Posts
But for my daily office commute, I would buy the MINI Cooper- for 18K, you can't get a better commute, and with 43mpg on the freeway, there's hardly a thirstier car! [/B]
I agree!!!:D Great value and lots of personality. I just worry about running head on into a Luxury Ute!!!!:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts