Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I have no preference at all

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 3.5%

Japan vs Domestic Made Vehicles

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  renov8r 
#1 ·
I had a thread on this topic in the past but thought it might be a good idea to get some updates now that we have more usage and mileage on our SUV's. I actually am very happy with the MDX, but yesterday I drove my wife's 2000 Maxima se and was very impressed. It has only 15,000 miles but the drive is so quiet and squeak and rattle free in all respects. I still wish Acura would of assembled the MDX in Japan. I feel there quality control is much better than where it was assembled in canada. It's still an excellent SUV, but the Maxima cost almost $20,000 less and IMO is superior in it's assembly and contruction. Just some food for thought. Would like to hear some of you're opinions also.

#2 ·
I had my Pathfinder for 8 years now and had 120,000+ miles on them and never had any engine problem what's so ever, knock on wood. So for now on I'm sticking with Japanese cars. I'll stay away from domestic cars for now because of negative experience.

#3 ·
We haved owned about equal ...

... Japanese and Domestic through the years. We really enjoyed the Taurus and Concorde while we had them, in terms of what they "did", however we were not satisfied with the quality at all. There is now doubt that our Japanese cars (Toyota, Nissan, and Acura) have outperformed the Domestics by a very large margin in the reliability area.

We were burned by the Taurus and Concorde so bad we swore never again. However we did buy an Expedition that gave us no trouble at all. We traded it on the MDX because we liked the MDX better.

#4 ·
Japan V American made cars?

I grew up in a family of Chrysler products and I've personally owned six. The latest was a Chrysler Town & Country LXi. It was as good as they get, but still wasn't up to the reliability of Honda.
We've owned three Hondas (84,85,& 90). They just go and go, and after some detailing sell to the first buyer.
This 2002 MDX will be our first Acura, but we're also considering a new Acura TL.

#5 ·
Go for the TL

We have been very happy:cool:

#6 ·
my previous car was a Nissan Maxima 98, and I was very satisfied with it - i agree with paul, japanese built quality is still unmatched in comparison to any domestic or even european carmakers - i just wonder if lexus was assembled in U.S., would it be the same?

#7 ·
brand not origin ?

Was wondering if this poll was meant to sniff out preference in car brands, rather than origin of build. For instance, should Accords made in Kentucky be considered 'domestic made' rather than 'Japan made' because of the Honda nameplate. Similarly since the 'X is assembled in Canada, is that considered 'Domestic made' vs 'Japan made' ?

#8 ·
Re: brand not origin ?

socalJD said:
Was wondering if this poll was meant to sniff out preference in car brands, rather than origin of build. For instance, should Accords made in Kentucky be considered 'domestic made' rather than 'Japan made' because of the Honda nameplate. Similarly since the 'X is assembled in Canada, is that considered 'Domestic made' vs 'Japan made' ?
Yes I look at the point of origin where the car was assembled. That's makes a big difference in my opinion. Yes I consider the "X" domestic made even though some of the parts are from japan. For my concern the workers could be from japan and I would still consider it to be domestic. I prefer the auto's assembled and all parts from japan to be the best in quality. Yes accord's assembled here in the usa are domestic. I had a toyota camry in the past and know for a fact that mine was assembled oversea's by the vin number and those had less problems than the domestic ones made in this country. The quality control is much different oversea's!!!!
Don't get me wrong I don't hate american made cars, I feel they are getting much better but still have a little to learn about quality from the japanese car makers and even the german car makers. The japanese and german spend much more time on all the little details in quality that they address at the factory where the american car makers leave it to the dealer's to worry about!!
Just my 2 cents

#9 ·
Re: origin

paul123 said:
... The quality control is much different oversea's!!!!
There are some boards where I get killed for saying this, but---

Japanese plants do a helluva lot better job of training people to build the vehicles as designed!

Now, this doesn't mean that North American (I'm throwing Can, US & Mex together...) plants don't TRY to train the folks, and, in fact many, many of the assembly line workers do very good work but the Go-NoGo design engineering http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0915299313/ref=pd_sim_books/104-5040840-8911141 that is pretty much universal in Japan is NOT widely used in NA factories.

I think a large part of the reason for the lack of such engineering and methods has to do with cultural differences toward the KIND of respect that assembly workers are given in Japan vs NA and these kind of societal things also probably explain why the Japanese have an economic "money hoarding" problem while we have GIGANTIC deficeits...

That said, I think MORE of the Go-NoGo design philosophy pervades companies like Honda/Acura & Toyota/Lexus. COmpare HOW things like interior trim go together in an Acura or Lexus to a Caddy or Lincoln and it sticks out that the US designed cars have LOTS more seams & fastners -- all of which can get screwed up in assembly. If the parts won't go together wrong, the parts will ONLY be right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.