Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All:

Januray production can be placed by Dealers starting tomorrow and closing Tuesday, 11/19/2002 @ 5pm PST. The confirmed January orders will be sent to their respective dealers on Friday, 11/29/2002.

This means if you'd like a guarantee on January orders, they better be in by the end of the day next Tuesday.

There are some important resrictions in this January MDX order:
Touring with Navigation (all colors) constrained to 28% of dealer order.
Touring / Navi / RES (all colors) constrained to 18% of dealers order.

What this means is that only 28% or less of your dealer's order can be Touring/Navi and only 18% or less can be Touring / Navi / RES equipped.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Hi Jamie!

Are there any restrictions on Touring w/RES only (no navi)? The reason that I ask is that if there are restrictions on the other combos you mention and not on the Touring/RES, then there is a slight chance I could move up on the list at my dealer. According to the order list, I currently won't be in the January allocation :( but will make the February allocation :) . If enough of the people in the January allocation want (and are willing to wait for) the navi option, then, I could jump up.

I stopped by the dealership last night and chatted with them about this (it's great to have all this info and be an informed consumer! :D). The dealership I'm working with only gets about 15 MDXs/month so, there is limited movement but, I can dream can't I?

Thanks again Jamie!

P.S. Drove their 2003 Midnight Blue Pearl/Touring demo while I was there... :29:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RJMITCHE,

Your logic may be correct. Your Touring / RES is not on restriction. If your dealer has alot of Navi. order ahead of you, they mave have to move you up simply because less than half the MDX's they order will be able to be Navi's.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOXSTERX:

If it was indeed built on time on the 6th, it should ahve assigned on the 7th and shipped on the 8th. That would put it in L.A. about Monday-Wednesday next week.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Jamie

I want to order a SS/Ebony Touring with Nav to be delivered in mid to late February. Do I need to wait to order, and if so, when?

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FORMERJEEPER:

I'd suggest ordering a January production MDX. The problem with waiting for a Feb. produced vehicle is that there would be no guarantee on the exact production date until a later time. This means your MDX could wind up being built the last week of Feb and arrive in early March. Therefore, the safe bet is to get a Jan. order. Even if its built at the end of Jan. you'd have your new MDX by Mid-Feb.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So from what rjmitche says that the dealer gets around 15.
That makes it
Touring/NAV = 4.2 MDX's
Touring/NAV/RES = 2.7 MDX's
Other = 8.1 MDX's

So if the dealer said that it should come in December it may be delayed if 2 other people ordered the Touring/Nav/RES before me. Kindda sucks.

Thats why there are alot of base MDX's on the lots. Cuz they get 8 of them with no waiting lists.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jamie,

My dealer told me that the car takes about 4 days to complete and 10 days to ship so i wont be getting the car until 11/24/02. Do you see any MBP tour/nav coming to Cerritos Acura in California before 11/24/02? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I guess it would be even worse (from the "I want Navi" perspective) if the Touring/NAV/RES eat into the Touring/NAV numbers. So.... using the 15 example... it could mean that in totality there could be 4 MDXs with NAV, 2 of which could also have RES - leaving 11 that could be any combination of:

- Base
- Touring
- Touring w/RES

Jamie - can you clarify?

The bottom line for me is that if I haven't talked to my dealer by next Tuesday... my order won't be getting in the January allocation.

Still dreaming/hoping/crossing fingers/etc.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOXSTERS:

There is only one MBP Tour / Navi. scheduled for Cerritos. It should have been built 11/6 - 11/10, but is currently one of the vehicles delayed by 7-10 days. Your dealer was correct in giving you a delivery date for later in the Month. I'd estimate delivery around the 27th.

RJMITCHE:

There's not mixing of the orders...

MDX Unrestricted (0-100%)
MDX Touring Unrestricted (0-100%)
MDX Touring RES Unrestricted (0-100%)
MDX Touring Navi. Restricted (28% of total order or less)
MDX Touring Navi. RES Restricted (18% of total order or less)

In other words, for a dealer with an allocation of 20 MDX's:
A maximum of 6 can be ordered with Touring & Navigation
A maximum of 4 can be ordered with Touring / Navigation / RES
The remainder of their order can be any combination of Base MDX, Touring, & TOuring/RES that adds up to 10.

Hope that clears things up.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why the restrictions??

Jamie -

I am curious if you know why the restrictions on the navi models for January production? Do you see this continuing for future months.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BOXSTERS:

Cerritos Orders: Prodcution Dates:

Sandstone / SL 11/11 - 11/15
Nighthawk / EB 11/10 - 11/14
Havasau / EB 11/13 - 11/17
Nighthawk / SL 11/11 - 11/15
Sage / QZ 11/24 - 11/28
Satin Silver / EB 11/24 - 11/29
Taffeta / QZ 11/18 - 11/22

MDXOBX:

Restrictions for one particular month don't nexessarily mean that they will continue. Other models and color combinations of Acura's often have short term order limitations. Usually its because they would be inundated with orders for those vehicles otherwise and they may not be able to meet the demand for the orders they've accepted. Obvisouly its better to restrict the orders rather than take them and not be able to fill them.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Got the call!

Got the call from my dealer this morning. I made the January production order so, we confirmed trim and color and he'll be placing the order this week. He seems to be pretty forthcoming with information so, I'll be calling him about a Order Reference Number in a week or two.

I'm going by the information in this post regarding the timing of things. If I don't get 'full disclosure' from my dealer, I'll probably be asking for Jamie's help again.

:2:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
jamiestockman,

Why the Nav restriction? Is Acura having production problems? Or is this simply to make them "harder to get"?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SRPBEP:

There's simply more people ordering the Navigation system than Acura anticiapted. Rather than taking orders for something they may have trouble delivery, they simply restrict the total number available to order. It will take them a couple of months to get a grasp of the production volume for each trim line, then you probably won't see restrictions on Navigation Systems.

Jamie S.

·
Registered
470 Posts
jamiestockman said:
The confirmed January orders will be sent to their respective dealers on Friday, 11/29/2002.
Jamie - does this mean that dealers should now have Order Reference Numbers for the January orders?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Jamie,

I have a couple of questions. In early Sept I placed an order with my Acura dealer in San Diego for a Black/Ebony/Tour/Navi/RES. He told me it should be available sometimes in mid Dec or early Jan. Now he tells me he doesn't know when it's coming in, he doesn't have a build date and if one does come in, his manager would be the first one to purchase it, but when I placed the order in Sept he told me I was the first person on the wait list. Furthermore, he told me when the dealership places an order they really don't know what they're getting until they get a build date. Could you tell me if my particular model is coming, if this is the case it looks like my salesman is trying to get out of the deal that we agreed upon and is he really telling me the truth about the dealership not knowing what they're getting until they get the build dates? Thanks and sorry for such a long post.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rjmitche:

The order receipt just tells your dealer that they got what they asked for. The Order Reference Numbers will come out in the Middle of this Month. I'll put a post up to let people know.

acurasandiego:

Don't worry about the length, the details assist me alot.

1. The Nighthawk / Ebony 189 (Touring/Navi/RES) should be assigned & shipped within the next couple of days. It was scheduled to be built by 11/30, but cars in that range are updating late because of the Holiday. I would expect that MDX to be in San Diego around the 13th-15th.

2. Acura dealers know what their getting when they order it, except under extremely rare circumstances. Just as an example. I ordered January production MDX's a couple of weeks ago. When the order was placed, I knew I would receive what I'd requested because the order system will not permit you to order too many vehicles that might be restricted because of Navigation or color combination, etc. Once my order is sent and received by AHM (American Honda Motors), its just a matter of waiting a few weeks the the actual production dates within the order Month (in this case, January) to be available to me. Its no more complicated than that.

Please let me know if there's any other way I can be of help. There's definately something else afoot when it comes to the MDX you ordered...

Jamie S.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts