Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q: When jacking up the MDX from the front and rear, where are the best and safest points to position a professional floor jack stand?

Front: under the front tow bracket?
Rear: under the jack bracket behind the rear differential?

My intention is to use the best and safest front and rear central locations to lift the MDX so I can place jack stands on the sides adjacent to each wheel. Recommendations?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
EXCALIBUR said:
Q: When jacking up the MDX from the front and rear, where are the best and safest points to position a professional floor jack stand?

Front: under the front tow bracket?
Rear: under the jack bracket behind the rear differential?

My intention is to use the best and safest front and rear central locations to lift the MDX so I can place jack stands on the sides adjacent to each wheel. Recommendations?
There is a black steel projection hanging down by the rear differential, and a tow hook location at the front.
These are the factory recommended points for a floor jack per the service manual.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6408&highlight=jacking

·
Registered
880 Posts
Was heading to a local tire dealer to get some tires taken off some old rims, and heard a bang sound. I got to the dealer and the sound came from a 2-3" piece of iron which had punctured the new Michelon sidewall on the inside. So, I told them to take off the tire, and put on the spare until I could get a new Michelon Cross-Terrain to replace it (no one in our town stocks these sizes). They proceeded to jack up the rear left side only by putting the hand-hydraulic jack under the left-side spring suspension and raised the left rear and replaced the tire. I did not think much of this until I read some info in this forum and the owner's manual afterwards. Nowhere in the owners manual does it talk about jack points for the rear or front, but only on the sides when changing a tire. Could this jacking up the rear side suspension cause damage, or has anyone else encountered folks doing this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is there any safe way to jack up one side (both wheels off the ground simultaneously) using the hydraulic floor jack?

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JimH said:
Was heading to a local tire dealer to get some tires taken off some old rims, and heard a bang sound. I got to the dealer and the sound came from a 2-3" piece of iron which had punctured the new Michelon sidewall on the inside. So, I told them to take off the tire, and put on the spare until I could get a new Michelon Cross-Terrain to replace it (no one in our town stocks these sizes). They proceeded to jack up the rear left side only by putting the hand-hydraulic jack under the left-side spring suspension and raised the left rear and replaced the tire. I did not think much of this until I read some info in this forum and the owner's manual afterwards. Nowhere in the owners manual does it talk about jack points for the rear or front, but only on the sides when changing a tire. Could this jacking up the rear side suspension cause damage, or has anyone else encountered folks doing this?
I am not sure about using a floor jack under the left-side spring suspension. The safest thing is to use the front and rear jack points DaleB mentioned. I like to use a wood block where the floor jack contacts the jack points so as not too damage the metal.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sar10 said:
Is there any safe way to jack up one side (both wheels off the ground simultaneously) using the hydraulic floor jack?
What I like to do is use the floor jack on the front or rear jack points and completely lift the front or rear end my MDX off the ground. Then, I like to place jack stands on all four corners of the MDX. This makes tire rotation and getting under the MDX easier. Remember, use quality equipment and SAFETY FIRST.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. That rear jack point sure has a small surface area for a jack to put that much pressure on it. Using a block of wood is definitely a good idea. I definitely plan on getting a full-size spare in the future, as not impressed with that doughnut spare tire that is not even 17" (it is a 16" doughnut).
If one is a long ways from getting a tire (fixed or a new one if needed), it would be a long trip on that spare they provide.
I looked under the rear suspension afterwards to see if I could see any ill affects from jacking it up on the side, but could not tell if anything looked bad, and it seems to drive fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you identify front and rear jack points? I found the places to put the stands but was wondering how to jack it up to put stands at the specified places.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Jack Points

DaleB said:

There is a black steel projection hanging down by the rear differential, and a tow hook location at the front.
These are the factory recommended points for a floor jack per the service manual.
mdx_kid,

These are the jack points to use if you are using a floor jack. I like to place a small block of wood between the jack and the jack point for added safety.

If you are using the OEM jack, then please refer to page 318 of your Owners Manual. Step 12 has a detailed picture of the jack points along the underside of the body of your MDX.

Good luck.:29:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jacks

Thanks Excalibur!!:)

I am going to use the floor jack. I saw the black steel projection in the back but wasn't sure whether that was a good place to put the jack.
In the front I haven't figured out the location yet but that's the job for this weekend when I'm changing the VTM fluid for the my 24000km service. I hope if I follow the steps you listed in your post I won't have any problems. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it goes.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mdx_kid,

It is a good idea to use a floor jack for the work you will be doing. The black projection on the rear of the MDX is the correct jack point. The tow hook under the front is also the correct jack point. Not much surface area provided...that's why I recommend bracing your floor jack with a block of scrap wood when making contact with the jack points. Another tip, to make it easier to change the VTM-Fluid, drop your temporary or FS spare to get better access to the VTM bolts, and be sure to use a pump to deliver the VTM-Fluid. Good luck.:29:

·
Registered
19 Posts
VTM Fluid

:D :D

It was a piece of cake and with the FSS down it was really easy to access. The Acura people refused to acknowledge that a Pump exists for this job and told me that they also use after market fluid pump. But I got a simple differential fluid pump from local auto parts store and it worked fine. The color as Excalibur mentioned was not different than the fluid going in. It definitely took a bit more after I took it for a test ride. Last time at the dealership it never left the service bay.

So guys thanks very much for all the good tips. Next job is to do ATF change at my next oil change.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mdx_kid,

I am glad everything went well. The information provided on this forum is a big help and makes things go much easier when working on our MDX's. Strange you should mention that your Acura dealer denied knowing about a pump for the VTM-Fluid. As I understand it, a pump comes with every case of fluid that the dealer orders. My dealer actually stockpiles them...they sell for about $8.00. Like you, I do my own tire rotation, oil and VTM-Fluid changes. With the right "know how," tools and equipment, these jobs are a breeze and save quite a few dollars. :4:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay, so I've seen posts on where to jack the X, but I haven't bumped in to the exact location to put the jack stands. I'm changing the front brakes/rotors this weekend. Can anybody point me to a good location to put the jack stands?

·
Registered
768 Posts
arnel_lim said:
Okay, so I've seen posts on where to jack the X, but I haven't bumped in to the exact location to put the jack stands. I'm changing the front brakes/rotors this weekend. Can anybody point me to a good location to put the jack stands?
If you look under the car just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels you'll see a long metal tab about 4 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick sticking down from the frame at each corner. That's where the service department lift pads grab, and it's a great place for a jack stand since it's meant to hold the weight of the vehicle. Just put the jack right in the middle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pictures of front and rear jack points?

can someone post pix of the front and rear jack points when using a floor jack?
i'm more of a visual learner =D thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am also having a hard time locating the jack spot from the rare of my 2009 MDX. I thought I had it by jacking on that piece of steel tab (see PIC) hanging downward right passed the spare tire. As I lifting the car up, the piece of steel start bending, so I immediately lower and removed the jack to prevent further damages. Any more advice?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts