6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are already gossiping about a "juiced" ball:eek:

Rumors are for a high scoring affair:2:

·
Registered
763 Posts
God bless Football!!!

The greatest game in the World comes to its climax on Fri!!!

How do you like the "time difference"??? Games will start at 4:30 am :(:(:(

Any predictions?

I still think France is the team to beat. However, Argentina looks MARVELLOUS! Also, Germany, Brazil and Italy, although struggling in qualifications, are still the powerhouses which should elevate their games.

I do not expect any "major" surprises. I would prefer MY home team to be in Japan/Korea :(, but, in their absense I'll be rooting for European teams, France in particular.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Time Difference

Obviously will have to rely on video. The media (US Media - take it with a grain of salt:rolleyes: ) are predicting some upsets due to unprecidented parity this year.

I hope the US has a good showing; it would be good for the game here. I do not believe that they were the worst team at the games last time:eek: and I do not think they are this year either. Simply advancing to the next round would be a major feat:cool:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
FRANCE Lost

Holly cow!!! That is a surprise. Although it ain;t over unti it's over :), but this result is BAD!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps the media was right ...

... there may be more parity than in prior years:cool:

Should make for an exciting (if unpredictable) tournament.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yipee!!

I myself was pretty happy with the result:D Spent the first 11 years of my life in Brazil, so I've got my biases. Was very upset with the 98 final when France cremed Brazil. Was worried most if both France and Brazil won their brackets, since they'd meet up in the Quarters. But now France has an uphill battle, with good teams like Uruguay and Denmark.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
763 Posts
What an amazing result vs Portugal!!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
It's been an exciting world cup, and will continue to be so, with Senegal's upset, Korea, then the US today....

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea!

Wow 3-0 after 36 minutes. My son got up to watch the game (which he taped for me:D ), but I couldn't get up that early:rolleyes:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, France seems all but out. Only a miracle can help them get in.

A HUGE miracle!

There goes my $5 :(

I knew I should not count on those French, and I still did!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, who's gonna win it

msu79gt82 said:
The media (US Media - take it with a grain of salt:rolleyes: ) are predicting some upsets due to unprecidented parity this year.
Looks like neither France nor Argentina are going to advance into the second round:eek:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, France still has a chance.... On paper. :(

Argentina plays Sweden in the last game and, if they win, will qualify.

Without either of these 2 teams, final portion will be somewhat less entertaining.

I don't think this could happen due to some very weird seeding, but, IMO, semi-finals in which Brazil, Argentina, France and Italy meet (regardless of actual pairings) would be the best-of-the best!!!
Due to those seedings, the first 3 teams would have to play each other as early as 1/8- or 1/4-finals.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, but ...

... all both Sweden and England need are ties.

vip9 said:
Argentina plays Sweden in the last game and, if they win, will qualify.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Since I'm rooting for Brazil, it's ok with me for France and Argentina to be out:p

However, I think it will still be entertaining with Brazil, Italy, Spain, and maybe Germany or England.

England looked impressive, especially Michael Owen. Very different style of play than the kick-and-run style of 98.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
:2: I'm so happy they lost :2:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Now, it's Argentina! :(
This World Cup is quickly turning into The Best of the Worst tournament :(

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just proves those teams didn't deserve all the hype. You can't be too dissapointed with Brazil, Spain, and Germany still in it. They will put on a good show;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, although I am USUALLY a fan of German soccer, I do not think they "deserve" to win this year - after all they barely qualified for this tournament, and, aside from demolishing Saudi Arabia, did not show anything outstanding so far. Besides, after a "bloodbath" vs Cameroon, I am not even sure who will play for them in the next round. That Spanish referee is a known a**hole, but I think he had outdone even himself. Although, some of the cards were well-deserved, I must admit.

My 2nd favourites are usually Italy, and, after watching a superb game Italy-Croatia, I truly hope that Italy qualifies (together with Croats) at Mexico's expense. I just hope that referees do not f*ck it up for Italy again, as they did against Croatia.

My vision of the final has been Italy - France, then Italy - Argentina.
I am willing to settle for Italy - Brazil (with Europeans winning, sorry, MDXtrous)

Spanish have finally 'awakened' and I would like to see them go far, although I doubt they can go all the way.

With the way things look now, I would not be surprised if Japan plays South Korea for the Cup. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts