Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2002 black/saddle last week, and while inspecting it, found a chip in the rear side panel about 1/8" in diameter. Very small, but very annoying. They had be come back today to show it to the guy the dealership uses to do dent repair. He tried color sanding it and using touch up paint, but it's still visible. Then the manager tried the "You can barely see it!" technique on me, but I didn't bite. The general manager finally took a look and agreed that this was unacceptable. He told me to bring the car back to the body shop later this week for a couple days (they'll give me a loaner car) and they'll sand/repaint the area, and they've assured me it'll be blended and undetectable. So my question is, has anyone else had an experience like this? Are there other options I should know about? Do you think painting it will make it look worse, or will it really be undetectable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jon

BTW, I was the one worried that the MDX would be too wide -- so far no problems! Although I was in a minimall today, and I spent most of my lunch peering out the window to see who was parking next to me. Of course, the car already has its first chip, so maybe I should just relax. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I got my new MDX, it didnt have any paint chips, but there were two specs of something embeded into the paint. You can feel it if you rub your finger over it, and you can see it if you look right. In my case, since its not so noticeable, I figure its better to leave well enough alone, as the rework could potentially make things worse. If I had a chip, I would have had them do something about it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If it were mine ....

Misterjon ... I truely understand your "pain" but:

(1) If they haven't really messed it up with the sanding [sanding doesn't make a paint chip go away].

(2) If they did a good touch up job [note: dealer should have used professional paint chip repair person -- they exist!!]

You might want to leave it alone [nothing beats factory paint]. I know you know that the chip is there but .... A good test is:

Ask someone to find the chip. Only point them to the correct side of the vehicle. See how long it takes them to find it [if they even find it].

THEN make your decision!!

Just an opinion ... Steven

·
Registered
273 Posts
If were you, I'd have them dab some touch up paint on it and forget about it. I know that is not what you want to hear, but there is no substitute for a factory paint job.

If they repaint it, it will look fine for the first couple of years, but then you will notice the difference. (Most likely the finish will FEEL different.)

Besides, I bet that you will get a rock hit or two sometime in the next couple of years.

My .02 cents worth!

rflagg

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If it were me, I'd prefer it be fixed properly and restored to the condition it should be in @ delivery. Unfortunately, my experience tells me to do otherwise for "smaller" (no less annoying, but longterm forgotten) issues.

Like rflagg, I think I'd stick with the touchup route. I don't understand the difficulty the dent repair guy had. The black touchup paint is a good color match, and with the wetsand and buffing even you shouldn't be able to tell. My guess is he was lazy and didn't buff it out long enough, or with decreasing abrasives to bring back the shine/match. If the work really sucks, it's not difficult to start over. Get some Langka and rub the touchup outta the chip. Clean it w/isopropyl alcohol. Blob more touchup to your hearts content. Wait 2 days. Use the Langka to remove the excess. You'll end up with a dull looking repair -- almost like black clay. Break out the 3M and buff. Wax. Good as new.

I've fixed 2 rockchips and 2 dingers already w/touchup paint. You can only see the dingers because of the crease (I'm waiting to collect more before calling DentPro again - volume discount).

The repaint might be great, or it might not. Yea, you might get different fade characteristics, but like rflagg also mentioned it's more likely you'll get different tactile characteristics. If they're good, it'll be too smooth and it won't match the orange peel we know and love. If they're not good, it'll be rough and lack the shine of the original finish. So, what do you do - ask for mediocrity :confused:

I vote for touchup and asking the dealer for a free service - 7500 or 15000. Oh, and ask for a free bottle of touchup, and another $30 to buy the Langka and 3M SSR.

It's your 40 grand...do whatever'll make you happy. Just remember, none of these paint and sandpaper wielding characters cares as much about your car as you :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
What's i gonna cost the dealer to fix? Sand, paint, colormatch, clearcoat a door or quarter panel is like $800, right?

Once they've committed to fixing it, (and it sounds like they have) I'd ask them for free service in the tune of like $500-600. You could say, 'look, I've been thinking- I don't know if I should risk repainting the factory finish- I'd be willing to live with it if we could work out maintenance in leu of repainting the ___"

7500 plus 15000 is only a few oil changes and a VTM4 change. Worth $250-350. Go for service up to 45k, maybe settle for 30k.

If it were me? I don't think I'd be so reasonable...

Ard

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys must be psychic! There's something the manager said to me after the general manager told him to do whatever it took to fix my car. "Are you sure there isn't some accessory you'd rather have?" At the time, I was pissed and said I just wanted the car fixed. But now that I've cooled down and read all your responses, maybe I'll just have them touch it up better and buff it better, and then I'll go for extra accessories or free service (great idea, ardvarkus!)

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts