Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and my MID is showing CHECK STARTER SYSTEM when the car felt like struggling to start but it was eventually started after a few turns of the key. Now I am looking at the interstate battery. My current battery is Farm @ Fleet Platinum 24FP $99 and it is 2 years old.

The one sold at Firestone is MTP-24(CCA 750) $160 and at Costco is MT-24(CCA 700) $90.
Costco doesn’t carry MTP-24.

Now I have doubts it was the starter. I think the ECU detected that if the CCA is weak or below its defined limit the ECU will trigger the CHECK STARTER SYSTEM.

I just bought a starter from eBay and I guest I wouldn’t be installing it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you load check your battery for CCA? Any shop usually does it for free.
They did with their portable tester and passed while my engine was running. I don’t think it was the best and accurate way to test the battery because the battery had been charged by the time I drove the car over there.

I think my current battery is not providing enough CCA after sitting overnight under COLD weather

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to get the same problem resulting in the car eventually not starting about 20% of the time. It was a bad battery and auto zone swapped it for free because it turned out the battery manufacture was experimenting with less CCA for southern car (I am in Texas). New battery 6 months ago and it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to get the same problem resulting in the car eventually not starting about 20% of the time. It was a bad battery and auto zone swapped it for free because it turned out the battery manufacture was experimenting with less CCA for southern car (I am in Texas). New battery 6 months ago and it hasn't happened since.
Did you get that silenced sound when you turned the key and nothing happened and the CHECK STARTER SYSTEM came on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you get that silenced sound when you turned the key and nothing happened and the CHECK STARTER SYSTEM came on?

Yes. It was hesitating some for a few months and then eventually just stopped starting around 20% of the time without a jump from a good battery. After the swap it starts like a dream. Im not with the car right now or I would see how much CCA I have. Acura has been an electrical nightmare for the last 10-12 months so I bought a Lexus LS430 to daily drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Terminals? I went all.the way thru removal and bench tesying my starter, main + terminal fell off while i was fishing the good starter back into place. It wasn't factory, and i havent felt so dumb since i dropped a full pan full of warm tranny fluid on a Lt's khaki's as he was exiting his Triumph in the next bay at Nas Oceana's auto hobby shop.
And that felt pretty dumb. Strangely satisfying, but dumb.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Under this extreme cold weather it is impossible for me to check starter terminals. Replacing the battery is doable under this condition.

·
Registered
937 Posts
They did with their portable tester and passed while my engine was running.
Yeah, that's not how you properly load test a battery!

The CCA should be tested with the engine off. A good quality battery tester like Foxwell starts at about US $50: https://amzn.to/2OWmoe2. I got myself a much more expensive one, which is definitely an overkill for an average owner: https://amzn.to/2SvvNLL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, that's not how you properly load test a battery!

The CCA should be tested with the engine off. A good quality battery tester like Foxwell starts at about US $50: https://amzn.to/2OWmoe2. I got myself a much more expensive one, which is definitely an overkill for an average owner: https://amzn.to/2SvvNLL
thanks for that info. Im ordering that nice Foxwell since I've been in the market for one of these

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, it was a loose connection on the battery terminal, not at the post, but on the positive cable clamp

Cable to clamp connection.
Embarrassing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your F&F battery was produced by Johnson Controls. It is a quality battery but something could have failed in it. Have you taken it back to F&F to get checked? I have found they are very easy to work with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts