Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standing on the red light in our MDX. Heavy traffic. Suddenly, a loud bang from behind. I walk out from the X and see a Toyota Echo sandwitched between my X and a Van. Echo's front was literally underneath my X. The best part - my X had not even a scratch!!! Well, the best part was actually that my pregnant wife and my 2.5 year old daughter hardly felt anything. Another reason to keep driving those SUVs.

All is well that ends well. No one was hurt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All I can say is that your priorities are in the right place....that is with your pregnant wife and daughter.

In my line of work you realize how important health is...I'm glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Amen!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Good News

mdxxxx said:
I'm glad to hear everyone is ok.:4:
Ditto. Good to hear everyone, including the X, were unscathed. NO damage @ all? Not even to the lower bumper/muffler/spare?

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's incredible. Glad to hear no one got hurt. And no marks on your X? Wow!

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Good to hear nobody got hurt

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Daniel,

So glad there was no damage to your wife, your child, and you.

Please make sure you take a good long look underneath that rear end, e.g. the muffler, no buckling of that exhaust pipe, etc.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Glad everyone is ok, and as others have said, please do a through inspection underneath the back of the X to make sure none of the components are damaged.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ditto. glad u and family are ok, and make sure that the bumper is thoroughly checked out. I remember pat gass(on motorweek) had an segment about much damage a bumper can suffer internally even though it looks fine externally(after a fender bender).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Great to hear all is well. I almost had a similar incident yesterday. I was watching my rear view mirror as an Acura Legend disappeared because he was so close to my bumper. Maybe he just wanted to check out the MDX up close:rolleyes: Needless to say his eyes looked liked a little bigger after the close call.:eek:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Glad you and your family/family to be were unhurt. This reminds me of an article I read not long ago about crash safety testing and ratings. The bottom line is: Size still matters. Cars and trucks are tested against an immovable barrier. While that sounds formidable, it means that the amount of crash energy in the test is only that which you put into it. Thus, bigger cars like the X will put in more energy than an Echo. This also means that little cars never come up against more energy than they put into the test, either, so a 5 star rating on an Echo (I don't know what the rating really is, but assume this to make a point) vs. 5 star rating on an X (assumed rating) is meaningless in an Echo to X encounter. The X always wins. Think about that the next time someone decries you for driving an environment sucking SUV.:eek: That is not to say that SUVs don't have other problems like being more prone to loss of control and rollover than regular passenger cars, and poor braking distance (probably the worst fault of our Xs - has anyone upgraded their brakes?). But crash encounters with smaller vehicles isn't one of them.:4:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hey Admin, glad you and yours are OK!

Looks like you've chosen a pretty safe car...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Daniel, good to hear no one was injured and your MDX is OK.

Reminds me a little of 10 years ago just after I got my new GMC P/U. Had only 150 miles on it and was rear ended at a stop light by a 17 year old kid in a lowered Honda. Except for a little touch up paint on my tow hitch the truck was not damaged. The Honda needed over $2000 in repairs to get back on the road.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey Admin - glad to hear that everyone is OK. Can't be too careful with the little ones... especially those that are still in the oven! :)

Out of curiosity, what was the cause of the accident? Conditions (snow, ice, etc) or just carelessness on the part of the other driver? I won't go into my rant about rear-ending (I already did here) but, seems like more and more people have a story like this to tell. :rolleyes: Now that I have my X, I'm more cautious than ever as people roll up behind me when I'm stopped. :13:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Admin

I'm glad that you and your family are OK.

Do you have a hitch on your vehicle? If so just wandering if it helped prevent any visible damage to the rear of the X.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts