Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the trigger on a used 17 from a used car dealership. Upon initial inspection and test drive I did not see these problems. Of course they stand right out at me now that I'm home...

1. Moonroof/sunroof grinds when opening and closing. Also the moon roof almost got stuck open and wouldn't close when holding or pressing the close button... Kept getting stuck. I won't try opening all the way again for fear that it will never close... And there is two rather large dents on either sides of the sunroof. Almost as if it was banged on or attempted to fix by previous owner. The left side is also dipped lower than the drivers side so I'm hoping no water gets through.

2. The front windshield looks to be distorted from certain angles. Maybe bad glass? Is this known? The lower I sit in the seat the worse it appears to be.

The car is out of the basic warranty and only have the powertrain left.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Does the used car dealer offer any warranty at all, or a money back policy if returned within a few days and if not them does your state require them to?

Something's wrong in the sunroof since it's not normal for it to grind or almost get stuck.

A number of windshields can look distorted at certain angles if you try hard enough to find it. Usually your mind adjusts to it and you don't really notice unless specifically focused on it. It's possible the windshield is an aftermarket one - did you check for that? Windshields typically have the manufacturer mark on them on the side in a corner or thereabouts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes, windshield distortion is a known and common issue. The sunroof is out of alignment I assume. It can be fixed. Either take the car back and make the selling dealer fix it or take the car back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I pulled the trigger on a used 17 from a used car dealership. Upon initial inspection and test drive I did not see these problems. Of course they stand right out at me now that I'm home...

1. Moonroof/sunroof grinds when opening and closing. Also the moon roof almost got stuck open and wouldn't close when holding or pressing the close button... Kept getting stuck. I won't try opening all the way again for fear that it will never close... And there is two rather large dents on either sides of the sunroof. Almost as if it was banged on or attempted to fix by previous owner. The left side is also dipped lower than the drivers side so I'm hoping no water gets through.

2. The front windshield looks to be distorted from certain angles. Maybe bad glass? Is this known? The lower I sit in the seat the worse it appears to be.

The car is out of the basic warranty and only have the powertrain left.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do?
Go to Acura and buy an extended warranty. You can get 8 year unlimited mileage warranty, or a shorter plan. Then get the issues fixed.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Go to Acura and buy an extended warranty. You can get 8 year unlimited mileage warranty, or a shorter plan. Then get the issues fixed.
They probably aren’t going to sell an extended warranty to a car that is past the factory warranty without it being inspected. They weren’t born yesterday.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 2020 RDX has some distortion at the far left and right edges. None in you normal view, these are 1/2” from the edge on both sides. No an issue to me.

As far as the sunroof, hope you get it fixed. I have not even operated my sunroof as it is one option I seldom use. The most I do is open the cover and let the Sunday in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I called the guy today and explained the issues and asked if I could bring the car back... He said I could not return the car. We got into a discussion about lemon law and then I could feel the conversation going south from there. He said to bring the car by as he knows a body guy that could give us a quote to fix it - implying that I would be paying for it. He said he would "work" with me on it... I honestly don't trust the guy so I don't think I'll be going back there.

So my thoughts are to take it to an Acura dealership to have them do the 60k service on the vehicle and give the car a once over and get tier opinion on the health of the car.

I will also take the car to a local bodyshop to have them fix the dents and hopefuly fix the sunroof grinding issues If not take it to Acura to have them do this.

This will probably cost me a few grand if I had to guess, but it will be well worth it if I can sleep better at night...

Sucks.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
So I called the guy today and explained the issues and asked if I could bring the car back... He said I could not return the car. We got into a discussion about lemon law and then I could feel the conversation going south from there. He said to bring the car by as he knows a body guy that could give us a quote to fix it - implying that I would be paying for it. He said he would "work" with me on it... I honestly don't trust the guy so I don't think I'll be going back there.

So my thoughts are to take it to an Acura dealership to have them do the 60k service on the vehicle and give the car a once over and get tier opinion on the health of the car.

I will also take the car to a local bodyshop to have them fix the dents and hopefuly fix the sunroof grinding issues If not take it to Acura to have them do this.

This will probably cost me a few grand if I had to guess, but it will be well worth it if I can sleep better at night...

Sucks.
Always better to check these things out before you buy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to take it to my local Acura dealer to have them repair the moon roof and dents. I'm over it. Just sucks that this happened. A few thousand to repair most likely but money well spent if I can sleep better at night. I do love the vehicle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm going to take it to my local Acura dealer to have them repair the moon roof and dents. I'm over it. Just sucks that this happened. A few thousand to repair most likely but money well spent if I can sleep better at night. I do love the vehicle.
Hey Elkram,

Please let me know how much do they charge you for fixing the moonroof, mine does the same thing when it tiles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts