Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue that when I approach my 2014 MDX Tech that the doors will not unlock. The interior lights come on, so the car knows that key is in range, but the door handles and lift gate will not open. I had this problem shortly after I bought my car with the drivers side handle. The issue was resolved after they replaced my driver's door handle.

Now I have this issue intermittently with all my doors. Sometimes, I will walk up to the door handle or the lift gate it will unlock and open no problem. Other times, no matter which door I touch, it will not unlock (but the interior lights have come on, so the car knows I am there with my key). I just love having to open my luggage and dig out my car keys at night in the airport parking garage or wait for my cell phone to send the signal to tell my car to unlock.

I keep trying to snap video of it to show when I take it in for its next service. I had to do that with the first door handle issues, because they kept telling me it couldn't be replicated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine did this once, I had to hit the button on the handle to unlock it, just pulling would not work. But it knew I was there, the lights came on.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have an early (June 2013) 2014 MDX - it's never exhibited the problem you describe.

If you haven't done so already, try replacing the battery (CR2032) in the FOB (I posted a thread here on doing this). It's possible yours is emitting a weak signal that, depending on the position of it with various sensors, will sometimes be detected (ex: light comes on) and sometimes not. This is a simple thing to do.

It could also be related to where you have the key. For example, if it's in your purse but something else in your purse, something metal especially, may be impacting the signal from the FOB. When it happened to you how did you end up getting in the car? Did you take the FOB out and hold it in your hand and could then open it or did you actually have to use the metal key to physically unlock the door?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car us being dropped off today to look at doors, complete a recall and now the red LEDs surrounding my reverse lights no longer work.

I can hold the remote directly next to my door handle, interior light is on and it still will not unlock the door handle. I am forced to push the unlock button on my remote. I don't think it is an issue with the remote itself, because it works fine from far away. I test this regularly when my kids want things from the car at the little league field. I can unlock it from pretty far away by pushing the buttons on my remote.

It is almost as if the computer crashes or runs really slow when it gets the key approach signal from my remote.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Please let us know what the resolution to the door lock issue turns out to be because it may hit others of us at some point.

Note though that there's a difference when using the FOB to press a button to unlock versus using it in proximity to open a door by the handle without pressing a button. The latter is designed to work under only a low power close proximity mode and the former to work from a distance. This is why I said a low battery in the FOB could potentially still be related.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Doors don't unlock intermittently

I have experienced cases where the doors don't unlock. I've replaced the battery, taken the fob out of my purse but still won't unlock. Now, on a more and more frequent basis, the driver door unlocks but passenger door doesn't. Taking car to dealership this week where they will probably tell me again that they can't duplicate the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts