Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just cleaned the interior of our MDX and noticed these markings from the seat belt. Now I know I don't "SLAM" the belt into frame. I was rather suprised that the material was so "soft". Anyone else having this problem???

Regards,
paidtooMuch (but it's worth it!)

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
oh, yeah!!! many people have experienced that (including myself)... do a search in the forum and you'll find out plenty of discussions regarding that issue... someone had it replaced under warranty whereas others had been less lucky.... well, it's wear and tear, and when you mdx reaches 3-4 years old, you probably will care less for that.....:2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JJ.

I've been watching this site regularly for 10 months now and I've never seen the problem come up. I should have done the humble search before posting (like a great deal of people recommend).

Regards,
paidtoomuch (but it was worth it)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We've affectionately called the issue "pillar nicks"

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yes the infamous pillar nicks

This has been discussed in the past, but it has been a while. In fact this was a very early discussiojn prior to my "officially" joining and beginning posting.

Due to the value of this .org I knew about the problem and was able to avoid it. The key is to avoid the problem; we have a rule in our house - you must hold and guide the belt back into place. We do not push the button and let go. Push the release button and gently guide the belt back against the pillar.

I know this sounds like a pain but it becomes second nature after a while.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I noticed this too.
Another way to minimize that from happening is to trim off or flatten the sharp plastic edge on the back of the seatbelt. I believe that's what is causing all these tiny nicks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have exactly the same problem, it's where my 4 year old son was banging the seat belt buckle into the post. On a black interior it REALLY shows up badly. Haven't brought it to the dealer's attention, but I doubt they will do anything about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've only had my X for a little over a month now and I noticed several scratches in this area too... I honestly don't know where they're comming from because I know I don't slam my belt against anything.... I allways treat my X as if a "fresh paint" sign were in the window if you know what I mean.... :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Have one small scratch from the seat belt on my 10 day old MDX. Unlike the small scratch I put on the outside with the hose, I can't fix this one with Zaino.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Design Feature

This is simply another one of those design features that we are simply too stupid to appreciate. :3:

Still, it is a great vehicle. :D :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I brought the pillar nicks to the attention of my dealer on Wednesday, while I was picking up a part. He told me that there was no official fix, but that he was aware of it, and that I should remind him when I get closer to the end of the warranty. He will replace it for me.

In the meantime, has anyone tried putting some protective tape over the effected area? The area seems to be restricted to a small portion of the door frame. Maybe even a piece of the soft side of a velcro tape or some clear heavy tape?

·
Registered
8 Posts
One solution I found for the "pillar nicks" problem is to install "Seat Belt Shoulder Pads". They slow the retraction of the seatbelt,
plus cushion the impact of the seat buckle against the pillar. They also prevent the shoulder belt from rubbing against my neck.

I bought a pair, made of Sheepskin type material, at Pepboys for $4.00 each. The are made in a variety of materials and colors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts