Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my 2015 MDX w/tech package today from carvana. Beautiful car, only 31k miles. I drove it quite a bit and loved it...mostly. I immediately noticed the transmission feels weird, for lack of a better term.

If I mash the pedal down, it seems smooth and acceleration feels great. However, if I'm trying to just take it easy and get up to cruising speed at a slower rate, it feels weird.

Almost like it constantly wants to downshift but changes its mind immediately. Then, when I slow down it does seem to downshift and almost seems to lurch forward a little bit.

Is this normal for this vehicle? Did I getva dud? I'm used to driving a vw passat and my wifes lumbering Buick Enclave, so I expected it to be different. The MDX feels pretty sporty for such a large vehicle.

I guess I expected a smooth transmission being a luxury car and all.

Love everything else about it! With carvana I have the next 6 days to decide if I want to keep it or return for a full refund. Should I take it to a dealership mechanic this week? If so, what should I tell them to look at?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX with 6 speed tranny, gear shifting is smooth and no weird shifting at all. 2015 should be pretty much the same. Acura changed MDX's tranny starting 2016, check yours could be 2016 not 2015.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I couldn't buy a car without test driving it first.

I'd take it to a reputable mechanic and have a fully inspection done. I'd also check with Acura to see if there are any recalls/campaigns open that affect your VIN.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you haven't already done so, play around a bit with the driving settings of 'Sport', 'Normal', 'Comfort'. The settings affect the tranny shift points. I leave mine in Sport mode all the time since there's never a time I don't want more responsiveness.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The trans will adapt to your driving habits. Both the 2014 and 2015 have the six speed. It does try to keep the engine at the lowest RPM possible for better fuel economy. It also has a torque converter that locks and unlocks. You will feel that too. There is a tech bulletin for a software update, and trans fluid replace if the trans has "judder" in it. Make sure that TSB has been applied to your MDX.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can give you my thoughts since my wife also has an Enclave. The Enclave seems to have a very loose converter and mostly feels lazy but shifts very smoothly. The MDX in my opinion is much sportier in every drive mode. I can feel the shifts but it's not harsh. Downshifts are a little more noticeable especially in Sport mode.

I had mine checked for a vibration which I thought was related to the TSB mentioned above. What I felt was the variable cylinder management activating.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Do you have access to the service history? I would expect Carvana has the CARFAX which should have its service history and you can see what has been done.

Honda’s take some getting used to especially if you are coming from a VW and American. And the transmission is adaptable where it adapts to the driver habits so over time it will adapt to how you drive.

It’s always a good idea to have it checked out but if the transmission fluid change was not done now is a good time to do it. Personally I would do all fluids and filters anyway becasue you never know what people did or didn’t do even with service records.

Here are some videos to help you get started on your 2015.

Transmission Fluid Change: https://youtu.be/i2NG9UDOom4

Rear Differential:
https://youtu.be/dz64reYyb6Q

Oil Change: https://youtu.be/C-vwZGCBt-I

Battery Replacement: https://youtu.be/jBE5GKkdd8E

Rear Bulb: https://youtu.be/oypWT4V4T-A

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to the tech, it's normal. It's a small vibration for a second or two. It happens around 30-35 mph with a very light foot on the accelerator. I suspect I'm feeling it at that speed because of the slow speed. I don't really notice it once at highway speeds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trans will adapt to your driving habits. Both the 2014 and 2015 have the six speed. It does try to keep the engine at the lowest RPM possible for better fuel economy. It also has a torque converter that locks and unlocks. You will feel that too. There is a tech bulletin for a software update, and trans fluid replace if the trans has "judder" in it. Make sure that TSB has been applied to your MDX.
I think this "judder" is what's happening here. At light acceleration you can see the rpm gauge slightly fluttering. I read about it in another thread and it sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I love it otherwise and want to keep it. Just hoping it doesn't become a money pit of a vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i got a 2015 tech about 6weeks ago love it and shifts amazingly smooth in every gear, like some have said play with the different drive modes, I don't ever notice any hard shifting ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for everyone's advice! I had it at the Acura dealership today, they changed the transmission fluid and performed the software update. It drove like a brand new car on the way home! This is the experience I hoped to get when I bought it. I'll be holding on to it for good!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you for everyone's advice! I had it at the Acura dealership today, they changed the transmission fluid and performed the software update. It drove like a brand new car on the way home! This is the experience I hoped to get when I bought it. I'll be holding on to it for good!
Do run the car few on/off cycles, I have see the weird shifting may return after the ECU relearns.
It happened to me, it ran fine after receiving it from the dealer but within couple of days vibrations and weird shifting was back. VCM Muzzler fixed my problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please provide the tech bulletin (TSB) for the software update regarding transmission issues, my 2015 Adv seems to surge erratically when going up inclines/mountains, somewhat annoying but maybe can be fixed with the TSB.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
695 Posts
IS the 6 speed in the 14-15's the same as the 6 speed in the 10-13's?

I'm thinking it is, I have had no issues with my 11 and it's transmission...might be good to know when upgrade time comes...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Follow-up on the transmission issue post above, Acura dealer conducted the TSB 16-044 which included a ATF flush and our MDX drives like a different vehicle. No judder at lower speed, highly recommend this procedure for those experiencing a surge/judder in the transmission at lower speeds. One note, it seems MPG has dropped after this procedure, still worth it if this is a result, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced a decline in MPG (possible reduction by 2-3MPG) after this procedure, please advise.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
134 Posts
They also "reset" the transmission or so I was told when I had my service done. If transmissions do adapt to drivers, then it should go back to normal eventually. I noticed slightly higher shift points after my service but no noticeable drop off in MPG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts