Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to interpret the icon in the attached photo? I see it for about 1/10 second when leaving car wash mode (I got this photo by making a slomo video and then taking a screen capture) (ignore the Drupe notification!). I'd like to know because I feel like this may be the hidden key to getting into accessory mode without shutting off the car. On my '16 the standard method of pushing the start stop button while in D just shuts off the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Really, accessory mode while the car is running? Maybe I'm not understanding but when the car is already running all accessories are available. Accessory mode intended for use when the car is off and you want to sit in the car and listen to music or similar without starting the car. Accessory mode has conceptually been around for decades, remember when you used to turn the key to the first stop (or backwards one click for some) and the radio came on...viola, accessory mode! In this case just hit the start button without putting your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, accessory mode while the car is running? Maybe I'm not understanding but when the car is already running all accessories are available. Accessory mode intended for use when the car is off and you want to sit in the car and listen to music or similar without starting the car. Accessory mode has conceptually been around for decades, remember when you used to turn the key to the first stop (or backwards one click for some) and the radio came on...viola, accessory mode! In this case just hit the start button without putting your foot on the brake.
Yeah, I wasn't too clear in my post. I want to get to accessory mode from a running car. I have heard and tried your solution and it does not work in my 2016. Pushing the start button shuts off the entire car, foot on or off the brake. The exception is if the car is in N. Then, it will go to car wash mode. That is why it is weird to see this weird icon when putting the car in park after car wash mode. It is implying to me that there is a way to get my 2016 into accessory mode from car wash mode. I just don't know how to interpret the icon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Accessory mode is NOT accessible when the car is running...you need to think about it for a minute. If its running the accessories are already available. Accessory mode is not unlocking some magical state of the car. If the car is running and you hit the button, its doing exactly what its supposed to do which is shut off. The owners manual is a remarkable tool that contains all the details you need but like I said accessory mode is to turn on infotainment and similar from a car that is parked and NOT RUNNING. When your car is already off and parked, with the fob in your pocket and foot NOT on the brake, hit the start button and you will be in accessory mode.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Accessory mode is NOT accessible when the car is running...you need to think about it for a minute. If its running the accessories are already available. Accessory mode is not unlocking some magical state of the car. If the car is running and you hit the button, its doing exactly what its supposed to do which is shut off. The owners manual is a remarkable tool that contains all the details you need but like I said accessory mode is to turn on infotainment and similar from a car that is parked and NOT RUNNING. When your car is already off and parked, with the fob in your pocket and foot NOT on the brake, hit the start button and you will be in accessory mode.
Thanks for taking the time to tell me that I actually don't want what I say I want. :rolleyes:

For those times when I am finished with a drive, but not with a call, it would be nice to pull into my garage and turn off the car without having to make the choice between asphyxiation and ending the call. Most cars, including earlier MDXs, allow the driver to do just that. Maybe the '16 can do it as well, but it is definitely not in the manual.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
You're supposed to be able to continue the call by going into the car wash mode. It is our accessories mode coming from an engine on state until someone can find a way to get to the accessories mode the transmission has but we do not have access to after a drive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're supposed to be able to continue the call by going into the car wash mode. It is our accessories mode coming from an engine on state until someone can find a way to get to the accessories mode the transmission has but we do not have access to after a drive.

Maybe I am late to the party, but I figured out that you can go a step further:

Once in car wash mode, with the car still in neutral, take foot off of brake and push the start button. Dash lights will come on. Then you can put the car in park with the accessories remaining on.

I think this is what the icon I posted is trying to tell us, but it should alternate with the "put car in park" message that is displayed in car wash mode rather than appearing too late and too quickly.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Oh i see now. Yeah that wasn't apparent when i read your post lol.

Have you tried this with a phone call and music to see if it continues those?

I'll test this when i drive the mdx tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Does anyone know how to interpret the icon in the attached photo? I see it for about 1/10 second when leaving car wash mode (I got this photo by making a slomo video and then taking a screen capture) (ignore the Drupe notification!). I'd like to know because I feel like this may be the hidden key to getting into accessory mode without shutting off the car. On my '16 the standard method of pushing the start stop button while in D just shuts off the car.
If the car is running and you want to go into accessory mode, do the following:

1. Leave the car in drive.
2. Push on the brake.
3. Press the start/stop button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts