21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This is the napa part for 2011

I ordered NAPA #946140(front right) for $86 after 20% OFF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I checked. It's about $92 a few days ago. Now the 20% off is gone.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's a good video on the issue

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have not started yet. It is a slight leak. I want to watch it for a while to decide. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some torque specs. Lug nuts 94 ft lbs.

Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Font

Motor vehicle Line Font Auto part Parallel

If remove the caliper

Jaw Gesture Font Automotive exterior Slope

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The band cannot be tightened. And the space is very limited. I have to take the axle out to install a new band.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The band cannot be tightened. And the space is very limited. I have to take the axle out to install a new band.

The problem is the grease inside the boot become almost milkshake like as it ages over time, it’s doesn’t stay thick anymore and thus you have a seeping or slow leak grease at the band. Nothing wrong with the axle mechanically however the old grease need to be removed and replaced. Lot of work that’s why it’s better off to replace the whole axle when the boot broke. In you case you are fine driving like that. Just wait until you hear noise and then replace the whole axle assembly.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The problem is the grease inside the boot become almost milkshake like as it ages over time, it’s doesn’t stay thick anymore and thus you have a seeping or slow leak grease at the band. Nothing wrong with the axle mechanically however the old grease need to be removed and replaced. Lot of work that’s why it’s better off to replace the whole axle when the boot broke. In you case you are fine driving like that. Just wait until you hear noise and then replace the whole axle assembly.
This is a very good point. I just want to make sure. Have you ever actually compared new vs old grease used for inner CV joint? Or, have you ever actually compared the new inner CV joint grease provided by Honda in a reboot kit vs the old inner CV joint grease in an OEM CV axle?

I ask because someone told me before that the grease in inner joint is less thick than the grease used in outer joint to begin with, because the inner joint mostly move in and out and is subject to a lot less stress than the outer joint. That can explain the difference in thickness between inner and outer joint. But I have never heard that the inner joint grease can significantly changes its thickness over time/usage.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts