Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
You’re stuck with needing to weigh your specific needs. Also, while I expect OEM lasts longer, it’s hard to know what that difference is and if you’ll hit it in your ownership. (I’m planning another 100K so I suspect I would)

OEM is always a safe bet but rebuilding a CV is a messy affair for sure & not one I relish. If you’re not doing the work yourself, that will add on to the price as well.

Aftermarket CVs are usually readily available with lifetime warranties. If you do the work yourself, this makes this a cost effective solution. If you don’t, the labor costs could add up over time. Even if you do it yourself, it could get old.

(Auto parts stores are generally very good at honoring their lifetime warranties. I know guys who have their trucks lifted too high & grind through a CV a year - they tell me they never have a problem getting it replaced. For what it’s worth, I don’t advocate their approach)

(In my offroad trucks it turns out Nissan’s CV has a greater range of motion & is preferable for that reason; however, I doubt any of us truly offroad in our MDX’s to the extent that such an issue would matter & I don’t even know if that is true for these CVs. Plus that’s usually the result of a spacer lift that changes suspension geometry - generally not something we would do - though I have seen it in suspension lifts as well - again, I don’t personally know of a lifted MDX)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do not use any aftermarket (that includes Napa) axles for the MDX if you want them to last.

Do the rebuild yourself using the kit from Acura instead if needed.
Ugh, my driver side CV has occasionally made noises when accelerating rapidly at a severe angle-like leaving our subdivision onto a 45+mph road. I haven’t really wanted to look as it’s not common except at extreme angles but I bet I’ll need to do both between 150-250K. After your strut assembly procurement issue, you’re making me wonder if I need to get these boot kits now? (I’m mad at myself for putting off doing the front struts when ai thought about it 2-3 years ago - I should have bit the bullet & just bought the preassembled OEM). Please make a video if you replace/rebuild your CVs again (love starting my project by reviewing your videos first)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts