Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was looking for 2019 Lexus RX 450H (no 3rd row seat) that's going for about 45.9K (Out the door cash)
I checked Acura and a dealer is offering 19 Sport Hybrid MDX Tech for 45.6K (Out the door, cash)

MDX looks like a great deal and I have been MDX fan since 2003.

I am in a rush to make the decision so I will appreciate feedback on anything for MDX hybrid and pricing.

Thanks,
Robert
PS: I had to create a new account otherwise I am a regular here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The MDX will have a more sporty ride. The Lexus according to what I have read is kind of sloppy and BORING. The MDX will get you apple car play and android play if thats your thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That’s a great deal! I’ve just recently traded in my 2014 MDX for a 2020 hybrid w/ tech like you’re looking at. I’m extremely happy with hybrid. I was also looking at the RX350 but didn’t like the ride and handling when compared with the MDX. I also wanted CarPlay which is not being offered on the RX until the new 2020’s come out.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Love t
Hi,
I was looking for 2019 Lexus RX 450H (no 3rd row seat) that's going for about 45.9K (Out the door cash)
I checked Acura and a dealer is offering 19 Sport Hybrid MDX Tech for 45.6K (Out the door, cash)

MDX looks like a great deal and I have been MDX fan since 2003.

I am in a rush to make the decision so I will appreciate feedback on anything for MDX hybrid and pricing.

Thanks,
Robert
PS: I had to create a new account otherwise I am a regular here.
Love the hybrid. Hate the Nav system. No CarPlay in mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys but this was bait and switch...
I did test drive and liked it.
I was ready to put down the money and he pulled that the 45.6K is only with Acura Finance. They never mentioned that before and wasted my 2 hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys but this was bait and switch...
I did test drive and liked it.
I was ready to put down the money and he pulled that the 45.6K is only with Acura Finance. They never mentioned that before and wasted my 2 hours.
Couldn’t you have simply jumped through those hoops, then paid off the balance the following month(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Couldn’t you have simply jumped through those hoops, then paid off the balance the following month(?)

Or what was the interest rate? I’ve never heard of a car loan that you couldn’t prepay. At least from a reputable lender. Even if the interest rate was high,you could have paid it off in a month. Doesn’t sound like a good reason to stop the deal? Unless you are someone who doesn’t want to reveal your source of income. Or you have no credit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was put off by them adding 4K to quoted price if I didn't want financing.
Lexus is offering $2250 for their 2019 model if you DO NOT use their financing...
Why is Acura asking more for going cash? Or most likely it's the dealer who wants high interest rate? (I didn't even bother to ask the rate).

Also guy mentioned I could pre-pay after paying few months of interest and fees (not prepayment fees).
I have credit of 800+ but I buy cars for cash, I don't want to deal with gimmicks they play with financing (Nor do I like to pay interest to the bank :))

3rd row is not important for me and I was interested in hybrid but I could not tow. Given that Lexus 450H might serve me better (it can tow) but I will only know after a test drive.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Car loans have the Rule of 78 where you still get hit with some pretty good interest even paying off early and short term.
I pay cash for my cars but once the dealer insisted on filling out the loan papers to supposedly 'protect them' in the event the check didn't go through so I went ahead and did it. The check went through, of course, and the loan never took and there was no interest or any other fee that had to be paid - i.e. it was the cash deal. Some other dealers, including Acura, just took my check with no problem and no need to jump through the hoops. Anymore I'll just refuse the hoops - they take my check or I'll just go elsewhere.

I was put off by them adding 4K to quoted price if I didn't want financing.
Yes - bait and switch, or at least not being up front and straightforward with you. If I was you I'd consider escalating this to the general manager of that dealership and if that doesn't fly, then contacting Acura customer relations about the shady practice (and one salespeople probably pull all the time). If you really like the vehicle then check with other Acura dealerships as well - they all have MDXs and can get specific ones they might not have on hand at the moment. It's best not to be in too big of a hurry when making a $50K transaction.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I pay cash for my cars but once the dealer insisted on filling out the loan papers to supposedly 'protect them' in the event the check didn't go through so I went ahead and did it. The check went through, of course, and the loan never took and there was no interest or any other fee that had to be paid - i.e. it was the cash deal. Some other dealers, including Acura, just took my check with no problem and no need to jump through the hoops. Anymore I'll just refuse the hoops - they take my check or I'll just go elsewhere.

Yes - bait and switch, or at least not being up front and straightforward with you. If I was you I'd consider escalating this to the general manager of that dealership and if that doesn't fly, then contacting Acura customer relations about the shady practice (and one salespeople probably pull all the time). If you really like the vehicle then check with other Acura dealerships as well - they all have MDXs and can get specific ones they might not have on hand at the moment. It's best not to be in too big of a hurry when making a $50K transaction.
Sales guy emailed me their vehicle page for the car I drove. I replied to him with snapshot of quote I was given and told him they wasted my time in the middle of the work day. Honestly MDX Hybrid was not on my list because I am ok with 5 seats and prefer towing. As evident from my postings in this board, I do like my 03 MDX very much so I figured to check what pricing was there for MDX if I gave up towing and little MPG. To my surprise lady from this dealership called me this morning with the pricing that was comparable to Lexus so I said why not check it out.
If they do offer me cash deal without jumping through the hoops of financing, I still may consider it (I doubt they will offer, it means below invoice price) because I liked the drive. I did do more research and realized that invoice for MDX hybrid tech is about 49K so original quote of 45.6K was indeed a great price... But now I know :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If that is their practice,I have no doubt the GM is aware of it. You can talk to the GM. But he/she already knows. You’ve seen the ads. Dealer sets prices.
Personally,I think OP pulled out too soon. I would have gotten more information first.
We won’t even get into the economics of cash vs. financing..

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sales guy emailed me their vehicle page for the car I drove. I replied to him with snapshot of quote I was given and told him they wasted my time in the middle of the work day. Honestly MDX Hybrid was not on my list because I am ok with 5 seats and prefer towing. As evident from my postings in this board, I do like my 03 MDX very much so I figured to check what pricing was there for MDX if I gave up towing and little MPG. To my surprise lady from this dealership called me this morning with the pricing that was comparable to Lexus so I said why not check it out.
If they do offer me cash deal without jumping through the hoops of financing, I still may consider it (I doubt they will offer, it means below invoice price) because I liked the drive. I did do more research and realized that invoice for MDX hybrid tech is about 49K so original quote of 45.6K was indeed a great price... But now I know :)

View attachment 113472
$595 doc fee is BS.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GM reached out apologized for not disclosing finance clause earlier.
He explained that I could do finance and after 90 days I can pre-pay. (But why? Take the cash and call it a day :))

Some other Acura dealers sent quote that clearly marked finance deal only etc.
So it is Acura that's setting the practice of discounts only if you do finance with them.
That's too bad because it complicates the deal for me and costs me more.

I am not in a hurry so checking out Lexus first...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
GM reached out apologized for not disclosing finance clause earlier.
He explained that I could do finance and after 90 days I can pre-pay. (But why? Take the cash and call it a day :))

Some other Acura dealers sent quote that clearly marked finance deal only etc.
So it is Acura that's setting the practice of discounts only if you do finance with them.
That's too bad because it complicates the deal for me and costs me more.

I am not in a hurry so checking out Lexus first...
“I am in a rush to make the decision so I will appreciate feedback on anything for MDX hybrid and pricing.”
So are you in a hurry or aren’t you?
I don’t necessarily think financing is a bad idea. Rejecting it off hand doesn’t make sense to me. If they are offering a substantial discount. $4000. Paying a couple hundred dollars in interest may still make sense. That’s just my opinion. Of course,my wife always fills out the applications.

·
Registered
2 Posts
“I am in a rush to make the decision so I will appreciate feedback on anything for MDX hybrid and pricing.”
I don’t necessarily think financing is a bad idea. Rejecting it off hand doesn’t make sense to me. If they are offering a substantial discount. $4000. Paying a couple hundred dollars in interest may still make sense. That’s just my opinion. Of course,my wife always fills out the applications.
Exactly. Why not use the method of payment that nets you the best price- especially if you already have the ability to pay cash?

·
Registered
66 Posts
"I am in a rush" comment was before I went to Acura dealer because for cash price that looked like a good deal and I would have bought it on the spot...
Otherwise I don't need the car right away unless there is a great deal.

You're right that doing financing for few months is worth to get larger discounts.
I ran the numbers and it looks like $7200 off MSRP. Plus interest for 3 months.
I will see how Lexus drive goes...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I test drove Lexus and no comparison to MDX Hybrid sport for performance (MDX Hybrid wins hands down).
However Lexus is quieter and similar to regular MDX performance I am used to.
I did get financing details and he said I would have to finance only 10K to qualify for rebates.
That I don't mind.
One major hitch (pun intended) is I can't tow with MDX Hybrid and we are having a hard time getting over that.
I may take wife today to test drive MDX again...
For now search continues...

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
One major hitch (pun intended) is I can't tow with MDX Hybrid and we are having a hard time getting over that.
If you really need to tow with this vehicle you'll buy then it seems that it'd be a basic requirement and the hybrid MDX would be crossed off the list. It depends on what you'd tow and how frequently. For example, if you have a boat or camper that you'd be towing every few weeks then forget about the hybrid MDX but if you really just want to tow a utility trailer to the dump a couple times a year then just rent a truck for it (Home Depot rents them cheaply) and the hybrid MDX is back on the table for consideration.

While I only pay cash for my cars and don't try to leverage car loans as an investment tool, I would look at the whole package deal and if they 'truly' would only give the better deal if they provide some kind of loan I'd evaluate the terms and early payoff, etc. to see if it's truly better than cash overall but I'd also try harder to talk them into the cash up front deal and by 'them' I'm talking any Acura dealer within a reasonable driving distance.

Keep in mind they're only offering this with the loan because they think they'll get more money out of you that way and they're likely correct - many people, including many who planned to pay it off early, will just go ahead and stick with the loan terms and pay that monthly payment for years and Acura will end up with more money due to the interest charges. There's a bit of psychology at play here.

Moreover, after looking at the ad you posted, it truly looks like a bait and switch and deceptive advertising which state governments don't usually take kindly to with car dealerships. I think that could be pushed more to have them take the cash deal. Maybe consult with your state's DMV or whatever agency licenses car dealers about this deceptive ad. I once had a car dealer pull a bait and switch on me but I warned the salesperson I was going to fully pursue this through the state DMV and other agencies as well as the media if they don't stick with their advertised deal and they caved and sold it to me at the advertised price which I paid in cash. There's a difference in misleading versus a mistake, like a dropped couple of zeros in the price. The former is generally not legal and the latter is just a mistake they wouldn't be obliged to. Your example is the former.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
11 Participants
elvisfan
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing