Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
How much oil do you need to add per 1000 miles? I use this iPhone app called Road Trip to keep track of my expenses, maint, road trips, statistics, and fuel stops. It is linked to my Dropbox account and sync'd to the wife's iphone and iPad mini. There is an options for setting up repeat events after X amount of time and/or Y amount of mileage. Just just have to keep track of your gas stops (Odo reading, gas price, gallons, etc...) and your iPhone will alert you when you reach +1000 miles to trigger the alert.

I use Road Trip to input all maint for all three of my vehicles because I have a hard time remember when and what was done after 400,000 miles of combine mileage.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I use the bottom one with the red ICON "Road Trip MPG" (It's just called Road Trip on my iPhone?). I've been using the same app since 2012 when it first came out. I can't remember if there is a free version you can try before purchasing the full version. I'm not 100% sure if must have the Dropbox account or you can just use you smartphone to store data if you are the only user. Dropbox account would be for sharing/updating date between devices.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If only vehicles came with some odometer-like function. Maybe a trip computer that could be easily reset? It would be awesome if they even included more than one trip counter... Like an A and B so I could track my miles-per-tank and also miles-per-trip or miles-since-oil-topped-off.

One day we will live this dream.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If only vehicles came with some odometer-like function. Maybe a trip computer that could be easily reset? It would be awesome if they even included more than one trip counter... Like an A and B so I could track my miles-per-tank and also miles-per-trip or miles-since-oil-topped-off.

One day we will live this dream.
They do, The Latest Mustang has the option to set such a reminder at a custom interval.

In some Kia cars you can manually setup service intervals.

Trust Honda/Acura to skip on any user friendly features.

EDIT - Hold on We do have Trip A and Trip B in the MDX. Trip A can be set to automatically reset on refueling.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They do, The Latest Mustang has the option to set such a reminder at a custom interval.

In some Kia cars you can manually setup service intervals.

Trust Honda/Acura to skip on any user friendly features.

EDIT - Hold on We do have Trip A and Trip B in the MDX. Trip A can be set to automatically reset on refueling.
It was sarcasm... I know that's sometimes hard to detect online.

I KNOW that Acura includes this function. I bet EVERY vehicle sold in the last several decades includes this function. My motorcycles even have this function.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It was sarcasm... I know that's sometimes hard to detect online.

I KNOW that Acura includes this function. I bet EVERY vehicle sold in the last several decades includes this function. My motorcycles even have this function.
Haha my bad. Yeah the trip meters have been there for decades.

But some of the cars currently on sale do provide an option to set up service reminders.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Haha my bad. Yeah the trip meters have been there for decades.

But some of the cars currently on sale do provide an option to set up service reminders.
Yes, I've owned a few Nissan products that have that feature -- although it isn't actually a reminder to check the oil level, but rather a reminder to CHANGE the oil; It's in leu of a smarter maintenance minder. The Honda/Acura MID is superior, for that purpose.

You could intentionally mis-use the interval setting, on vehicles equipped with it... But it would be a mis-use, and you'd lose the intended purpose, as you'd now have to manually track when to actually change the oil. Before someone says "well, but, you could use a sticker or count the number of times you were told to check the oil..." Sure... You could... But OP has said that is already too complicated for him.

The trip computer serves the purpose, quite well. And you don't lose any other functionality while using it. I bet 90% of people don't even use trip B, regularly. I only use it if I'm taking a long (multi-tank) trip and I want to track the total trip mileage on B, while A is reset every time I get fuel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Honda/Acura MID is superior, for that purpose.

You could intentionally mis-use the interval setting, on vehicles equipped with it... But it would be a mis-use, and you'd lose the intended purpose, as you'd now have to manually track when to actually change the oil. Before someone says "well, but, you could use a sticker or count the number of times you were told to check the oil..." Sure... You could... But OP has said that is already too complicated for him.
On second thoughts i agree, Honda kind of system is best for non DIYers which is most of their target buyers. On My Mustang I was initially clueless as to how it helps as I could potentially set a higher mileage for changing oils that needed.

The trip computer serves the purpose, quite well. And you don't lose any other functionality while using it. I bet 90% of people don't even use trip B, regularly. I only use it if I'm taking a long (multi-tank) trip and I want to track the total trip mileage on B, while A is reset every time I get fuel.
Yeah, I use it for long trips too., other than that not much use for Trip B.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Road Trip app might be overkill if you just want to do just one thing only.

I've tried to use the B trip counter and I usually forget to reset before starting out or forget check along the way. I like the smartphone app because I do some of my own maintenance myself, with other shops, and extra stuff and the app helps keep it all straight. At my age of +50, I never forget, I just have a hard time remembering.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
How about every time your odometer ends in 000, check the oil? Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How about every time your odometer ends in 000, check the oil? Easy peasy.
Or once a week, aligned with when you do something else... Like take out your garbage cans.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
May be a dumb question, but why would you add oil at all between oil changes?
Several years of the gen2 mdx burn oil... up to 1L per 1k miles. If you didn’t add oil between oil changes, they’d run out of oil.

2011BlackUbmMDX, specifically, has suffered engine damage, first hand (pitted/trashed camshaft).

Even if you don’t burn oil, everyone should be checking their oil level regularly. I check mine every couple weeks. Never have to add any, thankfully.

Reactions: ConnorTX
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.