Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't believe Acura overlooked something like this. Cars half the price of the MDX have this simple feature, why doesn't the MDX have something as basic as this?

Is there some sort of chip swap that can be done to change it?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
doggiedog said:
I still can't believe Acura overlooked something like this. Cars half the price of the MDX have this simple feature, why doesn't the MDX have something as basic as this?

Is there some sort of chip swap that can be done to change it?
A relay is latched to keep the motor on the driver's window engaged. It would not be a 'simple' wiring change to do it to all windows, you would have to duplicate the same hardware (additional wiring, relay and switch) into all doors. The driver's window switch is part of an assembly that includes switches for all the other windows as well as the additional relay circuit. I dont think you can get those addtional components by themselves.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
1. The driver's door window switch has 4 positions -- up, off, down, and auto down. The other switches only have 3.

2. The driver's door window motor has an extra switch in it called a pulser, which sends a pulsing ground signal to the door multiplex unit; when the Auto Down function is selected, the motor power turns off when the pulsing ground signals stop.

3. It would be a LOT of work to make a conversion.

I consider automatic windows to be just another thing to go wrong; I don't really have any difficulty holding a switch long enough to position a window where I want it! :2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is, the only real times I open the window are when paying tolls and having to futz around with change and my huge wallet while driving away and holding the button down is something I never had to think about until I got my MDX.

My other cars (BMW 325i and Lexus GS300) had auto up and down standard. You'd think Acura would supply something as basic as that in a luxury vehicle or at least make it an option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
frostyra said:

I consider automatic windows to be just another thing to go wrong; I don't really have any difficulty holding a switch long enough to position a window where I want it! :2:
Well golly gee Gomer, aren't you the philosopher.

·
Registered
24 Posts
frostyra said:
sour grapes :2:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
doggiedog said:
... having to futz around with change and my huge wallet while driving away and holding the button down is something I never had to think about until I got my MDX.
I think I've found the problem. You should be pulling the switch UP to close the window. You can always send the contents of that fat wallet to any of us, if that helps any :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheWorm said:

I think I've found the problem. You should be pulling the switch UP to close the window. You can always send the contents of that fat wallet to any of us, if that helps any :D
Jeez is that what I've been doing wrong this whole time? Maybe I oughta hire you to be my automatic window opener? I think I have a little room under the dash where the dead pedal is supposed to be. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
And there is always the hammer solution to quickly open a window..:19:...but then, closing it is not obvious. Oh well.:27:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheWorm said:

Sure if you'd like scraps of paper with phone numbers on them, business cards, lotto tickets and baby pictures :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
doggiedog said:
...Maybe I oughta hire you to be my automatic window opener? I think I have a little room under the dash where the dead pedal is supposed to be. ;)
Might I suggest a mirror mounted on the headrest that would enable me to see the speedometer? That way, when you hit, say, 15mph, I could automatically lock the doors, too :)

On a more serious note, have you done a search for "auto windows" yet? Can't some aftermarket alarm systems do that? You might check the CL and TL boards, too, for that mod.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Automatic windows

YES this can be easily done, but not without some expense.

My "X" is equiped with an aftermarket remote lock and auto start system. Since I had to give up the OEM remote to use the remote start, I added the window roll up modules which close all the windows when I lock the doors remotely. I can vent and open them remotely as well. The window modules add a one touch up AND down feature where you just tap EACH button (up or down) and away they go!

I would put this feature on any car I own and it does not interfere with any factory workings. The product is made by DEI (Directed Electronis Inc.)

http://www.directed.com/security/access/oaccess.asp

·
Registered
20 Posts
taschroth, what a good idea. How much?

Would you mind telling us what the total cost of your setup? Since I'm going to get an ebony interior, being able to remotely vent the windows would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That was 18 months ago and I really don't know. I would venture a guess off $500 - $800 installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts