Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Big issue is most carplay type add-ons need a screen so either you would need a whole new radio setup or you would need to upgrade to the navi version and then use a GROM VLINE2 unit.

My 2007 does not support the VLINE so I use the isimple adapter to plug my iphone into the car. Can fast-forward and rewind though radio controls and see song information on the XM screen.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big issue is most carplay type add-ons need a screen so either you would need a whole new radio setup or you would need to upgrade to the navi version and then use a GROM VLINE2 unit.

My 2007 does not support the VLINE so I use the isimple adapter to plug my iphone into the car. Can fast-forward and rewind though radio controls and see song information on the XM screen.
Could I buy the parts for the navi version and upgrade it myself?

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Could I buy the parts for the navi version and upgrade it myself?
You could; but, it would be very expensive. You would need to upgrade to the hard-drive based 10-13 MDX tech or Adv navi model and still have to add NavTool or Grom on top of that. I'm not sure you could do that for anything less than $1500 not counting time/labor with used parts?

• install navi screen
  • new center stack with navi functions
  • new wiring harness
  • bluetooth audio streaming
  • new radio/navi codes
  • loading software/firmware for navi, phone, bluetooth audio streaming, address book, voice commands, etc...

Almost easier to trade for a 2nd gen tech model; but, you will still have the oil consumption issue and normal high mileage wear/tear stuff to worry about. The +2014 3rd Gen MDX in fwd or sh-awd is an improvement in almost every area over the 2nd Gen MDX. There should be way more tech or Adv 14-17 models to pick from that you can add carplay (carplay standard on +18 MDXs).

Reactions: teknocrat

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could; but, it would be very expensive. You would need to upgrade to the hard-drive based 10-13 MDX tech or Adv navi model and still have to add NavTool or Grom on top of that. I'm not sure you could do that for anything less than $1500 not counting time/labor with used parts?

• install navi screen
  • new center stack with navi functions
  • new wiring harness
  • bluetooth audio streaming
  • new radio/navi codes
  • loading software/firmware for navi, phone, bluetooth audio streaming, address book, voice commands, etc...

Almost easier to trade for a 2nd gen tech model; but, you will still have the oil consumption issue and normal high mileage wear/tear stuff to worry about. The +2014 3rd Gen MDX in fwd or sh-awd is an improvement in almost every area over the 2nd Gen MDX. There should be way more tech or Adv 14-17 models to pick from that you can add carplay (carplay standard on +18 MDXs).
Ok. If I wanted to add CarPlay to this car, what would you recommend I do?

· Registered
5,061 Posts
Ok. If I wanted to add CarPlay to this car, what would you recommend I do?
I'll say add carplay; but, be prepared to spend A LOT of money.

· Registered
1,637 Posts
You'll need to replace the radio with aftermarket unit that has carplay in it, and buy adapters to make sure steering wheel controls work. Upside is you'll also get a new hands free bluetooth system as well with carplay so you don't have to worry about HFL.

· Registered
479 Posts
Is there a way to replace the components circled in red with an aftermarket system running CarPlay? All help is appreciated! View attachment 121537
Yes, restively easy and under $1k. I’ve seen pictures online of this vintage; on 2007-2013 non-nav models, they replace the radio and lower storage compartment with a new screen and trim bezel.

I had a similar upgrade performed on my prior 2006, CarPlay/radio screen replaced the existing Acura radio. Came out to $600 or $700-ish including install and labor.

I’m sure I could have shopped around, but I went with Best Buy to source and install.

· Registered
2005 Acura MDX Touring
41 Posts
Check out AliExpress. I think one of these will work for you?

US $528.00 40% Off | 12.3INCH Android Car Radio For Honda Acura MDX 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Auto Stereo Multimedia Player GPS Navi

US $311.60 18% Off | Hengcheng For Acura MDX 2007-2013 Car Multimedia Video Player GPS Navigation Radio Android 8Core 6+128G Carplay

· Registered
2013 MDX
53 Posts
Check out AliExpress. I think one of these will work for you?

US $528.00 40% Off | 12.3INCH Android Car Radio For Honda Acura MDX 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Auto Stereo Multimedia Player GPS Navi

US $311.60 18% Off | Hengcheng For Acura MDX 2007-2013 Car Multimedia Video Player GPS Navigation Radio Android 8Core 6+128G Carplay
THE PROBLEM IS ON DECIDING BETWEEN THE NEW RECTANGULAR OVER SEAS UNIT OR THE INTERFACE UNIT. 😅 :rolleyes:

· Registered
208 Posts
Chris, check out this thread!

· Registered
2013 MDX
53 Posts
This headunit uses the MDX amp & can play dvds, cds, divx formats…i wired it to the aftermarket backup cam as well..
IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S WORKING OK (y) I SOLD A AVH-SERIES AND DIDN'T INSTALL IT FOR THE REASON OF THE ESTETICS AND HOW I WOULD HAVE TO LOOK DOWN UPON THE MODEL FOR NAVI OR RECREATIONAL MUSIC VIDEOS AND DECIDED NOT TO GO THIS WAY, BUT IT SEEMS ALL IS GOING WELL WITH YOUR INSTALL!

· Registered
208 Posts
Just throwing it out there… you can also use the center vents (from MDX with Nav) with a custom enclosure to house an appropriately sized screen, while using the center speaker bezel and connect that to the video outputs of the Pioneer Headunit.

So essentially, you will have a similar looking NAV screen but will be getting video from the head unit…Just an idea…

Attachments

· Registered
2013 MDX
53 Posts
Just throwing it out there… you can also use the center vents (from MDX with Nav) with a custom enclosure to house an appropriately sized screen, while using the center speaker bezel and connect that to the video outputs of the Pioneer Headunit.

So essentially, you will have a similar looking NAV screen but will be getting video from the head unit…Just an idea…
CAN'T LIE BUT THE STRUGGLE ISREAL, TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE OVER SEAS ANDROID BASED RECTANGULAR SCREEN OR THE INTERFACE MODULE AVAILABLE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts