Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its really annoying to have to reset the warning message everytime you turn off the car. I was just wondering if anyone figure a way around this?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I never really minded the opening screen until today. I went fishing and when I got back to the car the ebony interior was really hot. That 30 sec wait before I could access the climate controls to turn on the AC seemed like an eternity. I was already covered in sweat from the hike back. Waiting for the AC was like a sauna. Patience is valuable when it comes to fishing but not when it comes to AC. Oh yeah, that warning screen is annoying also. Who here reads that warning screen every single time they start up their mdx?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Rail said:
Dale -- they can't do that because they can't be sure the same driver will always be using the vehicle. If you owned the company that wrote the software you would have done the same thing - you know they'll probably still get sued even with the warning -- but at least now they have a chance.

Rail
I know that, but they could have you sign something when you buy the car, and keep it off the screen all together. They 'key' should tell them you are an authorized driver. Maybe a sensor for your thumbprint?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You would also have to sign that you will never allow anyone else to drive your vehicle -- and if you sold it, you'd have to go through the same transfer of ownership with the buyer... very impractical.. when they can simply have any driver push the button -- but I'll bet they get an argument one day that a passenger pushed the OK button - "and I didn't know it was dangerous to program the Nav while driving" :)

Thank the society we live in... or make the losing party pay all legal expenses for both sides -- and maybe we'll not have to push that button.

Regards.

Rail

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I guess the next thing to help protect the music industry, will be audible disclaimers and warnings on CDs about duplication before the tunes begin.
For that matter, they will put them on CD-ROMS and DVDs before you can write to them.
Let's be glad we don't get warnings about blinding other drivers whenever you hit your high beams.
How many can remember the 55 mph speedometers?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think an easier way to handle the Navi disclaimer would be for the disclaimer to pop up the first time you access the NAVI screen each time you are driving. This would allow the A/C to be accessable immediately. I have also experienced the same frustrating wait for the access to the A/C :3: (that manus1980 mentioned above.)

This way you can still have the disclaimer each time you drive & access the Navi & not have to wait for A/C on those hot days!! :4:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm wtih Rail

Make the losing party pay all court costs including attorney's fees for both sides and lot of this crapola would stop. I hate the warning message as much as the next guy, but I can just hear the company's attorneys justifying to show it everytime the Nav is turned on. The horror stories could have curled a dead man's hair. I knlow, I've heard a lot of them myself for a variety of products. Management would have to be crazy not to do what they are told.

That's why there are warnings on windshield sunscreens to remove before driving. The list is very long for this kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
manus1980 said:
I never really minded the opening screen until today. I went fishing and when I got back to the car the ebony interior was really hot. That 30 sec wait before I could access the climate controls to turn on the AC seemed like an eternity.
Just press automatic and the A/C will come on without the navigation screen on. I just leave mine on auto all the time and the A/C comes on after 15-20 seconds on its own. I think the delay is to allow the system to cool so you are not blasted with warm air when it first comes on.

Did you catch (fish) any?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You don't have to wait for the Nav screen to get the AC going. Leave it on full auto and turn the temp down to 60 degrees for full blast right away. I do agree that the disclaimer screen is annoying.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks baldeagle & mdx88 for that A/C info. :29:

I never use automatic & have the temp set on 68 - so that explains the delay!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
jmow said:
Its really annoying to have to reset the warning message everytime you turn off the car. I was just wondering if anyone figure a way around this?
There's alot of harder and more annoying things in life that we can fix, but this is one that is meant to be and serves a purpose. It's not that bad just think there alot of things that could be worse, like driving a Mercedes ML or BMW X5.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I also leave it set at 65 and full auto...cabin cools down quite quickly.
The disclaimer must be an industry standard, its the same on my wife's BMW. She has navi in her 530i, and I must say that the MDX system blows it away! Far more intuitive and easy to use. You would never believe how easy the touch screen makes it, try having to toggle to each letter. Using the BMW Navi makes me appreciate the Acura Navi even more.
In the total realm of things, the disclaimer is not really a big deal, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I caught 4 bass in the resevoir that borders Harrington Park, Norwood, and Closter. They were all small since the place is overfished. The reason I didn't leave my a/c on was that when I parked it was cool, didn't expect the car to trap so much heat. Completely forgot about the auto button.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live near there...

manus1980 said:
...the resevoir that borders Harrington Park, Norwood, and Closter...
Do you live around there? Or you just happened to go to some remote location in Northern Bergen County? :) I drive that way every time I go to visit my cousin in Dumont (I think). I just go straight down Tappan Rd. Left on Schralenburgh, or something like that... straight down to New Milford... I think that's the area you're talking about... I always see people fishing there, I never actually thought you'd catch anything :D

--Steve

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Finally test drove a nav, the initial warning isn't to big a deal but that darn warning about some destinations may not be accurate every time you calculate a route is enough to drive me batty!

Anyway to turn that darn thing off!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
2004 MDX to feature "biometric id systems"...

Wouldn't be FUNNY if the suggestions from our forum couple with the lawyers need to prove consent were combined to incorporate some biometric info system --- Image that they put some device (maybe a thumbprint reader, hand geometry sensor, or retinal scan) into the Nav equipped MDX so that after EACH driver consents once the subsequent reads are just to acknowledge that it is already a "consented" driver???

Great for gadget freaks...

DaleB said:
They should have a button that say "I Agree" to the terms. You press it, and never see the disclaimer again!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
manus1980 said:
I never really minded the opening screen until today. I went fishing and when I got back to the car the ebony interior was really hot. That 30 sec wait before I could access the climate controls to turn on the AC seemed like an eternity....
In `03s you don't have to wait for and dismiss the navi warning to use the other controls available via the display. After the boot splash screen you can use the AC/INFO button to access the climate controls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts