Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me that the 2003 x will have a 3.8L engine, with HP between 280 and 290. The X5 4.4 V8 has 282 HP, ML500 V8 has 288 HP. Is that what Acura is after, kill two birds with one stone (X5 3.0 and 4.4, ML 320 and 500)? Good strategy. BTW, Mercedes is introducing a ML360 (about 260 HP) in about 6 months, so they'll have to do something to their ML500, otherwise it becomes redundant.

Of course, no one REALLY knows for sure what's in store for the 03 X!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
thoughts

Well, I do NOT believe that Acura is targeting the <u>MDX</u> at the ML500 and/or X5 4.6, if they were going to do this they'd need a totally INSANE V6 (which they could do by spec'ing a 100hp/litre motor), they'd need a seriously beefed tranny & means of controlling torque steer, and various refinements to brakes & suspension. In all, TOO much work to pass the ROI test that Honda generally applies to any changes. Acura's image is not to make "bad boy" vehicles so much as technologically advanced products.

That said, there is no reason that Honda/Acura would not come out with a production vehicle similar to the DualNote which might feature hybrid gas/electric power to out-perform the hot-rod SUV from other makers.

As to size and such I could see something more along the lines of the Toureg/Cayenne. Heavy on the SPORT, lite on the utility.

And as to HP for the 03 -- who knows until it comes out and an independant authority looks at the results. FURTHER, the 03 could be a stopgap, with an even more powerful set-up coming for 04! This would give plenty of lead time to verify the tranmission durability & such...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts