Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two rather large (55lbs & 100lbs) dogs and I really wanted a gate type contraption to separate the 2nd row seating from the cargo area for them.

I've been looking around but all I can find is the separation net. My dogs are kinda hyper so I think they'll just try to chew or rip right through that thing or tear it down.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or know of any other products (maybe universal fit) that I can consider??

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
i think the net is pretty sturdy, but then again my dogs aren't trying to get through it

your only other alternative is to order the metal gates. they are universal and will fit most SUVs and wagons.

go to petsmart or look online

jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
you know come to think of it i have a metal gate from my old SUV...since i bought the MDX i bought the new seperation net.

where r u located ?

jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in So Cal (Orange County), where you located?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have two large dogs, a 80 lb German Shepard and a Greyhound.
Although neither are hyper, I have found the separation net to be quite sturdy. It would seem quite unlikely that any dog would chew through it. I use it in conjuction with an Acura cargo tray, and both dogs love to ride in the X.

The net is not a net per se, but quite firm.

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maik said:
I have two large dogs, a 80 lb German Shepard and a Greyhound.
Although neither are hyper, I have found the separation net to be quite sturdy. It would seem quite unlikely that any dog would chew through it. I use it in conjuction with an Acura cargo tray, and both dogs love to ride in the X.

The net is not a net per se, but quite firm.

You very much underestimate your dogs (well at least mine) if you don't think they can chew thru it... :D

jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"You very much underestimate your dogs (well at least mine) if you don't think they can chew thru it... "

I don't underestimate my dogs ability to chew anything, having seen what he (the Shepard) could do as a puppy. He is quite strong, I am sure he could rip apart most any obsticle he chooses. However, he is now 3 years old, and as a result of frequent exercise, lots of training and an occasional rawhide bone, his chewing activities are quite limited. Both dogs enjoy riding in the X, looking out the windows on three sides, and are quite comfortable. They have never tried to chew their way out. Properly trained and maintained dogs should not be so hyper that they try to chew anything near them. I would respectfully suggest you look into a competent professional trainer rather than bigger, stronger bars.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think the sep net works quite well. It's suprisingly sturdy and not nearly as pliable as the cargo net -- making it far more difficult to get ahold of and chew. The spacing between the net components is also very small, and the net itself held taught -- I don't see how an animal with a larger jaw will be able to even get a grip. From a tactile perspective I think they'd find it quite unpleasant.

Our Golden (5) is not a chewer since puppyhood; she does occassionally poke her head around the side of the net to kiss whoever's in the 2nd row :p

Have you actually seen the net in person? If you think they'll actually rip it to shreds, then I agree with JLee -- use the metal bars.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maik said:
"You very much underestimate your dogs (well at least mine) if you don't think they can chew thru it... "

I would respectfully suggest you look into a competent professional trainer rather than bigger, stronger bars.
Good luck.
Thanks, Maik, you're the only one to make the point. It's the answer to almost all "dog problems" and I've wanted to say it myself but thought it would offend (you didn't). I have a 100lbs beauceron - no net, no bars, no leash. I can walk him through a cat and squirrel convention off leash and he will not get to chasing without my permission - because I have invested the time to train him. Although it always offends those with untrained dogs, I think almost all "dog problems" can be traced back to "owner problems." That said, I love all dogs, trained and otherwise.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bailey our Great Dane loves the X. All we have is liner (A cargo liner is a must if you have a doggie). She gets in and sticks her head out of the sunroof and enjoys the ride. Just kidding she uses the side window. She is big enough that her hair is stuck to the roof and she can turn on the dome light with her back. She is a great dog however, she does have a weakness for squirrels. I think she thinks they are always laughing at her.

·
Registered
121 Posts
well, i actually didn't mean to imply that my dogs even attempt to chew through it....

glad you guys have calm dogs...unfortunately mine has more energy than most people can handle.....but fortunately he's as intelligent as he is energetic. i'll take that over calm anyday..........

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maik said:

I don't underestimate my dogs ability to chew anything, having seen what he (the Shepard) could do as a puppy. He is quite strong, I am sure he could rip apart most any obsticle he chooses. However, he is now 3 years old, and as a result of frequent exercise, lots of training and an occasional rawhide bone, his chewing activities are quite limited. Both dogs enjoy riding in the X, looking out the windows on three sides, and are quite comfortable. They have never tried to chew their way out. Properly trained and maintained dogs should not be so hyper that they try to chew anything near them. I would respectfully suggest you look into a competent professional trainer rather than bigger, stronger bars.
Good luck.
next time your in DC...bring him by !! we'll see who the "properly" trained dog is...;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
JLee said:
well, i actually didn't mean to imply that my dogs even attempt to chew through it....
glad you guys have calm dogs...unfortunately mine has more energy than most people can handle.....but fortunately he's as intelligent as he is energetic. i'll take that over calm anyday..........
I guess I'm probably getting into the "belaboring the point" zone, but "calm" has nothing to do with it - "trained" is the word. My dog, a 100 lbs beauceron is a working/herding breed, they don't come with much more energy. If I want him to lay on the ground while "energic" dogs run around chased by their owners, he'll do it. Once I release him, he'll go like hell and is a lot of fun. It is common for owners to assign the faults of their training to traits or personality quirks of the dogs. I see the same thing in horses and their owners. Sorry if I'm sounding like an ass, JLee, nothing personal. Try to read some good books, like the old How to Be Your Dogs Best Friend by the New Skete Monks. Old, but a classic.

Alvin

·
Registered
121 Posts
well I don't mean to belabor it either...just don't know what give you the idea that I have this problem you seem to be solving for.

actually I just realized, you really do seem to have the wrong idea..i agree that a dog needs to be trained, in my previous posts i never said anything about them not being well trained. i think you just made that assumption. my dog will stop on a dime, protect on command, and even sh$t on command. trust me, he is very very "well trained".

maybe this is just a pet owner's version of "my baby is the cutest and smartest boy ever !" going on here, but i never said anything about your babies...i don't doubt for a second they are great, just don't assume they are the only ones that are great and smart, etc. and everyone else's needs training.

jeff

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dogs in vehicle

I've got two labs, a yellow that I've had since she was under one and a chocolate that I got when she was 9+.

They both have hunted, though not in several seasons and both have competed in field trials. They are pretty good, but I know that I'm not the best trainer in the world.

That said, they WILL stay in the cargo area of my wagon if I make 'em & I'm there, but they can't stay there if I'm in a panic stop/collision.

The seperation net OUGHT to hold unless it was a helluva crash.

OTOH I wouldn't leave a bored, canine ALONE in any vehicle too long, the seats/carpet/headliner are all chewable...my chocolate once gnawed away an aluminum Coke can to lap up those yummy drops of sugar (when she was alone in the car for about 40 minutes, no injuries, but it scared me into realizing that 'run into the store' trips HAVE to remain RUN and not 'wait in line' IF I'm gonna take along my companions...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts