Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Is the "Range" number reliable?

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  AcuraMDX2002 
#1 ·
I have navigation system and its trip screen has the range box which shows how many miles to go before run out of gas. I wonder how accurate is this range. What's the lowest range people ever get before actually run out of gas?

#2 ·
RWX

I checked this soon after taking delivery. I too wanted to see just how accurate this the range calculation was.

It turned out that when it said I have zero miles left to go, I actually had about a gallon and a half left in the tank. Pretty close. However, I read about a + or - offset (bias) that the dealer sometimes enters which can make a difference in this calculation. I read about it on this forum. I checked mine and it was set at -20 miles which I take it to mean that the range will show zero miles when I actually have approx 20 left.

So, considering the -20 mile offset to the range calculation, the estimation of mile to go is very accurate on my "X".

There is a thread here some place that tells you how to change or set the + or - offset. I think I saw it about two months ago.

#3 ·
Not very reliable, IMO

I have a base model, but, I am sure, this feature is identical on both.

Most of the time I would trust the range indicator the same way I would trust a "list price" for a product (except MDX, of course :()

I once had a range of 0 for about 30 miles, while my fuel gauge still showed at least 1/4 tank.

Never experimented with the "empty" tank. - Why bother?

In case you are an adventurous type, remember that TLC comes with gas delivery service

#4 ·
I haven't pushed mine to the limit, yet! I trust it about as much as I trust a fuel gauge - if it says I need gas, I get gas! On the other hand, I have found this one to be quite accurate as far as updating the display depending on my current mpg - that's about all it can do, of course. It doesn't estimate what type of driving you'll be doing, and it can't predict the conditions in which you will be travelling, so trust it at your own risk (or amusement!).

#5 ·
I recently had 40 miles left on my range, fuel light on, needle one tick above E... When I filled the tank -- it took 18.7 gallons!

So no, don't depend on the "Range" number... It's useful for gross tracking, not detail tracking.

#6 ·
Mine has been very accurate, I have changed my offset to 0 and have driven till the miles to empty said 12. Stopped and filled up the MDX and it took 19.2 gallons. That tank I think I went 425 miles.

Greg

#7 ·
It is accurate on my "X" for most of time.

:2:

#8 ·
I just reset my offset to -10 and it immediately added 10 miles to the range. I can't bring myself to set it to zero, much like leaving my alarm clock set ahead!

#9 ·
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I just reset my offset to -10
How? Where can I find where to do this? Thank you! :D I'm such an ass sometimes. I just like all these cool features in the truck... I'm still getting used to it. But I don't mind messing with things like fuel offset or what not...

--Steve

#10 ·
NYMALU said:

How? Where can I find where to do this? --Steve
Here you go

Here is how to calibrate a non-nav:

Non-Nav:

1. Turn on display

2. Press CLOCK plus RESET together for 5 seconds. It will enter a calibration mode

3. The value to be changed will blink. First the temp offest will blink, pressing TRIP will toggleto the Range Offset. Press TRIP again and you are out of the calibration mode.

4. There are two values which can be adjusted: a RANGE Offset and a TEMP offset. The MODE and A/C button will adjust down and up (- and +) respectively.

Like the NAV, the car comes with a -20 mile range offset. This is why when you fill up you always have plenty of gas in the tank. It can be adjusted in 10 mile increments.

Hope this helps!!

#11 ·
That's how I did it, and if you push the other buttons you can enter other calibration modes -- have fun. I also think I found some of these instructions in my owner's manual. I'm still looking for instuctions on what I'm able to do when I press all three buttons simultaneously....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.