Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along happily in the third Boston snowstorm since I picked up my MDX three weeks ago, I was suddenly afflicted by doubt. I paid for this cool capability to distribute power to the wheels automatically based on conditions, but how do I know it's really happening? No lights flash, there's no change in sound, the NAV voice doesn't announce it like the Star Trek computer reading out the Warp Factor numbers. Suppose some guy on the line in Canada had a bad day, and never hooked up the system that does this when they built my vehicle? I won't know until the fateful day that I really need it and it isn't there.
I'm considering turning the vehicle on its back and seeing if all the wheels spin in the air, but I'm afraid this might damage the luggage rack, which doesn't seem all that strong, even if I put a pillow under it. Are there less drastic ways to test the system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
You could try driving out onto a frozen lake. Just make sure it's been frozen for at least a day:2:

By the way, a dash light will flash when the wheels are slipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
tangible said:
Driving along happily in the third Boston snowstorm since I picked up my MDX three weeks ago, I was suddenly afflicted by doubt. I paid for this cool capability to distribute power to the wheels automatically based on conditions, but how do I know it's really happening? No lights flash, there's no change in sound, the NAV voice doesn't announce it like the Star Trek computer reading out the Warp Factor numbers. Suppose some guy on the line in Canada had a bad day, and never hooked up the system that does this when they built my vehicle? I won't know until the fateful day that I really need it and it isn't there.
I'm considering turning the vehicle on its back and seeing if all the wheels spin in the air, but I'm afraid this might damage the luggage rack, which doesn't seem all that strong, even if I put a pillow under it. Are there less drastic ways to test the system?
I feel the same way about my home alarm system. I know it's supposed to alert the police if there is a break-in and the code isn't entered but how do I really KNOW it'll work when I need it?

What about that bulb in the regfrigerator? Does it really go off when the door is closed? Does that falling tree make a sound if no one is around to listen?

And what's the deal with airline food?...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,866 Posts
I know it works because I can't drive out of my driveway (uphill) with the other car while the X has no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,138 Posts
Re: Re: Is the MDX really four wheel drive?

crmsnidol said:


I feel the same way about my home alarm system. I know it's supposed to alert the police if there is a break-in and the code isn't entered but how do I really KNOW it'll work when I need it?

What about that bulb in the regfrigerator? Does it really go off when the door is closed? Does that falling tree make a sound if no one is around to listen?

And what's the deal with airline food?...
Airline food, now that's a oxymoron!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
You want oxymorons....you got oxymorons....

Act naturally Extra money Rap music
Advanced BASIC Found missing Religious tolerance
Airline food Freezer burn Resident alien
Almost exactly Genuine imitation Safe sex
Alone together Good grief Same difference
Black light Government organization Sanitary landfill
British fashion Jumbo Shrimp Sense of Congress
Business ethics Legally drunk Silent scream
Butt head Living dead Small crowd
California culture Marijuana initiative Soft rock
Childproof Microsoft Works Software Documentation
Christian Scientists Military intelligence Sweet sorrow
Civil War More perfect Synthetic natural gas
Clearly misunderstood New classic Taped live
Computer jock "Now, then ..." Temporary tax increase
Computer security Passive aggression Terribly pleased
Definite maybe Peace force Tight slacks
Democratic Leadership Plastic glasses Twelve-ounce pound cake
Diet ice cream Political science Working vacation
Exact estimate Pretty ugly

eh, sorry about the formatting.....:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,138 Posts
octavian said:
You want oxymorons....you got oxymorons....

Act naturally Extra money Rap music
Advanced BASIC Found missing Religious tolerance
Airline food Freezer burn Resident alien
Almost exactly Genuine imitation Safe sex
Alone together Good grief Same difference
Black light Government organization Sanitary landfill
British fashion Jumbo Shrimp Sense of Congress
Business ethics Legally drunk Silent scream
Butt head Living dead Small crowd
California culture Marijuana initiative Soft rock
Childproof Microsoft Works Software Documentation
Christian Scientists Military intelligence Sweet sorrow
Civil War More perfect Synthetic natural gas
Clearly misunderstood New classic Taped live
Computer jock "Now, then ..." Temporary tax increase
Computer security Passive aggression Terribly pleased
Definite maybe Peace force Tight slacks
Democratic Leadership Plastic glasses Twelve-ounce pound cake
Diet ice cream Political science Working vacation
Exact estimate Pretty ugly

eh, sorry about the formatting.....:confused:
LOL :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
tangible said:

I'm considering turning the vehicle on its back and seeing if all the wheels spin in the air, but I'm afraid this might damage the luggage rack, which doesn't seem all that strong, even if I put a pillow under it. Are there less drastic ways to test the system?
Well, seriously, you could test it by using a set of very sturdy jacks and get help. Lift the MDX up in the air and run the throttle. The front wheels will spin but it should apply some power to the rears.

Of course, if the vehicle falls off the jacks and runs into the wall, you might regret the test ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
tangible said:
...I'm considering turning the vehicle on its back and seeing if all the wheels spin in the air, but I'm afraid this might damage the luggage rack, which doesn't seem all that strong, even if I put a pillow under it. Are there less drastic ways to test the system?
LOL!:19:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Actually, it depends which one you have: if you have Touring or Premium - these are two wheel drives with awd optional only on Limited models. So, it seems to me like you may need to turn it back in. And the Limited model comes with a stronger roofrack that be strong enough to hold the vehicle while you check the wheels spinning.

It even comes with a "flip it over" tool kit as an accessory that you could buy from Tim cheaper than from the dealer...

I am just joking.

is not really an all wheel drive - it is :) Sure it is AWD and if you turn VTM on while driving on snow, you should see the difference.

Cheers! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who replied to my original posting. The comparison to the light bulb in the refrigerator was especially apt. In fact, the question of whether it really went off when the door closed plagued me all my life until I recently got a digital camera with a self-timer. Turn off the flash; turn on the self-timer; throw the camera into the refrigerator and slam the door. A minute later, take it out and review the picture it just took. If you see your food, you'll know that it was all a lie: that plunger switch is just a decoy.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
710 Posts
tangible said:
Thanks to all who replied to my original posting. The comparison to the light bulb in the refrigerator was especially apt. In fact, the question of whether it really went off when the door closed plagued me all my life until I recently got a digital camera with a self-timer. Turn off the flash; turn on the self-timer; throw the camera into the refrigerator and slam the door. A minute later, take it out and review the picture it just took. If you see your food, you'll know that it was all a lie: that plunger switch is just a decoy.
LOL! LOL! :21:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Arzoo said:
By the way, a dash light will flash when the wheels are slipping.
Nada. No dash light indication when the VTM-4 is engaging automatically; the light is ONLY on when you have the lock button pushed and you're in 1, 2, or R (at least on the '01s and '02s; don't know about the '03s).

Want to test it? Find a gravel road, come to a stop and ROMP on it. Betcha you'll take off quickly with little stone-throwing or other ruckus. Try the same with a 2WD, and it'll spin like crazy.:eek:

Wet grass is another good test.

If there's a place where you regularly chirp your tires on a 2WD car (maybe a paint stripe on a blacktop road at a stop-lighted intersection on a rainy day), try it with the MDX. Usually no chirp, maybe JUST a little.

The system works, and it works as close to seamlessly as most people could wish for!:6:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top