Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Are there places you travel to that your current database can’t find? If so, maybe...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have a 2016 MDX. I received an offer to update the MAP for $99. Worth it?
I’m trying to find out if specific areas have been addressed. Is there anyway to find out before I buy?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a '15 CPO and havent gotten anything.
I've received the $99 map update offer a few times for my 2014. I haven't purchased any of them though because I haven't felt that any of them are needed. The majority of places I go seem to be on it already and even when the MDX was new some places weren't on it so there's no guarantee an update covers much, if any, more than what you have covers.

Aside from a fundamental disgust that Acura wants to profit even more by selling me expensive updates when other devices do updates at no cost, it comes down to a percentage of improvement. If one gains 0-5% of practical improvement by the update covering roads/POIs I don't think it's worth it. If there was a 50% or greater improvement it might be worth it. For something between 5-50% one needs to just decide whether they think it's worth it.

You also need to determine how you'll use the Nav system. I've found that trying to use it to find a motel, gas station, restaurant, is so cumbersome with the voice control so inaccurate/buggy that it's not worth trying to use it for that purpose so that eliminates the majority of the reason for getting an update (POIs). If I have a passenger in the vehicle it's easier and more accurate to have them just find what's needed on Google maps on their iPhone. If I don't have a passenger I plan ahead or figure it out at a stop (on my iPhone).

Newer MDXs hopefully have enough improvements in the system to negate some of what I said above.

·
Registered
278 Posts
99 bucks is the current price if you go to the acura navigation website all map updates for any year mdx is @ $99.
The Official Acura Map Update Site | Home | HERE

They have details there on what has changed.

I have the 2018 maps in my 05 mdx, it is nice of acura to still provide updates 13 years later. My family has a 2012 gmc acadia and GM cut off the nav updates in 2016, just after the warranty expires no more nav updates for you...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you have some bugs like the top screen contrast issues, then it might be worth a try. For the map updates alone, i don't think it's worth it. The updates are still way behind. The 2018 update is still missing a portion of my city built in 2014.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
99 bucks is the current price if you go to the acura navigation website all map updates for any year mdx is @ $99.
The Official Acura Map Update Site | Home | HERE

They have details there on what has changed.

I have the 2018 maps in my 05 mdx, it is nice of acura to still provide updates 13 years later. My family has a 2012 gmc acadia and GM cut off the nav updates in 2016, just after the warranty expires no more nav updates for you...
Where does that site actually show what has changed? Can’t find any info.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Looks like it only just shows the map version it updates to, which is st006.05.01/x

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
...actually show what has changed? Can’t find any info.
Elvis - maybe you could check with your dealer to see if they have an MDX that just arrived that has the update that you could check to see if it has the area you're concerned with - either that or maybe they could apply the update to some MDX on the lot, maybe one a staff person drives, and you could check that one. Either way they s/b able to tell you, even over the phone, if it covers a particular area assuming they're interested in providing that level of help to their customers - especially a repeat customer like you.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Elvis - maybe you could check with your dealer to see if they have an MDX that just arrived that has the update that you could check to see if it has the area you're concerned with - either that or maybe they could apply the update to some MDX on the lot, maybe one a staff person drives, and you could check that one. Either way they s/b able to tell you, even over the phone, if it covers a particular area assuming they're interested in providing that level of help to their customers - especially a repeat customer like you.
I chatted with Here. They were no help. I called the dealer,service. They were no help. I have my car in right now. So I have a loaner. A 2018 MDX. 1200 miles on it. Don’t know when it was made. That doesn’t have the changes. Even if they had a new one in and it had the changes,that doesn’t mean the update would have it. These are brand new. Maybe 6 months old. My Garmin has the changes. Perhaps I’ll skip this year.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I found the date. Built 4/18. So recent. So I’ll wait until next year for the maps.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
ElvisFan -you havea 2017 hybrid built 4/18? How is that possible?
I believe he is referring to his loaner, since his MDX is in service:

I chatted with Here. They were no help. I called the dealer,service. They were no help. I have my car in right now. So I have a loaner. A 2018 MDX. 1200 miles on it. Don’t know when it was made. That doesn’t have the changes. Even if they had a new one in and it had the changes,that doesn’t mean the update would have it. These are brand new. Maybe 6 months old. My Garmin has the changes. Perhaps I’ll skip this year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 MDX. I checked the Navi settings and the software is st005.04.00 -- does anyone know which year update this would be?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 MDX. I checked the Navi settings and the software is st005.04.00 -- does anyone know which year update this would be?
I don’t think anyone knows how to translate that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK thanks -- I suppose I'm asking if anyone has the 2017, 2018, or 2019 map update....what does your SW version screen look like?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts