Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! We're in the market for a new 2016 MDX, looking to replace our 2006. Before we bite the bullet, I was curious if there is any info on 2017 models? Is it going to get a refresh? I know it's really early, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, per an article I read in Automotive News, the MDX will get a refresh. Not due to be out until Fall of 2016. So, a while to go. The 16's came out very early and will be around for a while.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hard to tell, you can always expect some changes, whether it's options, enhancements, etc. I have a hard time imagining any significant drivetrain/powertrain changes given that they just did a new transmission.

Perhaps some cosmetic changes inside and out. This article eludes to that, it is however, written without fact and honestly speaking, poorly written:
2017 Acura MDX Changes and Improvements | SitesCars

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Acura always does an exterior refresh with the front and rear, updated on info-tainment system (like better Apple/android integration), and minor tweeks to engine/transmission. Honda seems to be a year or two ahead of Acura on upgraded tech. What is on the current Pilot might be on the +2017 MDX. We might even see surround camera, 2nd row Captain chairs option, standard LED fogs, panoramic roof, etc... The 2017-2019 model run will most likely stay unchanged until the all new 2020 MDX hits the road.

I usually try to purchase an Acura after the MMC because they become more reliable, early model TSB issues are addressed, and the styling stays current longer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some 2017 MDX Info

Here is an article about the 2017 MDX from May 2015.

2017 Acura MDX ? Changes - 2016 / 2017 Truck and SUV

Minor cosmetic improvement.
Improving systems and functions, which are available with a new generation Honda Pilot models. Light and modern materials for vehicle construction will reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. The exterior design of the vehicle will go through a minimum change. They will mostly be cosmetic in nature.
The biggest changes are expected in the interior design. This luxury seven-seater SUV will get updated interior features and equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Based on the last model of the MDX (in MY 2010), there should be some significant MMC changes for MY '17. therefor I will wait until early '16, even though prices will tend to be higher. The '16 sales/leases prices are EXTREMELY attractive (almost picked one up).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have an 08 mdx and have been looking to upgrade since the '14 came out. I wanted the Advance, but refused to be forced to buy the entertainment as well, so that coupled with the issues people were having (and I wasn't a big fan of the look, 08 was much nicer IMO) made me decide to wait. In '16 they let you buy the Advance without entertainment so I considered making a switch, but with the almost certain upgrades to the electronics coming in '17, I figure that will be the time to upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys. Our 06 MDX is in need of repairs and has rust so we are anxious to move on from it. We could probably get another year out of it though. We keep our cars a long time so with the MMC coming next year it may be worth it to wait....

Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's not like they're going to upgrade the engine or bring a hybrid version to be worth waiting for or pay a higher premium. If you really need a bluray DVD player, or some other silly tweaks to the infotainment system then I say wait for it, other than that pick one up at a hefty discount and enjoy it. There are some excellent deals running right now.

Ps. "Light and modern materials for vehicle construction will reduce the overall weight of the vehicle". This was already implemented on a 2016 MY.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wouldn't believe anything in the links in the above posts. They're very poorly written and say pretty much nothing concrete and don't appear to be written by anyone in a position to know the inside info on the 2017.

I haven't seen anything credible posted on any changes for the 2017. I think the changes that were made for the 2016 actually caught many people by surprise, especially the staunch MMY change advocates - the ones who indicate a fairly rigid refresh/redesign schedule.

Maybe there'll be changes for 2017 and maybe not. Maybe the 2017 will be introduced on the same very early schedule as the 2014-2016 model years and maybe not.

You probably should just consider a point in time when you want a new vehicle and then just go ahead and select from what's available at the time unless you know for certain something's coming in a change 'and' that it's something you want. I say the latter because a number of people found themselves desiring the 2015 over the 2016 due to the different transmission in the 2016. You won't know of changes being for certain unless the info's provided as a press release from Acura or it's a highly credible source as opposed to people who write articles that say nothing (as in the links) or people who speculate or people writing based on a wish list.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It seems everything being equal, a used 15 MDX Adv sh-awd looks like the real sweet spot for mpg (because of 6AT), tech, safety, entertainment, and price. The 15 MDX was the last year before Acura added the crazy pricing with the Acura Watch systems. There should be plenty of 15 to pick from for the next few years if the 2016-2017 are just more money for the same vehicle.

I would take a 15 and 16 MDX of the same model for a test drive. My used 11 MDX Adv Ent looked exactly like a new 13 MDX Adv Ent and I had an $15,000 extra in my pocket.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It seems everything being equal, a used 15 MDX Adv sh-awd looks like the real sweet spot for mpg (because of 6AT), tech, safety, entertainment, and price. The 15 MDX was the last year before Acura added the crazy pricing with the Acura Watch systems. There should be plenty of 15 to pick from for the next few years if the 2016-2017 are just more money for the same vehicle.

I would take a 15 and 16 MDX of the same model for a test drive. My used 11 MDX Adv Ent looked exactly like a new 13 MDX Adv Ent and I had an $15,000 extra in my pocket.
I sort of started my search with your ideology and found a 2015 MDX Advanced SH-AWD Certified. However, I don't need or really want the Entertainment as I imagine my child when he's old enough will be more into tablets, what not.

That said, I got close to buying the 2015, but the darn MDX holds it value so well, and it came basically within $3-4K of buying a brand spanking new one in a more favorable color combo. Granted I bought non-Entertainment and the certified one had Entertainment so add $1-$2K to cover that, but it had no value to us, and I imagine in 4-5 years it'll carry no real tangible value as the technology will be so outdated by then. Despite the negativity towards the 9spd, I enjoyed driving it better, and we liked the button shifter thing better, opens that area up, etc.

So that said, unless you can get a smoking deal, not sure it really matters. For us, we were dead set on Advance Package so the AcuraWatch thing didn't really play in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts