Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
The thing about Acura and Honda cars is most of their products look really plain and dull in pictures. Honestly, when I look at the 3rd gen MDX pictures in most online review, I see a really plain looking SUV especially when it is beside an X5, RX F Sport, QX60 and etc. I also had the same feeling when they launched the TLX. But when I actually see them in the dealer lots or on the streets, it changes. The pictures don't do justice, except maybe for the new NSX. You have to use certain camera angles on these cars to make it pop.

I remember when I saw the 3rd gen MDX on the street for the first time, I was in awe. It looked really nice, especially those unique LED headlights and tail lights.
I still like the looks of my 3rd gen MDX. And I still gaze at other 3rd gen MDXs when I see one on the street. The way they incorporated the DRL in the LED lamps, without using those ugly LED strips in most cars today, still looks good and unique to me.

Anyway, maybe when I see the new Pilot in person, I would see it differently just like their other products.

Sorry to offend, I just cannot warm up to the 3rd gen styling...it went very generic in my opinion.

Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... you may find it ugly but some like it that way.

For me, I can't stand the looks of the whole Highlander, QX60's and Pathfinder's rear end. I also find the new lexus designs exaggerated.

Sorry to offend, I just cannot warm up to the 3rd gen styling...it went very generic in my opinion.
The appeal of a particular style is indeed subjective and not an area one should feel any offense from anybody.

IMO:

Third Gen MDX > Previous Gen MDX > 2016 Pilot > Previous Pilot

I really like the styling of the 3rd gen MDX - I think it's the nicest looking SUV available. I like the previous gen MDX okay but always thought the D pillar area was somewhat awkward looking and that area was cleaned up on the third gen MDX. I 'like' the front end styling of the MDX, aka the 'beak'. I liked it on the previous gen MDX and like it even better on the third gen. IMO it's vastly superior to the 'gaping mouth' styling of some Audi, Lexus, and other vehicles that seems to be prevalent nowadays.

I've always felt that the Pilot was one of the most hideous SUVs available - just a box with an ugly front end - an obvious attempt to add a bit of style to the previous bland front end but a failed execution. From the pics, this 2016 Pilot appears much nicer than the previous 'box on wheels' design. I think it's a step up. I still prefer the MDX styling over it though although I obviously haven't seen a 2016 Pilot in person yet.

To minimize the 'minivan' type of look on the longer/lower crossover SUVs, put a roof rack on it - it gives the vehicle a taller stance and more of an SUV and less of a minivan look. I think it's a marked difference on the third gen MDX.

Do you folks care how it drives? Need to drive it to compare it.

It does appear the new Pilot is moving upscale.

"All of those vehicles are from the same global platform. The Pilot, MDX, Ridgeline and Odyssey start with the same base chassis and there is some engine sharing but all are tuned differently and body panels vary widely for the different body styles.
The Pilot was designed and engineered in the U.S., in Ohio and California. Chief Engineer Marc Ernst said the goal was to improve every aspect of the SUV that is available as a 7-passenger vehicle with captain's chairs in the second row or as an 8-passenger vehicle with a bench seat.
Ernst said taking the Pilot upscale will not infringe on the MDX as they attract different buyers.
Families represent 95% of Pilot buyers and they are younger buyers than the competition, with an average age of 47, said Richard Pham, product planner."

I agree......I have a 2014, which I'm very happy with, but whenever I see a really clean 2nd Gen, I have style envy.

The 3rd gen is a nice car, but it went really soft on styling, lost it's aggressive edge in many ways.

That said, my opinion is exterior only......I'm quite pleased with the interior in the 3rd gen, and it's a big upgrade.

I agree......I have a 2014, which I'm very happy with, but whenever I see a really clean 2nd Gen, I have style envy.

The 3rd gen is a nice car, but it went really soft on styling, lost it's aggressive edge in many ways.

That said, my opinion is exterior only......I'm quite pleased with the interior in the 3rd gen, and it's a big upgrade.
My wife's gen 2 does look sharp, but when I drive it after driving the gen 3, its ride is just fair. There is a lot of road noise and ride is harsh. I guess everyone has to weigh the pros and cons to each. No doubt, there is a lot of give and take between the 2 and 3.

My wife's gen 2 does look sharp, but when I drive it after driving the gen 3, its ride is just fair. There is a lot of road noise and ride is harsh. I guess everyone has to weigh the pros and cons to each. No doubt, there is a lot of give and take between the 2 and 3.
Absolutely, the 2014 is MUCH more refined feeling, and I must say, having a quiet vehicle has turned into a "must have" for future choices, I find the cabin so relaxing.

Absolutely, the 2014 is MUCH more refined feeling, and I must say, having a quiet vehicle has turned into a "must have" for future choices, I find the cabin so relaxing.
Agreed. The interior and ride quality are very nice. The seats are comfortable as well; great for long trips. I'm coming up on a year with my '14 and still love it.

while the new Pilot has many features of the MDX, I would guess the smooth ride of the MDX will still be better versus the Pilot. Honda SUVs and the Odyssey minivan have a lot more interior noise versus the MDX and very different road feel.

while the new Pilot has many features of the MDX, I would guess the smooth ride of the MDX will still be better versus the Pilot. Honda SUVs and the Odyssey minivan have a lot more interior noise versus the MDX and very different road feel.
The smoothness and ride characteristics are primarily determined by the chassis design. Apparently the 2016 Pilot will use the same chassis as the third gen MDX which would mean its ride characteristics should be similar. They may not be exact since a chassis can be tweaked towards firmer and better handling for one application and softer and more sedate handling for another application. This can be done by simply having different springs and shocks for one vehicle vs the other as well as tuning the steering responsiveness, transmission shifting patterns, engine responsiveness. These last few can be done with the MDX IDS settings - something I didn't see mentioned for the 2016 Pilot and possibly at least one of the distinctions.

I said 'apparently the same' due to this article on the 2016 Pilot -
2016 Honda Pilot loses weight to gain more sales

Also note the bit about the 2017 MDX production being added to Ohio -
In fact, on Wednesday Honda announced it will add production of the Acura MDX to its East Liberty, Ohio, plant beginning in 2017. The MDX is currently made only in Lincoln, Ala., alongside the Pilot and the Odyssey minivan. And next year Honda will resume production of the next-generation Ridgeline pickup at the Alabama plant.

All of those vehicles are from the same global platform. The Pilot, MDX, Ridgeline and Odyssey start with the same base chassis and there is some engine sharing, but all are tuned differently and body panels vary widely for the different body styles.

The Pilot was designed and engineered in the U.S., in Ohio and California.

Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... you may find it ugly but some like it that way.
For me, I can't stand the looks of the whole Highlander, QX60's and Pathfinder's rear end. I also find the new lexus designs exaggerated.
Taste is indeed subjective. I like clean, simple elegant - which is hard to do well. So, designers get lazy and add exaggerated curves, fake functional features, and lately, silly lighting. The Lexus spindle is an example. Who comes up with that crap? It's just a radiator grill. Did a bunch of Lexus designers get in a room and ask, "We need to make our cars more edgy. Let's make a strong statement about who we are with our radiator grill." My 2004 Nissan 350Z is perfect. Beautiful shape. No bling. No crap. My Prius is clean and simple, but perhaps more functional than elegant.

Our 2014 MDX is good. Like the Prius, it is dealing with functional constraints, the needs of a three row SUV, especially on the back third. I like the hidden exhaust. Who needs to see the car's **shole, with or without chrome tips? The 2014 is a clean, simple, elegant shape. The headlights fit in and function well. The one exception is the beak.

So reviews are coming out today on the 2016 Honda Pilot. On the top trim level there appears to be some potential crossover with the lower trim levels of the MDX certainly in terms of features, similar engine, although less horsepower and the nine speed automatic transmission.

Redline Reviews on YouTube says that the MDX is still sportier and steers better and it appears from the Car & Driver tests, the 2016 MDX is a little quicker but the gap is closing; so hopefully Acura will up its game perhaps on the interior, more HP and other features for the MDX. Hell, the Pilot even has a panoramic skylight of sorts not that it matters to me, but still...

S Hell, the Pilot even has a panoramic skylight of sorts not that it matters to me, but still...
This was the one area my wife was borderline on buying the MDX. Our prior two vehicles had panos, the last of which opened for the back rows. Kids loved it and I would bet that as soon as it's an option on the MDX we'll be upgrading. I personally could care less. I realized this week that I've never opened the sunroof in my Yukon since buying it last fall. I should make sure it works before I blow through the warranty soon.

I was reading about the 2016 Honda Pilot and it sounds pretty nice. Maybe even nicer then my 2014 MDX with tech package. Kind of wish I had waited.

I like the MDX and all, but for the money it should of came with manymore "upgraded" standard features. Like panoramic sunroof, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, Remote start, Acura link should be free, 12V plug in rear seat area, or even USB ports, etc..

2016 Honda Pilot | Chicago Auto Show - Consumer Reports
Why does the Pilot get a panoramic roof, more USB ports and 3rd row HVAC vents, when the MDX doesn't????????

Here's an interesting excerpt from the press release - since infotainment is such a hot topic for discussion on this site. That that I think the current MDX infotainment system is Windows based whereas this one is Android based -

And here's another reference to the Pilot with various views -
2016 Honda Pilot packs more of everything

I've always felt that the Pilot was one of the ugliest syling designs on the market - a box with an ugly/awkward front end grill design. This new one looks much nicer - although the article hints at a possible 'mini-van-ish' appearance.

Apparently they s/b on dealer lots this summer.

From the description of the Pilot it seems that Acura will need to up the ante on the MDX to position it above the Pilot in order to justify whatever difference in cost/market they're positioning the MDX for. It seems that the Pilot will maybe impinge on more of the MDX market segment than the current Pilot does. But of course it will all depend on the details which will include power, acceleration, handling.
OK. The Pilot getting 3D building rendering navigation pisses me off! WTF?????

And agree with everything else you say.

I think the 2016 MDX is a done deal and the features known since they're already apparently in the process of starting to build them and the press releases have been done. It isn't vastly different from the 2014/2015 other than a new 9 speed transmission and a different SHAWD system along with a few other changes.

It appears to me that the Pilot has leapfrogged the MDX in some areas. This means there may be more MDX changes in store in 2017 or so in order to be appropriately positioned above the Pilot.
Yes, 2017 MDX will have some changes to up the ante.

Exactly!!!

I personally think the current MDX interior is inferior to the true luxury players. From the low resolution dual screen with washed out colors during sunny days to the design and materials used, it does not feel luxurious. Even the current Lexus RX, which is going on 6 years, is more luxurious on the interior. From the look of the 2016 Pilot the interior it appears to be much nicer, dare I say more luxurious compared to the rather plain MDX interior. Sure the handling is not going to be as good but it's not like the current MDX is a sports sedan. And If the '16 Pilot can suppress imperfect roads, unlike the MDX, then it will most likely steal some sales from the MDX. Unless Acura improves the'17 MDX and make it a true luxury SUV, I know I would pick the '16 Pilot, playing the value option. I truly want Acura to succeed and stop being the value choice with many compromises.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.