Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about the 2016 Honda Pilot and it sounds pretty nice. Maybe even nicer then my 2014 MDX with tech package. Kind of wish I had waited.

I like the MDX and all, but for the money it should of came with manymore "upgraded" standard features. Like panoramic sunroof, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, Remote start, Acura link should be free, 12V plug in rear seat area, or even USB ports, etc..

2016 Honda Pilot | Chicago Auto Show - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Looks like it even comes with fog lights!! There used to be a huge gap between the MDX and Pilot. When we shopped in '12 the Pilot was a turd compared to the MDX. I'll be curious to see how nice this one really is in terms of driving dynamics and interior quality. The big thing it lacks is SH-AWD but I realize that's not important to a lot (most?) buyers.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Here's an interesting excerpt from the press release - since infotainment is such a hot topic for discussion on this site. That that I think the current MDX infotainment system is Windows based whereas this one is Android based -

The new Pilot also incorporates Honda's latest thinking for advanced, family-friendly technology, including an upsized 8-inch capacitive touchscreen Display Audio telematics interface powered by a new Android-based operating system and more powerful processor, along with an available all-new embedded Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™. The new navigation system features improved graphics and new capabilities, including 3D renderings of terrain, buildings and road signs, improved lane guidance, live search function, 911 emergency services and more.
And here's another reference to the Pilot with various views -
2016 Honda Pilot packs more of everything

I've always felt that the Pilot was one of the ugliest syling designs on the market - a box with an ugly/awkward front end grill design. This new one looks much nicer - although the article hints at a possible 'mini-van-ish' appearance.

Apparently they s/b on dealer lots this summer.

From the description of the Pilot it seems that Acura will need to up the ante on the MDX to position it above the Pilot in order to justify whatever difference in cost/market they're positioning the MDX for. It seems that the Pilot will maybe impinge on more of the MDX market segment than the current Pilot does. But of course it will all depend on the details which will include power, acceleration, handling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have AWD or is 4WD or is it xxx??? it just may not be SUPER!

looks like the pilot is overtaking the MDX in terms of options. Maybe the 2016 MDX will have all these options and then some.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Maybe the 2016 MDX will have all these options and then some.
I think the 2016 MDX is a done deal and the features known since they're already apparently in the process of starting to build them and the press releases have been done. It isn't vastly different from the 2014/2015 other than a new 9 speed transmission and a different SHAWD system along with a few other changes.

It appears to me that the Pilot has leapfrogged the MDX in some areas. This means there may be more MDX changes in store in 2017 or so in order to be appropriately positioned above the Pilot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it will be interesting to see once both are available for sale. Wouldn't be the first car manufacturer who shot themselves in the foot with competition within their own model lines.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've always felt that the Pilot was one of the ugliest syling designs on the market - a box with an ugly/awkward front end grill design. This new one looks much nicer - although the article hints at a possible 'mini-van-ish' appearance.

Nothing to worry, Customers will throw up once they look at the new pilot.I can't believe Honda worked 6 years to come up with that horrible looking abomination.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think they tried to hold back the design on this new Pilot so that it won't get the sales of the MDX and it really shows. Looks like CRV on steroids, in a bad way. I actually like the exterior of the Ody more than this new Pilot. This one looks like a confused mini-van.

In terms of new safety technology, this new Pilot kicks the 2014 and 2015 MDXs in the butt. A lot of features for less money but the 2016 MDX will have these features and more. Also, if you think the interior of the MDX looks and feels cheap, this will be worse, hard plastics galore. Just by looking at the pics, the interior will be inferior to the MDX and that's the way it should be because the MDX costs more.

So, I don't think this new Pilot put the MDX to shame. Not even close. The 2016 MDX will get those tech and more. I am really not liking the exterior. I don't think this Pilot put any 3 row crossover to shame for that matter.

If I was car shopping right now, I'll wait for the 2016 Odyssey. Chances are, it will have the same tech and it also looks way better than this new Pilot.

I like what they did to the new Fit, Civic, Accord and CRV and eventually they screwed this one up. Poor Pilot.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Well, it's not even available yet, so I wouldn't rush to judgment just yet.

As for technology, features, and options, let's wait and see how it's equipped. Remember, there are various packages available for the MDX (more in 2016 than ever before) and the same will certainly be true for the Pilot. It wouldn't be surprising if a loaded Pilot had some things that a base MDX doesn't. The same thing is often true, comparing a base model from the luxury brand with the corresponding top-of-the-line from its mass-market sister division.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This one looks like a confused mini-van.
my thought exactly. no matter the features inside, the outside is still poorly styled.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like they kept much of the practical functionality of a minivan, without being a "minivan"......decent restyle, but very conservative/Honda.

I see the 2017 MDX being the big change, taking on some of this new stuff, and also keeping it's own identity.

Hopefully a year with all the infotainment will give the next gen MDX what it needs.......catching up with everyone else 5 years behind!! LOL

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not a fan of the folding armrests on the front seats. No console to lean on and no shifter to grab. Very minivan like.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is even uglier than the 3rd gen MDX...that my friends ain't easy to do.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts