Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X is about 3 wks old and have been filling up with supreme gas because the dealership said they reccomended it. Does everybody use supreme or is anybody just using regular?

Redrock
Doing my own options

·
Registered
122 Posts
You just opened Pandora's Box.

You will get many different answers. Look in the owners manual and make your own decision. We do use premium "most" of the time in our TL, and if we go ahead with our MDX order, it will be the same.

alesyk said:
My X is about 3 wks old and have been filling up with supreme gas because the dealership said they reccomended it. Does everybody use supreme or is anybody just using regular?

Redrock
Doing my own options

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
alesyk,

This debate may never settled. Search through all the threads and you will find valid opinions on both sides. Remember, a recommendation is not a mandate. For me, I have been running my MDX on Regular for some time now with no adverse effects or drop in performance. Experiment and decide what works best for you. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
EXCALIBUR said:
alesyk,

This debate may never settled. Search through all the threads and you will find valid opinions on both sides. Remember, a recommendation is not a mandate. For me, I have been running my MDX on Regular for some time now with no adverse effects or drop in performance. Experiment and decide what works best for you. Good luck.:)
Although no noticeable drop in performance, more than one member has claimed slightly better mileage with higher octane fuel. If the timing is retarded slighty to adjust for regular, that is a possibility.

·
Registered
700 Posts
What timing....

I'm in the midst of doing a test now with my 03. After 3,800 miles I've been able to average just over 20MPG combo city and freeway (20.1 to be exact). I've done the last two tanks on plus grade and noticed no difference in performance, pinging, or mileage. I'm being careful to keep my driving patterns the same.

Comments made previously are right on. Search the forum and you'll find more information that you possibly digest in one sitting.

-Greg

03 SS/Quartz/Nav/Res

·
Registered
70 Posts
Been using 89 for a few weeks now. No ill effects. Seems a bit slower off the line though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Good point . . .

Here in So Cal, prices for 91 octane 'premium' is starting to go over the $2.00 glass ceiling - with impending war in the gulf region, gas prices are sure to go up much higher . . . I may start experimenting with 89 'mid' grade gas if I can save .10 - .15 over premium. George W should just colonize Iraq and secure our crude supply for the next millenium so that gas prices can drop back down to sane levels . . .

·
Registered
840 Posts
GUYS, GET OVER IT ALREADY. Use the expensive stuff. For Christ's sake, even the brand new 3.0L Honda Accord engine is RECOMMENDED to use regular fuel but ask ANYONE that has put it on a dyno and they'll tell you max power is NOT attainable on anything under premium fuel! Coupla hundred bucks more per month is nothing guys.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Actually it has been proven over and over that high octance does nothing for performance. The octane just helps prevents knocking. So if your X doesn't knock with the lower grade, keep using it and save the money. If you have money to blow then you can use high grade, but it does nothing for performance in the X or any other vehicle.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
MDtex,

I agree with your post about higher octane gas and knocking. Unless there is quantitative evidence that premium gas delivers "better" performance, I will continue to use regular and save a few hundred bucks a year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
My wife filled up today at Costco with premium $1.68.9 per gal.We have about 800 miles on the X.She averaged 14.7 MPG.all intown driving.
Tom:9:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___No way is our X ever going to see Premium unleaded as it is a complete waste. The first warm day this summer, I will pull the OBD II SW out and run some tests to show the advance, TPI, and fuel trims at varying RPM’s using the 87 and 91 Octane in an 03 X. That will be the only time our X gets a taste of Premium given the expense for no reason! This Premium fuel recommendation non-sense needs to be settled once and for all as it is costing tens of thousands of X owners hundreds of dollars a year for nothing IMHO …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
xcel said:
Hi All:

___No way is our X ever going to se Premium unleaded as it is a complete waste. The first warm day this summer, I will pull the OBD II SW out and run some tests to show the advance, TPI, and fuel trims at varying RPM’s using the 87 and 91 Octane in an 03 X. That will be the only time our X gets a taste of Premium given the expense for no reason! This Premium fuel recommendation non-sense needs to be settled once and for all as it is costing tens of thousands of X owners hundreds of dollars a year for nothing IMHO …
xcel, I'll definitely look forward to reading your findings...:4:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looking forward to the results xcel,

I went to gas up recently and my usual station was out of premium so I filled up with regular. I noticed no difference at all. Now that gas prices have increased I have been using premium about every third fill-up and now that may not even be necessary.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
xcel said:
Hi All:

___No way is our X ever going to see Premium unleaded as it is a complete waste. The first warm day this summer, I will pull the OBD II SW out and run some tests to show the advance, TPI, and fuel trims at varying RPM’s using the 87 and 91 Octane in an 03 X. That will be the only time our X gets a taste of Premium given the expense for no reason! This Premium fuel recommendation non-sense needs to be settled once and for all as it is costing tens of thousands of X owners hundreds of dollars a year for nothing IMHO …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]
Glad you jumped into this thread xcel. Yes, please keep us posted on your test results. Until then, "Fill 'er up...Regular.":4:

1 - 20 of 332 Posts