Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
141 - 160 of 174 Posts
DaleB said:
I suspect this topic will die when the last MDX is a rusted out hulk and headed for a crusher. :D
Yea but its a known fact that a car crusher running on 93 will compress an MDX to 17.9 inches thick; whereas if you skimp on 87 it'll only compress it down to 18.5 inches :cool: :1: Assuming no pre-detonation of course.

msu79gt82 said:

Yea but its a known fact that a car crusher running on 93 will compress an MDX to 17.9 inches thick; whereas if you skimp on 87 it'll only compress it down to 18.5 inches :cool: :1: Assuming no pre-detonation of course.
You forgot to factor in whether the gas is top-tier or not and whether it is running synth or dino.............. :D .

EGR

carguy1234 said:

My X is similar to yours - I get routinely 1.5-2MPG better with the 93 Vs the 87. I wonder - do you drive a lot of hills? My main trip (back and forth to work) has a few steep grade hills that I need to climb quickly to merge in with traffic. The 87 tanks don't seem to like to do this, and I think that's where I see the difference.

If I'm on a road trip and lock the cruise control at ~70, I can get 24MPG+ with either 87 or 93. On my "standard trips", I get ~16.7 with the 87 and ~18.4 with the 93. My price difference between the two is only about 14 cents here usually, so I'll stay with the 93.
But what about the EGR valve contamination? My experience is same mileage - and if it saves me having to pay $150 to clean the EGR valve, it's a no-brainer.

Re: EGR

MrPrescott said:

But what about the EGR valve contamination? My experience is same mileage - and if it saves me having to pay $150 to clean the EGR valve, it's a no-brainer.
:confused:

Re: EGR

MrPrescott said:

Worried about deposits? Read this again.

SuperTech said:
The amount of deposits left on the piston, valves, and combustion chamber have much more to do with driving style and quality of gas used. Chevron is arguably the best quality gas out there. Their Techron additive is in my opinion the best one of all the gasolines. And unlike Shell...they put this additve in all three grades. So if you used Chevron, no matter the grade...you'd have less deposts than if you had been tanking up at Arco all this time. Also...someone who is doing full throttle pulls on a regular basis isn't going to have many carbon desposits vs. someone who drives like there's an egg under the throttle. Ever see that initial poof of black smoke from the back of a car when someone gives it the whip? That's carbon built up in the combustion chamber goign bye bye.

Orginally posted by GDOT

"That might explain the decrease of fuel economy from 16.1 to 14.9. I do have 22's, so I'm thinking I need that extra octane to get those wheels going"

I'm thinking of 22" now. I see you can do a P265/45/22 and it clears the struts and looks taller. I wonder if I can stretch it to P275 for a wider footprint?? Any ideas??
Also, the wheel diameter increase is an added demand on braking and turning bigger wheels taxes the engine and fuel demand.

Qrtlow
04 Touring
Black on Black

Never again!!!

:4: Last week I tried the regular gas and I would never do it again.
The performance of my MDX was not the same and I got lower gas millage than what I get with the premium.
It is not worse trying it. Just stick to the manufacture recommendation. If you can not, then I recommend to use about 50/50 mix of regular and premium, thus you will get the 91 octane recommended by the manufacture!

I always use 94 octane that is available at my local Petro Canada. They also have 91 and 89.

Is using 94 octane overkill? :confused:

Sly_ said:
I always use 94 octane that is available at my local Petro Canada. They also have 91 and 89.

Is using 94 octane overkill? :confused:
I think so. If the manufacturer designs the engine to work most efficiently at a recommended octane, I doubt if they are going to offer you more power if you use something higher.
Maybe a Corvette or other high performance sports car may have additional margin for cranking out even more power with more ocatne. But most cars that could do that are not on the road anymore, unless they were restored, and run over 11:1 compression ratios and hope they will always find fuel for it, so it does not sound like somebody dropped marbles in the intake.
I just don't believe going over 91 will give you any benefit for the majority of today's production cars. And if it does, I doubt it's enough to notice except as less change in your pocket.
Maybe a dyno out there will prove me wrong. :)

As far as I understand, pinging sounds like rocks being thrown around inside your engine.

"The hotter your engine is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The farther your timing is advanced, the more likely your engine is to ping. The higher your compression ratio is, the more likely your engine is to ping. The lower the octane of gas you use, the more likely your engine is to ping. "

97? Wow. I didn't know you needed near race quality gas to slog along in traffic over there.

I just switched gas stations and wow, what a difference ! My Taurus was lucky to get 24 mpg and every other week was stumbling so badly the check engine light would come on steady for a few days. I was ready to replace my O2 sensor.

By the second tank of the new gas, no more check engine light and I'm averaging 28 mpg (sometimes more)...which is what the sticker said for highway driving. And of course I'm just running 87. I think the other place loads up with extra ethanol.

No change in the MDX yet but I finally put in the new air filter I ordered months ago. I was waiting for some major construction to be completed first.

Hi everyone. First post for me. First MDX for me. I am going to be flying to Dallas to pickup a 2001 MDX, hence my first Acura product. Reading with interest the postings re gasoline. I will give you the best/most definitive evaluation on this touchy subject. I will be driving it home, 2,000 miles, over 3 days through mountains, plains, heat, cold (hopefully no snow!).

I will put in 3 tanks of premium, and carefully log the details/results. Then 3 tanks of mid grade and following that, 3 tanks of regular gas. That way with 3 tanks, there will be no 'contamination' and it will allow enough of each gas to go thru the engine. This one has 91k miles on it so it's well broke in. I don't know what to expect as an owner but most people are positive and I hear the engine is pretty good. Having sold a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8, anything is an improvement from that piece of junk.

Feel free to email me any suggestions or help you can recommend including about the upcoming timing belt replacement I hear is required around 100k miles. And yes, I am saving many thousands of dollars compared to here, plus no rust, rock chips and other such damage that we get here. Needless to say I could buy all the MDX's possible and sell them here for a very tidy profit, and could include profit for you. Thank you.

Smiling Phases said:
Hi everyone. First post for me. First MDX for me. I am going to be flying to Dallas to pickup a 2001 MDX, hence my first Acura product. Reading with interest the postings re gasoline. I will give you the best/most definitive evaluation on this touchy subject. I will be driving it home, 2,000 miles, over 3 days through mountains, plains, heat, cold (hopefully no snow!).

I will put in 3 tanks of premium, and carefully log the details/results. Then 3 tanks of mid grade and following that, 3 tanks of regular gas. That way with 3 tanks, there will be no 'contamination' and it will allow enough of each gas to go thru the engine. This one has 91k miles on it so it's well broke in. I don't know what to expect as an owner but most people are positive and I hear the engine is pretty good. Having sold a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8, anything is an improvement from that piece of junk.

Feel free to email me any suggestions or help you can recommend including about the upcoming timing belt replacement I hear is required around 100k miles. And yes, I am saving many thousands of dollars compared to here, plus no rust, rock chips and other such damage that we get here. Needless to say I could buy all the MDX's possible and sell them here for a very tidy profit, and could include profit for you. Thank you.
Be very interested in your experiences. I doubt you will get any meaningful mileage comparisons with different fuels, since you will not be taking the same road every time. But how you feel it runs should be helpful.
Be careful you don't let the tank run too low just to get repeatable results. Not a good idea for more than one reason.
Personally, I would not run under the worst conditions with regular fuel, esp. over mountain passes, etc.
But that's your call and I'm sure many have no problem with it.
(I run 89 almost exclusively).
I would plan on getting the belt changed soon after you get back, along with the water pump (to avoid a bigger bill to replace it later if it goes bad) and of course the spark plugs.
Have a great trip! If the vehicle has been well maintained, you should enjoy the ride!

Smiling Phases said:

I will put in 3 tanks of premium, and carefully log the details/results. Then 3 tanks of mid grade and following that, 3 tanks of regular gas. That way with 3 tanks, there will be no 'contamination' and it will allow enough of each gas to go thru the engine.
First welcome to the group and good luck with your MDX :1:

I do not mean to sound disrespectful, but your proposed "test" will absolutely NOT be definitive. To be a definitive scientific test you would need to drive each grade of gas over the EXACT same course under the EXACT same conditions.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.