Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I do the work and keep pushing the car or is it time to trade it on for a newer model? Torn between no car payment and the repair

·
Registered
187 Posts
Should I do the work and keep pushing the car or is it time to trade it on for a newer model? Torn between no car payment and the repair
Does the car pull a lot at highway speeds even after alignment and do you notice any difference in ride quality as well does your passengers notice any ride quality difference. If no to both then I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no doubt the car needs both ..... it clicks when it turns and the ride is bouncy. Wondering if it's worth it to repair a car with 160K miles. Although it is a Honda ..... afraid of throwing good money after bad.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Can you get a car that's going to require 0 maintenance for a while for $1800+ mdx trade in? Doubt it. You can replace the shocks and axles and the MDX will be good until 210K when the timing belt service is due.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have no doubt the car needs both ..... it clicks when it turns and the ride is bouncy. Wondering if it's worth it to repair a car with 160K miles. Although it is a Honda ..... afraid of throwing good money after bad.
Both of my axles make clicking sound when doing a sharp turn (left or right) in cold weather and the clicking disappear after driving for a while. I assume the grease inside the boot is warming due to friction and it get well lubricated. When the weather is warm there is no clicking.

I think AcuraAddicted have a video on how to replace axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You can probably convert to regular struts/shocks and replace the drive shafts for about 1/2 that cost and still have the ride you are familiar with when the ADS was good to go.

Both my 06 TSX (+160,000 miles) and my 08 RDX (+170,000 miles) were having the same type of maint issues due to age and normal wear/tear. Decided to add the 19 MDX just for peace of mind back in March/19.

·
Registered
895 Posts
JMO, but at $1,800 to keep an existing car on the road, assuming that there are not other pending expensive repairs, that is an easy decision. Do it and keep driving. And if you can do it for significantly less even better. First year depreciation on a new car is often 25% of the purchase price or $12,500 for a $50K car making $1,800 seem like a bargain. If you are unsure of the overall health of the car spend $100 or so for a "used car" inspection at a trust worthy local shop to see where you stand. This platform is typically good for 250-300K with just normal maintenance/repairs. Let's say you spend $3K a year to keep it going which should easily cover you. That's $250 a month average. How much is that new car or even a decent used car going to cost you? OTOH, if you are looking for an excuse and are no longer happy with the car go ahead an ditch it. Just know that it becomes a happiness decision rather than a pure economic decision at that point.

Reactions: kmd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts